PDA

View Full Version : TOMALES BAY 9-5

GREENHORNET
09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
HEADED TO TOMALES BAY TODAY SEE IF THERE WERE ANY HALIBUT AROUND.CAUGHT LOTS OF BAIT AND HEADED TO THE MOUTH.ONE FISH CAUGHT,MAYBE 5 BOATS.FISHED PELICAN PT 1 BITE AND THAT WAS IT.MAYBE NEXT WEEK

CaliFishier
09-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Jeez, sorry about that, well, like you say "maybe next week".
How do you catch your bait? throw net or sabiki?

exocet
09-06-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the report Greenhornet.

GREENHORNET
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
HI,THE BEST WAY TO CATCH A LOT OF BAIT IS TO GET SOME FISH SCRAPS OR CARCUSES AND GRIND THEM THEN YOU PUT THEM IN ONION SACKS AND FREEZE THEM IN SAY 5 TO 7 LB BLOCKS.ANCHOR BY THE WEED BED AND PUT IT OUT AND YOU HAVE THOSE SMELT SWARMING BEHIND THE BOAT.USE A SABIKI RIG TIPPED WITH NIGHT CRAWLERS AND YOU GET TWO AT A TIME,AND WITH A COUPLE PEOPLE DOING IT YOU CAN HAVE 40 TO 50 BAITS IN A VERY SHORT TIME.THE THING I NOTICE IT SEEMS IS THE MORE BAIT THERE IS THE POORER THE FISHING.MY BEST DAYS EVER AT TOMALES HAVE BEEN WHEN I COULD ONLY CATCH TEN OR TWELVE AND IT SEEMS LIKE YOU CATCH ONE ON EVERY BAIT AND THEN YOU RUN OUT AND IT JUST SEEMS LIKE YOU COULD CATCH THEM FOREVER IF YOU HAD MORE BAIT.SO LONG AND I WILL HAVE A HALIBUT OR SHARK UPDATE NEXT WEEK

Ushgambala
09-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Wet catfood works very well too. I use a 6ft cast net now and get more bait then I know what to do with in a few casts. They run about 35-50 bucks. well worth it! ;)

65whaler
09-12-2006, 12:31 PM
i caught a 23# halibut on the 3rd at abbot's. everyone around me was using live bait. i think it's over rated. a good bait spin will do ya.