PDA

View Full Version : S.o.b

NorcalAngler
10-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Hunted fairly hard this year. Lots of research, scouting, spending money on equipment tags and such. I've been skunked all year. But WTF!? I'm driving down the street and whada ya know, a damn buck runs out as I'm doing 45 and smack! My cries turn to laughter as I repeat that's just my luck. My Jeep is practically immobile as the impact jammed the radiator into the fan. I didn't even think of taking that ******* home with me an to tell you the truth I wasn't even sure it was legal. I was too caught up on trying to figure out how the hell I'm getting home. What a season! All in all. Tag or not. One should be able to keep a deer if they hit it with a car because that was the $2,500 deer that didn't get away, but got away from my freezer.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/19/usehyqad.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/19/nymygeza.jpg

salmonid
10-18-2012, 09:27 PM
That really sucks!

sorry about the no game shot and car woes!

bretmoua
10-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Nice buck but sorry about your luck. It's a good thing you didn't pick up the buck and take it home. It would not have been legal. On the other hand, you could have said that you hit a doe and shot the buck. Now that would have been perfectly legal. LOL

hooks
10-19-2012, 11:48 AM
roadkill | California Outdoors Q and A (http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/tag/roadkill/)

Question:A friend recently hit a deer, causing about $1,200 damage to the vehicle. He picked up the deer and put it in his truck to take home for food. He was stopped by a sheriff’s deputy who told him to take the deer out of his vehicle or he would be cited. I heard that it is legal to pick up “roadkill.” Can you please clarify this? (Sandy B.)
Answer: The officer was correct. It is illegal to pick up roadkill wildlife in California. No one may possess wildlife in any form unless the animal was legally taken by a licensed hunter during the hunting season for that species and while using approved harvest methods. Given this, even if the first criteria were true (your friend was a licensed hunter), motor vehicles are not a legal method of take. The next time your friend sees an animal killed on the roadway, he should not attempt to retrieve it for any purpose.

hooks
10-19-2012, 11:57 AM
.....looking to see if a deer has to be alive before you shoot it???LOL

redneckpunk
10-19-2012, 12:38 PM
.....looking to see if a deer has to be alive before you shoot it???LOL

That was my first thought

~RNP

Bainter1212
10-19-2012, 12:44 PM
I would think technically the deer attacked your jeep, so you could shoot it in self defense just in case it woke back up and resumed its assault. Happening to have a tag at the ready is just a happy coincidence :)

"One Fish" Bainter

NorcalAngler
10-19-2012, 03:16 PM
motor vehicles are not a legal method of take.

Hahaha! Thats funny! It would be cheaper to buy the best equipment out there whether bow or rifle then to keep paying for your car to get fixed..... Ah. unless you had a steel bumper with a brush guard!

Reel Fun
10-20-2012, 09:23 AM
Where there is a will....there is a way!!

RF

bretmoua
10-22-2012, 07:39 AM
where there is a will....there is a way!!

Rf

amen!!!!!!!

D. Lloyd
10-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Not to go against what the law says, but I while at the dfg nimbus office last year during deer season, a guy showed up with a deer from his farm in colusa and after he explained to the captain that he hit it he then sold him a tag and validated it and allowed him to keep it? Anyone know why that is? I overheard it first hand but this special circumstances?

Reel Fun
10-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Only "approved methods of take" are allowed. Hitting it with a vehicle and killing it then tagging it is not. But...hitting it with a vehicle then dragging into the woods and shooting it thus killing it and then tagging it should be legal since you are using a legal method of "take". All you would need to know is that it was alive when you killed it......but as someone said earlier....I do not think there is anything in the law that specifically says it needs to be alive when you use an approved method to take it? But we all know "take" is to kill...

RF

Bainter1212
10-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Hey Lloyd,
Think about it from the rangers' point of view. The guy hit it with his car. He then drives all the way to a DFG office (with todays gas prices) and tells the ranger (honestly) that he hit it with his car. He PAYS for a tag and has it validated. Then he drives back home. The officer just collected the price of the tag (a boon to our dry state coffers), was able to collect the survey info, and kept a rotting deer off the side of the road. IMHO this should be how these "road incidents" are handled. A lot easier for everyone invloved. The crucial thing that seperates poaching from hitting a deer in the road, is 1) its almost impossible to do it on purpose and 2) nobody wants to wreck their car by hitting a deer.

Reel Fun
10-28-2012, 03:54 PM
A poacher could have a front end damaged car and just shoot many deer and say he hit it first and then dispatched it? There are alot of scenarios that could come out....?? I think the rule is fine to leave rod kill alone...but I also think if you hit it with a vehicle and there is edible meat and you are willing to clean the carcass and prepare it then thats just fine as well. This is another one of those letter vs. spirit of law deals.

RF

D. Lloyd
01-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Hey Lloyd,
Think about it from the rangers' point of view. The guy hit it with his car. He then drives all the way to a DFG office (with todays gas prices) and tells the ranger (honestly) that he hit it with his car. He PAYS for a tag and has it validated. Then he drives back home. The officer just collected the price of the tag (a boon to our dry state coffers), was able to collect the survey info, and kept a rotting deer off the side of the road. IMHO this should be how these "road incidents" are handled. A lot easier for everyone invloved. The crucial thing that seperates poaching from hitting a deer in the road, is 1) its almost impossible to do it on purpose and 2) nobody wants to wreck their car by hitting a deer.

Never saw the reply, but I couldn't agree more. I would fill both tags with awesome bucks no prob. Living in Foresthill I see some awesome deer fresh and go to waste. It's a shame that's not our state.

buzzardsluck
03-16-2013, 08:30 PM
What caliber is your jeep? Just turn the radio and lights off cause you can't use electronics to take game in california.

buzzard