PDA

View Full Version : First timer for Dungeness Crabs

C U FISHING
10-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Hello all, I went out for red crabs last weekend inside Bodega Bay jetty with the family and we had a great time. Now I want to take a step up and go for some dungeness next month. Need to know if being my first time out for dungeness should I go out of Half Moon Bay or Bodega Bay out side the jetty. Where would one think it would be safer for a first timer. I have a 17' deep V. Thank you in advance.

C U FISHING

nayr
10-11-2012, 02:06 AM
i crab out of my 12ft aluminum in tomales bay. thats probably the safest place if your unsure about the weather. as far as depths go you will find crab anywhere... example, in tomales im dropping pots in anywhere from 20 to 35 ft of water. i think the most important thing to consider when dropping crab pots is organizing the placement of your pots. avoid dropping them in high traffic areas and try your best to create a straight line out of themmaking it easy for fellow boaters to navigate around or through your gear.
best of luck

Seon
10-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Tomales Bay is probably the safest but there will be lots of pots out there so don't drop yours too close, it's protocol.

littledude
10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I've dropped pots in tomales on opening day of dungeness and it is a zoo but the safest place. If you do tomales I would try to be one of the first to launch and I would pay the extra for tractor launch. If you haven't fished out of tomales ask the locals about how to get out to the channel. Its very shallow so be careful, I have hit a few sand bars there. If you do bodega I would watch the weather closely. If its going to be bumpy don't go. There can be some big swells out in the outer bay. If you fish tomales 20-30' is as deep as you need to go. Bodega outerbay anywhere from 50-250'. As far as how far out to go you can work outside the jetty (just not in front of the mouth or risk losing pots from people running them over), by the beach or go out to tomales, or even up to the Russian river. It all good out there just need to know your limits and hope the crab are there. Last year we dropped all over the outer bay and did very well. When I had my 18.5' I played in tomales and pulled limits no problem. Just get out to the main channel and drop on the east side of the channel.

Good luck and be safe,
Littledude

ngt
10-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Just remember, unless you have a pulley setup, the deeper you drop them, the further you have to pull them up. We've always done fine (meaning limited out) between 30-60 in either Tomales or Bodega. I know people who like to go out to 150ft without pulleys, but I am not in the best of shape and like being able to use my arms the following day.

C U FISHING
10-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Thank you all for the respond. I guess Tomales Bay will be the best bet. I will gogle earth it to get an idea what the bay looks like.

C U FISHING

WLShafor
10-11-2012, 08:55 PM
I have always wanted to go crabbing :-)

Great info thanks for the tips and advice

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

nayr
10-12-2012, 11:38 AM
print out a copy of tomales bays depth chart, unless your boat has a chartplotter, its helpful

starcraft69
10-23-2012, 03:14 PM
bodega is fine for that boat. If all the other small craft is going out you can too. I take a 16' starcraft out the last three years and you dont have to go to far out at all the bay is 40 - 60 feet. As for safety the coast gard is right there and they are all over the water and doing inspections on all the small craft. Make sure you learn the regs its a little differant in ocean you need flairs. Plus all the other boats. I was very scared my first year untill I just did it. You will love it. If you can hook up with another boat and stay close till you are comfortable. Take a look at this vid you can see its not to bad. when wether is good its pretty nice.

http://youtu.be/foh2aORo_XE

C U FISHING
10-23-2012, 08:39 PM
bodega is fine for that boat. If all the other small craft is going out you can too. I take a 16' starcraft out the last three years and you dont have to go to far out at all the bay is 40 - 60 feet. As for safety the coast gard is right there and they are all over the water and doing inspections on all the small craft. Make sure you learn the regs its a little differant in ocean you need flairs. Plus all the other boats. I was very scared my first year untill I just did it. You will love it. If you can hook up with another boat and stay close till you are comfortable. Take a look at this vid you can see its not to bad. when wether is good its pretty nice.

http://youtu.be/foh2aORo_XE

I've seen your video about 2-3 times already on YouTube when I was searching crabbing in Bodega Bay. The weather look so nice that day. I love the song, one of my favorite song from Brad.