PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Shark Fishing help!!!!

bobby
09-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Just got a new/used boat...

Its 19ft, Century, 228 hp.. old but in great shape, closed bow..

I want to hit the bay this saturday and fish for sharks..

Coming from Santa cruz, up hwy 101..

Where is a good quiet marina to launch from, and where can we find the sharks? Are they just everywhere?

Hows the water conditions out there, everytime i look its glassy?? Is it expected to be windy?

Please, all shark guys who know this area, help me out with alll your info!!!

Fishbutt21
09-14-2006, 08:11 AM
I would recomend Oyster Point harbor to launch and fish the south bay. Just watch the wind in the afternoon.Also get some charts of the bay to find the deeper water for fishing and to see where the shallow water is so you don't spend the day stuck on a mud flat :-/ But most of all have fun and good luck

bobby
09-14-2006, 08:26 AM
is there alot of shallow waters? how deep are the sharks held up at usually?

sounds tricky out there huh?

Fishbutt21
09-14-2006, 08:46 AM
I have caught leopards in as little as 1.5ft of water in san pablo Bay to as deep as 300ft of water outside Bodega Bay and yes it was on the bottom,we were sand dab fishing and the sharks were killing us. As far as in the bay I like to fish for Leopards in the 10-25ft range but that is just because I like to fish lite and enjoy the fight . If you want bigger fish or different sharks(soupfins,six gills) fish the deep water shipping channels just stay to the edge and leave room for ships.Top baits are midshipmen, mackeral fillets ,salmon bellys Some guys like Squid but you will get a lot of rays and small sand sharks. If you are taking the kids out give them Squid and they will stay busy catching fish ;D

bobby
09-14-2006, 09:15 AM
ok, so say I launch at Oyster Point harborr, can I pretty much head straight out to the deepr water and throw in a line and be on fish?

is morning typically calmer waters?

Fishbutt21
09-14-2006, 09:42 AM
ok, so say I launch at Oyster Point harborr, can I pretty much head straight out to the deepr water and throw in a line and be on fish?

If it were that easy there would not be many fish left but its a good place to start ;)
I mostly fish SPB but maybe some one can give you some finer points to where the hot spots are down south. And yes mornings on most days are calmer with the wind coming up in the afternoon

bobby
09-14-2006, 09:47 AM
thx for the info...

is there any launches out of San mAteo that are close to good shark fishing?

Chief_Sniffer
09-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Here's a map of the area outside and north of Oyster Point and the area outlined in red should all be prime leopard country. Scout out the bottom with your fish finder and make sure you see good sized marks. I like to go 16 feet and deeper, but that's just me.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/allenbonslett/sharkmap1.jpg

kromebrite
09-14-2006, 10:09 AM
1) The sharks are found everywhere, but they do concentrate in some areas more than others. I used to look for 20-25 foot of water near channels thinking that was ideal water. I have changed that now to looking for fish that are 2 or 3 feet off the bottom on the fishfinder and then anchoring near them. Hunter Point, Alameda Rockwall, Treaure Island and the above mentioned Oyseter Point are known shark "hotspots" but are hardly the only ones.
2) we have been launching from Alameda. Really like it there.
3) Midshipmen are the choice bait, but are hard to find lately. Squid works, but you get alot of ray attention. Rays are fun lil thumb burners but I get bored with them after the umpteenth one. We have had good success with sardines this last trip and is what we will be using the folowing Saturday when we go out.
4) two schools of thought on hooking them. First is a size 7/0 or bigger , clicker off and rod in the holder. Let the fish hang himself on the hook. Second, around the same size hook only a little smaller maybe and clicker on to let the fish run with the bait and then lay wood to it. I prefer the first option.
5) tides make a difference, as with most bay fish. Big tides seem to be a lot better. I like a strong incoming tide, but have done well with an outgoing at times. Water movement is crucial, slack rarely produces.
6) Just a side "public service announcement" is that this is when the big mommas lay their pups, so I have a preference to release them. The males have two big prongs sticking out by their butts for an ID. I have whacked the females before, so I do not think "oh shame on you" if someone decides that they want to keep a prego female. I just found it hard to gut her and then dump all of these tiny 3" babies into the bay as I kept thinking how those were my future catches! My fishing buddies feel I am too sensitive on the subject and will always, without hesitation, use the pursuader on any legal size leopard shark brought on board. ::)
Good luck! Might be breezy this Saturday?!

