PDA

View Full Version : First ocean trip, first BIG seasick

CaliFishier
09-10-2006, 09:19 PM
Jeez, went out to bodega today and start fishing @ maybe 1 mile out from Westside, just fish for about 30 mins. and get a terrible seasick, try to stay so see if i feel better but no way, had to get the hell out off the water cause barely can breath. :o

So, after all that at least come back with 4 rokies about 12" each, two blacks and 2 blues(i think) that actually delicious.

Pills for the next trip!!!

LuLu22
09-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Try the pills and I have been sucessful with ginger. Both candy Ginger and the Good Ginger Ale at the health foods store. In any case keep hydrated. Thanks for the report on the fishing. I'm glad you got a few for your troubles!
Ron
:)

CaliFishier
09-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I will try some of that for the next trip and see how it work for me.

red_dog
09-13-2006, 08:11 AM
If you were that sick chances are ginger will not help you, I'm in the same boat when it comes to sea sickness. Try marazine (Cyclizine) it costs more but makes you less drowsey. Albersons can order it but most places don't stock marazine you can also get it online. Good luck.

SLOfisher
09-13-2006, 11:13 AM
I haven't been seasick - yet -, (knock on wood) but I have noticed that I sometimes get a little queasy while tying knots, or otherwise concentrating something in the boat. Does this happen to any of you others? Oh, yeah, sometimes the recliner "rocks and rolls" for a couple of hours after I get home. :)

cabbagehead
09-13-2006, 12:33 PM
*Oh, yeah, sometimes the recliner "rocks and rolls" for a couple of hours after I get home. :)
I get "stillness illness" bigtime after a day or more out on the water. I walked into the wall in our hotel the last time I got off a 2-day *:o. I was ready for the ground to roll back and straighten me out, but it never happened ...BOOM! *[smiley=rotfl2.gif]
In the shower I roll for a few days as well.

TSL
09-13-2006, 02:40 PM
knot tying makes me a little uneasy also when i am trying to be a good skipper and rig for my crew so they can keep fishing
but if you think about it
if you are staring at your hands your head rocks back and forth
if staring at the horizon your knees and hips rock and your head stays some what motionless

and it is amazing how you can actually fall over in the shower

TSL

CaliFishier
09-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks a lot for the tips guys.

bluestar
09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
An old delivery captain (Terry Tupper, some Sac area folks might know him) once explained to me how seasickness occurs:

There is an organ inside our ears that senses the stability of the body. Under normal circumstances the body should be stable. If instability is detected, the organ inteprets it as body is falling because the person is fainting. This triggers the brain to initiating vomitting in attempt to rid the body of whatever that is causing the perceived "fainting", frequently bad food.

So the way to minimize seasickness is to try to make that stability-detecting organ thinking the body is stable, even though the water might be rough. One method is to look afar at the horizon which is always stable. This would be similar to the spinning skater looking up at the one point on ceiling that is stationary.

Another method is to anticipate waves hitting and rocking the boat, bend your knees and use them as shock absorbers to offset some of the fluctuations. This works mainly when boat is moving at higher speed; it's similar to skiiers moving through moguls and are able to keep upper body stationary.

I don't know how seasickness medicine works but I suspect it somehow supresses the function of that organ.

If all else fails, the captain told me each person eventually gets used to the waves; just that the duration of this getting used to can be somewhat different. So, we may just decide to tough it out.

CaliFishier
09-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Wow, sometimes i can't understand the human body.
So anyway, my problem is when i'm drifting, when i'm going at some speed i found it somehow fun and just feel fine.

