PDA

View Full Version : Morro Bay Reds

SLOfisher
09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Well, Jerry and I left the house at 0700 this morning, and headed for the dock at Morro Bay. *Had the boat in the water by 0730, (I hate these long drives) :) *Turned south at the harbor mouth, and headed for the "hump". *It was pretty foggy, so even though the seas were calm, I took it kind of slow - stayed around 20mph for about 40 minutes. *Dropped out lines in 175' of water. *I tried a 9" blu/white swim bait on a 8oz jig head for 20 minutes or so, with no luck. *By then Jerry had boated two small red's on a 10oz torpedo sinker he had rigged with a split ring, and a treble hook. *So, I switched over to an 8oz chrome diamond jig that I had put some prism tape on, and in the next 15 minutes I caught a couple of nice red's, one 6 pounds, and one just over 4 pounds. *Then the bite died, and because we had promised the wive's a fish fry tomorrow evening, we moved into shallower water (100') just off the point at Montana De Oro. *Filled the rest of our limits with blues, olives, and a couple of copper's. *All in all, another great day on the waters of the Central Coast.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/5971/redrockcodwm6.jpg

CORN
09-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Nice job. Is that an Arima?

metalmouth
09-25-2006, 08:47 PM
Slo it's nice to see ya catching fish and postin pics. The boat looks great as well.

MM

SLOfisher
09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Nice job. Is that an Arima?

Corn:

Thanks. Yes, it is a 17' Sea Ranger. 90hp Evinrude, and 9.8hp merc kicker. Two Scotty electric downriggers, Eagle Sea Charter dual-frequency GPS/Sonar, VHF radio, and twin 10 gal. saddle fuel tanks. I love this little boat - can you tell? :)

CORN
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
That's a nice boat. How far have you taken that boat into the ocean? I've got the Sea Hunter and I've been thinking about upgrading to the 17 Sea Chaser. Not quite ready to drop 30 grand, knowing my boat can catch enough fish for now. In due time ... :)

keciga1
09-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Nice fish. I miss those Morro Bay reds.

SLOfisher
09-26-2006, 05:37 PM
That's a nice boat. *
How far have you taken that boat into the ocean? *I've got the Sea Hunter and I've been thinking about upgrading to the 17 Sea Chaser. * Not quite ready to drop 30 grand, knowing my boat can catch enough fish for now. *In due time ... *:)

This is the first year that I've done any saltwater fishing with a boat of my own, so I have been taking it pretty easy. You know, there's a lot to learn about taking a small boat out onto the big blue, and I'm somewhat of a slow learner. So far I haven't been out much further than 12 miles, and that was a day that the conditions were just about perfect. As I become more confident in my abilities, and the electronics, I may go out a little more, but I don't see myself chasing Albacore in my little boat.

CORN
09-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Better safe than sorry. That's my philosophy as well. I only go out when the forecast is good, like this week. Too bad I have to work :-/