bobby
09-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Here's a map of the area outside and north of Oyster Point and the area outlined in red should all be prime leopard country. Scout out the bottom with your fish finder and make sure you see good sized marks. I like to go 16 feet and deeper, but that's just me.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/allenbonslett/sharkmap.jpg
thx for the map!!!! Where is oyster point on there?

thx again!

bobby
09-14-2006, 10:18 AM
1) The sharks are found everywhere, but they do concentrate in some areas more than others. I used to look for 20-25 foot of water near channels thinking that was ideal water. I have changed that now to looking for fish that are 2 or 3 feet off the bottom on the fishfinder and then anchoring near them. Hunter Point, Alameda Rockwall, Treaure Island and the above mentioned Oyseter Point are known shark "hotspots" but are hardly the only ones.
2) we have been launching from Alameda. Really like it there.
3) Midshipmen are the choice bait, but are hard to find lately. Squid works, but you get alot of ray attention. Rays are fun lil thumb burners but I get bored with them after the umpteenth one. We have had good success with sardines this last trip and is what we will be using the folowing Saturday when we go out.
4) two schools of thought on hooking them. First is a size 7/0 or bigger , clicker off and rod in the holder. Let the fish hang himself on the hook. Second, around the same size hook only a little smaller maybe and clicker on to let the fish run with the bait and then lay wood to it. I prefer the first option.
5) tides make a difference, as with most bay fish. Big tides seem to be a lot better. I like a strong incoming tide, but have done well with an outgoing at times. Water movement is crucial, slack rarely produces.
6) Just a side "public service announcement" is that this is when the big mommas lay their pups, so I have a preference to release them. The males have two big prongs sticking out by their butts for an ID. I have whacked the females before, so I do not think "oh shame on you" if someone decides that they want to keep a prego female. I just found it hard to gut her and then dump all of these tiny 3" babies into the bay as I kept thinking how those were my future catches! My fishing buddies feel I am too sensitive on the subject and will always, without hesitation, use the pursuader on any legal size leopard shark brought on board. ::)
Good luck! Might be breezy this Saturday?!

Good info, thx...

I will not be keeping and sharks, I am just fishing for fishing, all will be released back to the waters.
]

so, how much weight? Are u anchored even when the tides are coming in and out?

And what the heck is a Midshipmen?

Chief_Sniffer
09-14-2006, 10:44 AM

thx again!

I marked it with a green dot.

bobby
09-14-2006, 10:58 AM

thx again!

I marked it with a green dot.

COOL! THX!

Looks like we just head straight out and monitor our depths, correct? And start fishing, all we got is squid and chovies..... that will be ok though, right?

Fishbutt21
09-14-2006, 11:03 AM
yes anchored is the way to fish with enough weight to hold the bottom. Maybe 3-8oz or more. Midshipmen are a small baitfish that are 4-10in long and look like a "bullhead" or a sculpin of sorts with a almost glow in the dark tatoo on its stomach and have a nice set of teeth

kromebrite
09-14-2006, 11:55 AM
yes anchored is the way to fish with enough weight to hold the bottom. Maybe 3-8oz or more. *Midshipmen are a small baitfish that are 4-10in long and look like a "bullhead" or a sculpin of sorts with a almost glow in the dark tatoo on its stomach and have a nice set of teeth
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/7359/exactly2pn.gif
Try and get some sardines as well. You will get a great deal of rays with those chovies and squid....hang on! ;)

bobby
09-14-2006, 12:36 PM
are the rays no fun to catch?

kromebrite
09-14-2006, 12:59 PM
They are a lot of fun to catch. They tear line like no tommorrow! It's just after I have caught a number of them , the thrill is gone ;D If you hook up with one I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Be careful, there is a barb at the base of the tail where it meets the body. Slimy critters, though. The bite from a ray will usually be a slight tap tap. Set hook and hang on, They "fly" through the water. Of note is that some of the leopards were doing the tap tap rather than the straight up take down usually associated with a shark this last time we went out. They usaully slam the bait. I say set the hook on any bite you see...... ;)

bobby
09-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I hear ya!