Salm-ON
09-14-2006, 12:32 PM
If all else fails, the captain told me each person eventually gets used to the waves; just that the duration of this getting used to can be somewhat different. *So, we may just decide to tough it out

I was on my first trip out of half moon bay and was sick for eight hours straight and never got used to those constant waves. When I go diving the boat ride usually always turns me green but as soon as I hit that ice cold water BAM im fine. So if you are gettin green just jump off the boat ;D just kiddin. I use dramamine it works fine but the nondrowsy kind doesent work for me. To tell you the truth the regular ones just barley get me by. I think the key is to find what works for you. Then tell me what it is. * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ps. Dont jump off of any boats

donzitroller
09-14-2006, 02:21 PM
I haven't been seasick - yet -, (knock on wood) but I have noticed that I sometimes get a little queasy while tying knots, or otherwise concentrating something in the boat. *Does this happen to any of you others? *Oh, yeah, sometimes the recliner "rocks and rolls" for a couple of hours after I get home. :)
I don't get queasy unless the water is REALLY bad, mostly it's the side rollers that get me.. especially drifting! That's why I have leaders and hooks pre-tied when I go out.. someone pops a rig, BAM.. on goes another one! Takes some time to make the preps but allows you to get your line back in the water and prevents your eyes from lookin down.

I know guys that pop a Dramamine the night before and then another in the morning. Might be worth a try!

Rusty_Hooks
09-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Just keep in mind...once you feel quezzy...it's too late to pop the Dramamine....

It needs to be in your system and affecting the balace part of your inner ear.

Bonine...an hour before you go out and ginger...just take a chew and keep chewing...I think the chewing distracts you as much as it helps...it does help BTW

My first time seasick...I will never forget it....7 years old...out of Princeton...down a long, long wood pier and then down the LONG steps to the boat with my Grandfathers hand.....OMG did I get it....The guy next to me was eating peas out of a can and drinking beer and I'm blowing groceries all day.

I could reach the water on the down roll and was a MILE from it on the upside. Finally got to catch fish in between blows but .....in my mind forever!! :P....That was 55 years ago ;D ;D..

still get quezzy if I don't take something...just ask Doc ;)

kromebrite
09-14-2006, 08:14 PM
knot tying makes me a little uneasy also when i am trying to be a good skipper and rig for my crew so they can keep fishing
but if you think about it
if you are staring at your hands your head rocks back and forth
if staring at the horizon your knees and hips rock and your head stays some what motionless

and it is amazing how you can actually fall over in the shower

TSL
I'll pretend I did not read that. My idol is tarnished. :-/ ;D
No beer. No salami sandwhiches. I take Bonine one tab the night before and another right when I get up so it is in my system before boarding.
Almost ready for that Blowdega test run........last time was three years ago and it was not pretty ten miles or whatever off the Marin shore. Going to Dillons Beach in October. Do I dare????? ;D ;D
RH is right, too bad so sad once it starts happening. Like I learned a long time ago, have your protection before the act. ;)
If i was in warm Mexican waters, no problem jumping off the boat. Bodega......uh.....no. ::) ;D

Landlubber
09-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Everyone's different when it comes to mal de mar, but for me a good night's sleep, and avoiding an empty stomach seem to do the trick. I usually take dramamine, or use a scopalmine patch, but both have side effects (drowsyness with dramamine and dry mouth with the patch). Bonine is another option, which like the patch lasts longer than dramamine. If I start to feel quesy, I do exactly opposite of what my body seems to be telling me - I eat. The quesyness usually goes away if eat an apple or something else.

So far I have only completely succumbed twice to seasickness - not a worse feeling in the world. Once on a really rough day and 2/3rds the party boat was worshipping the waves, and the other time was day one of a 4-day long range trip out of San Diego. On the long range trip I was still quesy when I got up for day 2, but settled down after I ate a bit of breakfast.

The other option may be to try going on a party boat instead of a personal boat. The bigger the boat, the better it handles the swell, and less bouncy the ride. On the other hand, there may be more people to join in the misery, and the partyboats don't return because a few people are not taking the rock 'n roll of the ocean.

CaliFishier
09-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Jeez, of course, i did exactly the opposite of what i supposed to be done, sleep just about 3 1/2 hours, and empty stomach cause my everyday breakfast is just "mate" *:o , yes, i know that maybe 9 of 10 of you guys are asking yourself "what a hell is that", it's an infusion very traditional from Uruguay my original country in a few words is just hot water, but if curious here is a link: http://noborders.net/mate/friendship.html

I hate food in the morning, but i think will be helpfull a good american breakfast. *;)