PDA

View Full Version : Sand dabs as bait?

Ihavegills
09-18-2012, 08:17 PM
I tried catching squid in Santa Cruz, but none would stick. They just held on for the ride, then let go at the surface. Only sand dabs would stick on the hooks. Can I use them for bait for halibut or white sea bass? I know rockies will take anything...... Any advice would be great. I was using sabiki rigs. Thanks.

bassman408
09-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I don't know how well they work for halibut or WSB, but I know sand dabs are great baits for ling cod.

Also, I know some people have luck bringing up live squid using sabiki rigs, but they sell specific squid jigs that will surely catch you squid if you're set on using live squid.

Good luck.

wmgraphics
09-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I just use the Hogy sand dabs. AK guides swear by them.

Products in Imitator Series (http://www.hogylures.net/category/1050/Imitator-Series/1.html)

Ihavegills
09-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Awesome site. Thanks for the info. They look deadly for jigging.

allkokedup
09-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Why dont ya just get the small squid jigs at the tackle store,they are like the ones for big squid but just smaller...made for small squid

wmgraphics
09-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Gills,

Very cool site, lots of great info. If you use code: NCKA you get 10% off at check out. Get em soon before they shut that code off.

I bought a couple bags of those sand dabs from Hogy, they look awesome. I can't wait to use them this Thurs/ Fri near Fort Ross. I previously bought a couple bags of the 10" Hogy stick baits and killed it outside the Fort. I usually fish Hammers or Fish Trap but these new east coasts baits are my new go to for sure. Plus the price is right for a whole lot of plastic, 4 - 10" baits for under 8 bucks, it's a no-brainer.