Well looks like sunday is the better day!

Does it get crowded?

fence_man
09-14-2006, 02:06 PM
salmon scrapes work great that's all I ever use for leopards . 7 gills also . put down a chum box with scrapes if you got it . Just fine channel and fish the edge of it . GOOD LUCK!!

kromebrite
09-14-2006, 04:38 PM
No worries on the crowds. Not amny folks are drifting hali or striper in the South Bay now, so you will probaly be alone. post your results, good or bad! Pictures are always a bonus on the boards ;)

I hear good things about salmon pieces. Not sure if it is OK ? A chum bucket, now theres an idea!!!

MoMoney
09-15-2006, 05:56 AM
I will be out there on sat chasin sharks.If you head out the oyster point harbor go straight out and make a left (north) go about 3/4 mile and you will see a buoy marking the channel.Anchor just outside the channel ther in 25 to 27 feet of water.Thats a good area there between oyster point and hunters point.If I havent caught 100 leapords there I havent caught 1.I would buy mackeral and or sardines if you want the best chance at a nice leapord.I use the whole bait and just put a cut in it from the tail and go half way up to get off some scent!!

bobby
09-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Cool, thx guys!!!!

Whats our weekend winds out there in the morning till about noon looking like?

MB_Kevin
09-15-2006, 05:36 PM
If you are coming down from Santa Cruz on 101 I would launch at coyote point. It will be closer and free (they want $10.00 at oyster point but I never see anyone at the gate.) It looks like an easier place to launch your boat too. It is right off 101 the exit is in San Mateo/Burlingame but cant remember the name of the exit right now, but It is right after 3rd ave or you could get off 3rd go to the right and then go left and it wraps around and will bring you there.

Squid will get the sharks just get it down to the bottom. As far a wind I seen it will be more windy on Saturday then Sunday but is almost always nice in the morning.

Good luck and take some pic for us ;)

bobby
09-18-2006, 08:00 AM
ended up with a nasty cold, so going out this saturday now!!

ill launch at San MAteo...

Does anyone have GPS cordinates for the good spots in this area?

kromebrite
09-18-2006, 08:30 AM
No GPS on board the boat I've benn on this Summer. We go by landmarks and marks on the fishfinder.

bobby
09-18-2006, 08:34 AM
no worries, thx!

bobby
09-27-2006, 08:33 AM
Any new reports out of the coyote launch?

I am FINALLY making it out!

also how should i set up my rig?

Fishbutt21
09-27-2006, 08:45 AM
For Leopards I set up with a sturgeon type rig with a sliding sinker and about a three foot steel leader in the 80-100lb class and 8/0 hooks.I like the steel leader in case a soupfin or seven gill takes the bait. sinkers can range in size from 2 oz up to 2lb depending on water depth and speed of the tide. Also a salmon belly will need more weight to stay down then say squid or midshipmen

bobby
09-27-2006, 09:08 AM
they make a sliding sinker that big?

what pound test?

Fishbutt21
09-27-2006, 09:19 AM
The slider I use is a plastic sleeve with a snap attached or molded into it that you can clip any size or style sinker to. I fish with 30-40lb main line

bobby
09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
cool, i got some...

So, from coyote point, how far do we have to drive the boat to get into shark grounds..... just currious, i still feel a bit blind going out there for the first tim

bobby
09-27-2006, 11:51 AM
anyone got a little mre info on C.Point?