PDA

View Full Version : Fort Bragg Perch'n

BASNFAN
09-07-2006, 06:48 PM
:)I am heading up to Fort Bragg on Friday the 15th for a full week and staying at Pomo RV Park. I have never fished that area for Perch. In previous posts, I have heard that McKerricher (SP) has a fishable beach. Are there any other (or better) spots? I might even try and get out on a party boat once while there. Any suggestions for boats? I don't like them when they crowd you on so you are rubbing elbows and tangling lines all the time. >:(
BASNFAN

Redwine
09-07-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Basnfan,

If you take Hwy 1 north from Fort Bragg, about 7-8 miles, the hwy will drop down to a small sandy beach with a hugh rock in the middle of the beach at the surfline.
I have had great success there fishing for stripped perch in between the first and second waves that are closest to the beach.
Small rootbeer grubs drives them wild!!!

Good luck!!

Redwine
09-07-2006, 10:10 PM
P.S. Captn Randy on the Telestar, out of Noyo Harbor puts you on the fish! To avoid the party boat crowds try going out on the Telestar mid-week!

Redwine~

BASNFAN
09-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Hi Redwine, Thanks for the info. The last two years I have been using the grubs but then I got some Berkelys Gulp Sandworms and used pieces of them. They out-produced the grubs for me bigtime. I will try both up at Bragg and see how it goes there.
Thanks Again, BASNFAN

westcoastdave
09-10-2006, 06:56 PM
:) I have done very good on Barred Surf Perch both here and in So. Cal using the Gulp Sandworms. The camo color seems to work the best. Use 2" lengths and thread them on the hook.

BASNFAN
09-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Yeah Dave, that is pretty much what I did when I was up at Crescent City in July. When the bite was going pretty good, I started using grubs and the bite dropped off noticibly. I went back to the Sandworms and started catching again.
BASNFAN