PDA

View Full Version : New, need some advise

JoeGSX
09-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Hello everyone. I am new to CA fishing having lived in Nebraska most my life fishing largemouth and channel cats. I have been out to Suisun a few times for strippers and love it.

Anyways on to my question. I am going to be camping at dillons beach this weekend and need some advise for shore fishing. I have never fished from the shore and im looking for tips on setups, tackle, rigs, bait ect...
I am currently useing a shimmano 6500 on a med/heavy 6.5 ft uglystick. I am spooled with 65lb powerpro. Any advise would be great!

thanks again!

CaliFishier
09-21-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't know much about shore fishing, but first thing you need to do is to ligth up all your things (a lot) if you are looking for some fun, (unless you just want to kill fishes), after that, just search this site for the species you want to fish for and you'll find great info.

Good luck. ;)

gmdcdvm
09-22-2006, 12:44 AM
You can also try www.pierfishing.com for some answers. A lot of shore fisherman there.

As for shore fishing in general the main set ups are anywhere from 6lb to 25lb line (or higher if you are fishing off some cliffs into the rocks).
You can use Carolina Rigs with small grubs for surf perch. A hi/lo set up works well with most baits, but surf perch like sand crabs, shrimp.
You can use small grubs and lures for striper when they are running (don't know about Dillon's). And, if you can find it live baits on a s-way swivel also work well.

Unless you get into some striped bass most surf fishing is primarily surf perch so you don't need a heavy outfit. If you fish the rocks from shore you might want a little heavier stuff.

G