PDA

View Full Version : Diving for ab from a kayak

red_dog
09-14-2006, 07:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the basics about diving from a kayak. I tried it about a month ago but was too sea sick to get into the water. The main questions I have are do you wear your weightbelt and full dive gear when you are paddeling to the dive spot? I found it very challenging to reach behind my seat to grab my weight belt, mask and fins without leaning too much, I was sea sick so I'm sure it was more difficult than normal.

ocean_314
09-14-2006, 07:56 PM
you might give a call to the Fort Bragg dive shop. They should have all the information that you need to know

Fishbutt21
09-14-2006, 10:05 PM
The few times I have dove for ABs off my kayak I had all my gear on and just had my mask around my neck and had my goodie bag hanging off the kayak. It was hard to get back on top of the kayak with the weight belt on though

red_dog
09-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the info

Rusty_Hooks
09-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Years ago when I was still going out there and imitating sea elephants?

We would take an inner tube and fit a gunny sack over the top and sew it closed except for a hole about 12" long....a thin line and a fishing weight for a small anchor and you're set

with the small upright dive flags they had then it was perfect....get in the surf and swim out with the tube, anchor the puppy and go get em.

getting in and out of the kayak seems like alot of trouble unless you have one of those open jobs...kinda like a big inner tube ::) ;)

Truck tubes work better...at least for those of us that closely resemble sea elephants ;D ;)

basil
09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
First it is really nice to have a sit on top (SOT) kayak with hatches front and rear. A single forward hatch is good, too.

You paddle to your dive spot in just your wetsuit. I find it is good to have a nylon underwear type shirt on underneath. This stops a tight wetsuit from chaffing your armpits.

Once you get to your spot you can tie up on to some kelp, usually a few wraps and a clip to clip to the line works best. My personal preference is to have a small foldable anchor and 25 feet of line. Watch out, though, the anchors have a habit of jamming in rocks.

Now, if you keep your mask and snorkle in the rear hatch you have two choices:

1) Jump off the yak and put the stuff on in the water.

2) Carefully spin around and face the rear hatch and take your stuff out. Put on what you can and turn around to put your fins on. THE SPIN: to turn in the kayak, I put my feet up and hands up and do a balanced turn in the kayak.

When you return to the yak, the easy way to undress is in the water and put your stuff in the hatch, then close and strap the hatch. Now get in the kayak. This means a finning leap out of the water, about center in the cockpit. You should be laying on your stomach with your butt even with the cockpit. Now you roll over and this lands your ass in the seat section, now a careful turn and your in. Hopefully you have your paddle tied to the yak and it is nearby.

Now paddle toward your anchor (because it is clipped or going over the nose of the yak) and when you have enouth slack in the line use your paddle to get the line and pull the anchor in.

Fish_R_Us
09-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Let's see, being a veteran North Coast diver. I'm figuring that I'd probably suit up and put my fins and mask/snorkel in a goodie bag to be put on when I get to the dive spot. Weight belt? I dont think it would be comfortable to kayak with the belt on since you have to deal with the kayak flaps that help keep the water out of the boat. That might get you hung up in case you roll and have to make a quick exit. I'd probably find a way to secure it inside the kayak and put it on with the fins and mask. That way you still have all the full bouyancy in case you get in trouble with rouge wave. I'd also probably be too tired to be able to get back into the kayak along with all your gear AND your goodies. I always have to stress that you should be diving with a buddy and that you guys should stay close to one another incase one of you run into some trouble. Also don't tie your goodie bag to your waist, you dont want to be floating, self propelled chum bucket. Place your prey in a netted inner tube like previously noted.

Flipper266
09-15-2006, 01:31 PM
check out
www.norcalkayakanglers.com

Lots of guys on there dive and post great info!

Fishbutt21
09-15-2006, 08:40 PM
since I always dive with a buddy and none of my friends have a Kayak I bought a tandem or two person kayak. That was ten years ago,they are soo much fun the family now has three tandems that we fish and dive from

basil
09-17-2006, 02:59 PM
since I always dive with a buddy and none of my friends have a Kayak I bought a tandem or two person kayak. That was ten years ago,they are soo much fun the family now has three tandems that we fish and dive from

Tell me more about your tandems. Do you have a brand preference what are the things you like about your brand and things you would change.

My buddy and I have been using single sit on tops for years, but think a tandem could have some big advantages. We were thinking it might have a big advantage in shore pound, since one guy could guide it into the waves while one person was ready to get the paddle going. Also, it would have the added advantage of having one person to paddle and net while you played your fish.

Fishbutt21
09-18-2006, 07:59 AM
We have one kayak that is a Malibu Two made by "Ocean Kayak" and two Apex's made by "Pelican" all three are about 12.5-13ft long and about 36in wide.There are so many kayaks on the market now its hard to say whats best but the Pelicans were about half or two thirds the cost of most others we looked at and they perform really well.Also keep in mind that none of the ones I have came with hatches or rod holders but were added after I had bought them.