PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the Blacks and the Blues

dbass
09-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Whats the best way from limiting out on blacks & blues right away, because you know the party boat just park you over a giant school of them, I like to get them reddish and orange lookin fish, the black and yellow aren't that bad, but I like the others. I think a heavy weight to get pass them quickly and down to the bottom. Any sugestions? I'm planning to go out on the Goldeneye 2000 in October.

Chief_Sniffer
09-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Fish jigs, avoid using rock cod rigs. Shortest answer. Blacks and blues tend to be in schools, suspended above the rocks. Use a jig big enough to drop through them and fish below.

dbass
09-20-2006, 11:34 AM
That sounds like a pretty good setup, but would you use the chrome colored or the brass/gold color. I should be able to get by with an 8oz., with 20 lb test maxima, or 25 be better.

Intimidator
09-20-2006, 12:25 PM
Just use Chrome hex bars, or use stuff with some bigger hooks, so they can't hit em.

sokoo
09-20-2006, 01:11 PM
To me, the blacks and blues are not like the terrirists and those who harbor them. I don't like the blacks because they are in my opinion the lowest quality rockfish in terms of fighting, taste, and look. Blue rockfish on the other hand are good fighters and very tasty.

If where you fish is shallow enough to use light leadhead jigs in 1oz or so, avoiding them would be easy, just use plastics and don't set hook on them, most of the time they don't get self-hooked. The shrimp fly rigs often hook the little ones. I don't know how well the resident species (gopher, black and yellow, etc.) like the heavy bars.

ocean_314
09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
When i am fishing blues are in huge schools near the surface to the bottom and ar ea pain in the ass. We also get big schools of olives on the surface which are a blast as they are bigger up to 4 lbs. To get past them i use a big dimand jig with a strip of squid it get the lings and reds.

Now when diving it is totally cool to be in the middle of a school fo blues. It a great shoot. kinda like shooting fish in a barrel, its just a huge barrel.

FatCat
09-20-2006, 05:09 PM
I second the chrome hex bars and squid. Use big pieces of squid, even whole squid, and drop it as fast as possible. Sometimes those blacks and blues will hit anyway. If I am annoyed enough I will pretend that i didn't feel them hit and keep dropping my rig all the way down and try to get a hitchhiker or two!

donzitroller
09-20-2006, 08:30 PM
Last time out I did a little fishing outside the box, so to speak.. not on my boat, goofing off, having a good time.. A black and purple Fishtrap with a herring on the hook. Nothing but lings. Just a thought. If you're on a party boat, the anchovies are plentiful! Flash back to opening weekend of rockfish season.. A silver and black tube jig with either squid or anchovy.. nothing but lings. Coincidence? I don't think so. I don't usually drop bars as I like hanging the bottom longer than usual and snag em too often and that gets expensive.

Landlubber
09-20-2006, 09:06 PM
Megabaits and other jigs can be effective in getting past the blues and blacks, but only if you modify the smaller models. The large megabait comes in 6 oz with a single siwash hook and will be able to get past the schoolies. Lighter megabaits come prerigged with trebles. Removing the treble and replacing it with a large siwash hook will greatly reduce the number of hooked blues and blacks. The jig will still get hit on the way through the hordes of blues, but will mostly fail to stick. Switching out to large siwash hooks is effective on other jigs as well. Nice side effect is that you get fewer hangups in the rocks with the single hook.

pontoon_crew
09-20-2006, 09:33 PM
I caught more Lings and alot more quality fish using a 7-8oz diamond metal jig,with Procure anchovy scent

keciga1
09-20-2006, 09:42 PM
Jigs with plastics is all I can say. This might have been a coincidence but last time I was out I was using a 12oz glow in the dark jig while we were fishing for lings and everytime I brought it back up I had a red on.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4808/picturezj0.jpg

dbass
09-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the great input, I think all usea hex bar on the bottom, w/some type plastic, 18" above it. Bye the way going out October 7, join the party, (party boat). Thanks again!

JonnyP
09-21-2006, 08:12 AM
This is a great thread - very informative and useful stuff. I'm still in the 'honeymoon phase' with Rockies, last couple of times, I just found the non-stop action a blast and the opportunity to catch, rather than fish has been great as I've started bringing out a lot more novice anglers on the boat with me. Great way to intoduce them to fishing.

Having said that, I fished almost exclusively with a 16oz hex jig last weekend, with a very small pink hoochie on the treble. All of my action was Ling, red and Olive, so I'll definately second the advice here.

mike22ca
09-21-2006, 08:41 AM
I like to use whole live mackerals on a live bait type setup. Guaranteed ling or big vermillion. Big swimbaits and hex bars with a shrimp fly teaser always work too.

CORN
09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm actually shopping around for a 6-15lb spinning rod to go with my small saltwater reel, specifically for catching those blacks and blues. *It'll be a blast!! *

But to answer your question, I agree with the guys here. *Go big and go heavy. *The faster you can punch it through, the less chance they have of grabbing it.

Depending on the school density, it can be REAL tough getting through. *Here's a shot of over 1000 rockfish sitting under our boat. *The school went from the surface down to 80 feet. *Dead anchovies thrown on the surface got hit in seconds.

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8168/finder3yx6.jpg

fishhogg
09-21-2006, 08:55 PM
or you can cancel your trip and go on the new sea angler out of bodega bay where they have limits of reds, coppers, browns, and lings on almost every trip! The schoolies are for those who dont know where to fish... good luck!

dbass
09-22-2006, 10:53 AM
I went with Rick on 4th of July, group caught some nice gophers, coppers and vermillions, and also two salmon while mooching. They mainly caught them blacks and blues. I like to try different areas.

gmdcdvm
09-22-2006, 11:41 PM
I like some of the ideas everyone has posted, and Ivan I really like you glow in the dark jig you used.

What worked for me well last time was a 7in swim bait, 8oz lead head, and a stinger/assist hook. This was heavy enough to sink past the blues/blacks and end up near the bottom looking for some nice red, etc. A diamond jig (8oz) also seemed to work well for larger vermillion.
Like someone mentioned the olives tend to mix in with the blues/blacks. They are usually a good size, and fight pretty good.
Definitely use bigger baits/jigs, and stay away from shrimp flies if you don't want any blues/blacks.
G

GCinGV
09-24-2006, 07:28 AM
Couldn’t agree more with the big baits = big fish theory, and the bigger the better. You wont catch as many but the quality will be much better.
My favorite Ling bait is a regurgitated Octopus up to about 20 inches long. If we catch a nice Ling that pukes one up we usually toss the Ling back and then fight over who gets to use the Octo for bait.
Blues on a Bass rod is a lot of fun though.
GC