PDA

View Full Version : wanted to say hi and ask for some help rockfishing

tacoboy
09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
hey
i just wanted to introduce myself to this forum,and ask for some help
ill start off by saynig *im 14,so some of the things i may say later on might be consider foolish
and if you go to rockaway beach,and you see *kid fishing it in waders,that is probablly me :)

anyways, i was wondering what kind of tackle and bait you use the cabbizones......
(im not too sure bout my spelling,but im sure you know the fish im trying to spell)

i was at rockaway not lnog ago when i was talking to a guy named sam,he showed me a cabbizone he caught earlier off the rocks,after seeing it,i figured it would be fun to fish for

but you see i have no idea on what tackle i should use or bait for that matter

i have 2 rods right now

a 10 ft MH beefstick by daiwa,with 20 pound mono

and

a 10 ft ml congence by shimano i use for surf perch that i use with 10 pound mono

which rod should i use?

what kind of bait should i use

FINALLY,what kind of rig should i use?

yes,im full of questions :)

cptfishalot
09-16-2006, 02:58 PM
Hey there young person, I just wanted to say "Hello" back to you and "Welcome" to the boards......

I don't do any fishing from shore, but just keep an EYE on your post and I'm sure your gonna get some helpful information....

Remember, be careful when in the water out there...

gmdcdvm
09-16-2006, 04:03 PM
Welcome to the boards.
As for your question you might want to try www.pierfishing.com along with this board. There are a lot of shore fishermen on that board who might be able to help you out.

Off the top of my head I don't know if cabezone need anything special. They are similar to rock fish and ling cod in that they go after the same baits. Its mainly a matter of luck that you stumbel upon one. They tend to be in shallower water (i think) and rocky structure. We'll catch the occasional one on a party boat, but usually only when fishing near shor.

Sorry I can't be of much more help, but I am sure others will be. The gear you have is fine as far as I know.
G

p.s. By the way cabezone taste great. They have a lot of bones, but they taste good. Some people say the taste like lobster. I don't think so but either way they are good to eat.

Uncle_Sam
09-17-2006, 12:55 AM
DO NOT EAT CABEZON EGGS! THEY ARE POISONOUS!

That being said, cabezon are delicious. The meat is baby blue until cooked. They like abalone trimmings, but squid strips work well. I caught two fishing from shore one afternoon in Stillwater Cove.

Another trick some people like is to use a cast-a-bubble just above the rock cod rig. The idea is that when the line hits the water, the bubble will stay on the surface as the weight pulls the line vertically to the bottom. That way you get fewer snags than you would dragging the rig horozontally across the bottom.

hair_raiser
09-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Howdy tacoboy! Squid is a good bait. Also fish traps, grubs on a lead head will work great.
Good luck
Jay

dukedempsey
09-17-2006, 12:18 PM
when i was a kid we would catch em at morri's point with pile worms.we'd get the worms outta the mussels off the rocks used the little bags with rocks or old sparkplugs from our dirtbikes for weights and #12 snelled hooks......man that was a long time ago

FatCat
09-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I second the ab guts. They are cabezone candy!

Your rigs sound fine. You don't need anything fancy.

In fact, one technique that is kinda fun is poke poling. Get a long bamboo rod, tie on on a 6"-1' wire and a short piece of 100lb test line and a hook. Bait it up with the ab guts or squid and poke the business end of your rig into spaces between the rocks. You can get cabezone and a lot of wolf eels this way. Be careful out there!

Fish_R_Us
09-18-2006, 11:49 AM
According to the "experts' the Cabezone's primary diet are those small green crabs that are found all over the rocky ledges. The best size to use are the dollar and 1/2 dollar sizes. You can use a typical double loop 20-30 lb. surf leader with a squid strip on the bottom and a green crab on the top hook. Use a 2-6 oz sinker, depending on surf/surge conditions. Aim to place your bait in the deep holes, in between the rocks because that's where the fish wait and hide for something to drift by. These fish are terrirorial, they seem to stay close to their lair. If you don't get a hit, wait only 5-10 minutes before going to the next hole. Good Luck, please let us know how you did.