PDA

View Full Version : Here's one for you halibut lovers

CaptSalmon
09-27-2006, 09:59 AM
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/525/medium/06_Whale_Pass_Halibut.JPG

After 5 days on the Ayakulik, my son and I hit The Whale Pass lodge for a day of halibut fishing. Even if it was late in the season, we easily filled up our cooler with "chicken" halibut. If you fish here earlier in the year, you can make your trip a combo salmon/halibut trip. Suffice it to say that I'm going back there next summer when the kings are running. The owner told me that not long ago someone caught a sommercially cleaned 114lb king in a gill net. He also showed me a picture of a 350 lb halibut that one fisherman caught not to far from the lodge. The price for a full 5 days of fishing is very reasonable, which is why I'm going back there instead of northern BC.

smithstation
09-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Those chicken buts are the best eating. When we were in Alaska we kept the 20-50 pounders to eat and let the bigger ones go. I did keep a pair of 100#ers my first year and I could actually taste the difference. not so much in flavor but in the flakeyness of the meat.

Sweet catch!!

SLOfisher
09-27-2006, 04:17 PM
CaptSalmon:

Very nice, indeed. Been thinking about a combo trip myself. Do you happen to have the information on their website?