PDA

View Full Version : Crab Season

Seon
10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
It starts in November 3rd and will probably be like a zoo that weekend.

So who's going out?

White Cap and I will wait until that Tuesday after to launch at Bodega Bay.

nayr
10-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Well im off that weekend and i have the following thursday friday off so i got options. the weather will determine my fate. i will be dropping pots in tomales bay

ngt
10-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Last year I was on the inside rock jetty in Bodega on opening day...along with like 200 other people, lol. What a mess. I saw people diving into the channel in their underwear to un-snag ropes and even a ranger fell in. Crazy day. I'm not doing that again. I was hoping to upgrade my boat by this season, but I still have my 12 ft deep v. It's so sketchy packing all up and driving all of the way out there and having the waves be too rough for my little boat to get out of the channel. Being that close after all of that prep and having to turn around and go home sucks. Happened with my brother and I last year. Coast guard pulled up and told us to head back in. :(

littledude
10-10-2012, 05:29 AM
If the weather is good I'll be out there all weekend. Last year the weather was "Ok" for the opener if you didn't mind a sprinkle. This year looks like that shouldn't be the case. Just hope the wind is down.

Good luck to all on the opener and be safe!!

Littledude

Fishbutt21
10-10-2012, 08:19 AM
I will be fishing up the coast from Bodega if the water is decent otherwise I have money allotted for Cabelas in Reno and the crab will just have to wait until the following weekend

C U FISHING
10-10-2012, 09:10 PM
How far out / depth do you go out to set your crab pots? Just wondering if it is save on a 17' deep V boat. Thinking about going out for the first time for dungeness. Thank you.

C U FISHING

Fishbutt21
10-12-2012, 05:54 PM
How far out / depth do you go out to set your crab pots? Just wondering if it is save on a 17' deep V boat. Thinking about going out for the first time for dungeness. Thank you.

C U FISHING

I have small sport pots that I run in 75-80 ft of water and large comm. pots set up for 250-300 ft. but I also have a 26ft boat. a 17 would be ok on flat days but play it safe and stick close to port unless you have another boat to run with until you get the experiance to go out alone

Jason
10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
Probably going November 10th and dropping pots just outside Salmon Creek.

Surfcaster1
10-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Last year i was at Lawsons ZOO I Mean Landing got limits for 6 great day i was using tuna in my pots and rock cod in another tuna was geting 3 to 1 on the crab's will be back again this year BTW Stay off the pier that place was a Zoo could not walk out their.

striperking13
10-19-2012, 10:47 PM
ahhaah dont even start talking about last year's opener lol.. That wasn't a zoo lol... That was beyond a zoo, lol. The line just to launch was ridiculous , backing up all the other cars coming in. There were just too many people crabbing, where are the crabs gonna hide??? lol. So many pots going in and out of the water right next to each other. The weather was ok in the am, the afternoon got crazy with the rain coming in, i mean big rain drops and windy. Gonna stick to golden gate, closer to home and probably not as crazy.. I can be wrong lol. but going on a weekday, gonna wait it out... C U FISHING, last year i went out about 10 times in my 18.5 crestliner just outside the gates. I am not sure about bodega, but outside the gates, as long as you do ur homework and pick the right days. It's pretty calm and flat. Hope that helps. Went out almost every month from november till like March. Best months are nov and Dec. Be safe and make sure you double check regs, boat regs are different once you are in open water. FISH ON

C U FISHING
10-21-2012, 07:15 PM
ahhaah dont even start talking about last year's opener lol.. That wasn't a zoo lol... That was beyond a zoo, lol. The line just to launch was ridiculous , backing up all the other cars coming in. There were just too many people crabbing, where are the crabs gonna hide??? lol. So many pots going in and out of the water right next to each other. The weather was ok in the am, the afternoon got crazy with the rain coming in, i mean big rain drops and windy. Gonna stick to golden gate, closer to home and probably not as crazy.. I can be wrong lol. but going on a weekday, gonna wait it out... C U FISHING, last year i went out about 10 times in my 18.5 crestliner just outside the gates. I am not sure about bodega, but outside the gates, as long as you do ur homework and pick the right days. It's pretty calm and flat. Hope that helps. Went out almost every month from november till like March. Best months are nov and Dec. Be safe and make sure you double check regs, boat regs are different once you are in open water. FISH ON

Thank you STRIPERKING13 I will take all advice that I can get since this will be my first time targetting for dunginess. Hear crabby crabby crabby, Hear crabby crabby crabby...

C U FISHING

starcraft69
10-23-2012, 02:55 PM
I cant wait till we go!! We always go the weekend after opening but this year we have to go a little later like the 15th. Hopefully there will still be some good crabbing. well good luck to all.

SF21
10-31-2012, 11:59 AM
Ill be out at lawsons this weekend, maybe even dig some clams.

myko
11-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Just got my new crab net. Ready to go. Although I will miss opening night, I will be out on the half moon bay rock pier on the morrow! Can't wait.