PDA

View Full Version : Need some BUTT help

Happy_Tails
09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
I have never fished for Halibut and I could really use some help. Like where should I fish, how to fish it, and where to launch. Live bait? Where do I get it? Rigging it up? A real BUT rookie here. BTW I have a 16ft aluminum w/25hp

Thanks for any help
Jim

timetofish
09-19-2006, 12:12 PM
Here's a good start: http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/california-halibut-fishing/

Searching the archives will give you a good idea of areas.....BUT going out there in a 16' might be a little risky.

Jumping on a charter when they're targeting butts will give you ALOT of info that takes time to learn.

Good luck.......check out cptfishalot posts........he's been slaying em' lately.

cptfishalot
09-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Check the weather before you go out...I've been launching outta Berkeley Marina and head to the K dock for "Live Bait" It will be Jim or Mike there, tell them "cptfishalot" (JD) sent ya......
I haven't been traveling far from there out to end of the pier and make a left and start your drifts in between the Barges and make sure you keep an eye on them.
3 way swivel with a 4.5 to 5.5ft leader and drop to the bottom...
Sometimes they have a "Lite" bie and you have to watch your pole othertimes you just know you have a FISH ON....
Good Luck...

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/DSC01857_Small.JPG

Know_Excuses
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Nice fish!! That huge grin says it all,lol ;D

Happy_Tails
09-19-2006, 04:52 PM
I was thinking of jumping on a charter my first time out. I would prefer to go out with a guide one on one if possible but no more than 3. I like to ask lots of questions. I am not to worried about going out on a 16ft boat. I take my boat in ocean out of Bodega when it's calm and I do know when to get off and when to not even try and go out. Thanks for the help.

fishenrick
09-19-2006, 09:05 PM
It has been awhile, but I used to fish for sharks there in the bay and if I remember right it gets pretty rough coming back into berkley in the afternoon, I also fish bodega in the long rollers but berkley has the short rollers, which can be wet and miserable, took my ex out there once and she has not been back. We stayed out a little to long that day.
Bodega and Berkeley are two different types of conditions, both are a blast to fish and both you have tp pay respect to mother nature.

fishenrick

Happy_Tails
09-20-2006, 07:29 AM
I hear ya fishenrick. My wife went with me to Pyramid Lake last year for the fest. She enjoyed the big trout but not the short and quick 4ft rollers.

cptfishalot...Weater permit I will be out on Saturday morning. What radio ch do you use in the bay?

cptfishalot
09-20-2006, 10:37 AM
I never usually get out on the weekends........
I monitor 68 on the VHF on the boat and on my handheld I scan 88,16,19.....
Good luck out there when you get out......... ;D