PDA

View Full Version : 9-23 bodega

TSL
09-23-2006, 08:10 PM
my dad and i left last evening due to the fire burning our deer country
needed to install a new battery
one went bad
woke up at first light and installed the battery this morning picked up some fuel and headed south to my honey hole
i set up a shrimp fly rig (i used yello/red dad used blue/white)with 1 fly in the middle loop and a 7/0 with a 10" rootbeer grub i bought in bulk off ebay on the bottom loop, snapped on an 8oz. ball attach a piece of squid and sent em down(seems to me that i can let the ball sit on the bottom longer with out getting hung up)
final count
2-nice cabazones
1-14" black (smallest fish caught)
16- coppers and calicos (up to 22")
1-keeper ling
1-14lb ling
1-26lb ling
1-26lb halibut

i dont cull my rockfish (in my opinion a realsed rockfish is a dead fish)
i dont sit on a school of blues or blacks (to many little fish and i do not cull)
i fish structures that are not always apparent and are usually just stumbled upon
my fish may not come as quickly as others get their limits, but my fish are normally of higher quality

TSL

gmdcdvm
09-24-2006, 02:46 AM
Nice report.
I thinks its funny that some people like get early limits. I fish pretty much on party boats, and I like staying out there as long as possible. I enjoy being out there away from it all, and I am always a little bummed when the Captain calls out "Reel'em up, Time to head home". If it were up to me I would stay out there all day.
G

Ushgambala
09-24-2006, 04:26 PM
A 26lb Ling = a hell of a fishing day for me personally ;D

vito
09-24-2006, 05:07 PM
That is quite a haul, and quality fish too. Thanks for the report.

TSL
09-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Nice report.
I thinks its funny that some people like get early limits. I fish pretty much on party boats, and I like staying out there as long as possible. I enjoy being out there away from it all, and I am always a little bummed when the Captain calls out "Reel'em up, Time to head home". If it were up to me I would stay out there all day.
G
what about all night also?

TSL

metalmouth
09-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the report TSL! I always enjoy the read.

MM

triggerfish
09-25-2006, 06:29 AM
TSL,did you get that halibut fishing with that same set up?

joefisher
09-25-2006, 06:54 AM
Thanks for that report TSL. I will be going out of Bodega on Sat 9/30 and I am hoping I will write a similar report. Did you head out to the North or South? Not looking for your honey hole just looking for a suggestion as to a good suggestion to start.

joefisher
09-25-2006, 07:05 AM
OOps got excited and missed that you said you headed south. What did you hook the squid to the shrimp fly or the grub. I'm looking for some new things to try out there this trip beside the plastic squid or shrimp fly with the diamond chrome jig.

TSL
09-25-2006, 03:41 PM
i put a small piece of squid on the fly and like to use the head of the squid with the rubber grub or about 1/3 of the body

the halibut was caught on that rig

we lost 2 sinkers plus 1 complete setup
i also broke one of the fly hooks with pliers trying to remove the hook from a fish

by letting the ball sit on the bottom and twitching the rod tip
i think i am making the bait dance which i belive triggers the strike

i have several jigging bars and i do like to let them slam on the bottom
but with the setup i was using on saturday its more of a lift and sit-twitch-twitch lift sit
the drift was a slow west drift alowing the small weight

TSL