PDA

View Full Version : advice on undersized trout

Slikboat
10-22-2012, 12:17 PM
went last weekend to a spot, i had came across a problem ive never had before. what are you supposed to do when you catch a undersized fish, 10 inch rainbow that swallows a hook, i was able to get the hook out and everytime i tried to release him he would just go belly up, he was still kicking and he was still breathing, he would have little bolts of energy, i held him in the water for a couple mins trying to get him to go on his own, obviously i wasnt going to keep him so i ended up just letting him go in the current, he went down and i didnt see him pop back up, whats your advice on what to do?

RideNfish
10-22-2012, 01:40 PM
It happens but as long as you take measures to ensure a safe release that shows you care. Just posting this is great....

If you are bait fishing you will have a higher rate of mortality than artificial lures, flies, jigs, etc.

Pinching the barbs down on your gear really helps too. What will surprise you is you hook up ratio stays about the same unless you give the fish slack line.

If the hook is to deep, then cut the line just inside or at the edge of his mouth and let them go.

Keep the fish in water as much as possible. Trout are very delicate and can't survive like a bass can.

Also, sometimes they will play dead and swim off in a bit but usually belly up is a bad sign.

Also the thread at the top of the Trout section will teach you as well.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/trout-board/84872-proper-way-c-r-trout.html

You will get some other great advice and THANKS for asking the question.

Cheers,

Owlman2
10-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Trout are unbelievably fragile. I very frequently have them go belly up even when lip hooked. I have one of those lower jaw grabber things...I don't pick the fish up with this device but just leave it in the water to remove the hook..so I don't net or even touch the fish other than the lower jaw....have the head out of the water for maybe 30 seconds to unhook them....and I still have a lot of fish die.

What really frustrates me is when I try to do the right thing and release the fish, even though I would prefer to eat them, then they float downstream or sink to the bottom upside down in "obviously not going to make it" mode. So I don't have the fish and it dies anyway...wasted.

It is just part of trout fishing I'm afraid. I think it is primarily exhaustion from the fight that kills them. It kind of annoys me when the fanatic C&R contingent gets arrogant or gets on their high horse about "fish killers" who take fish to consume. The simple fact is....if you are catching trout a certain percentage are going to die even if you go with barbless lures. The only way to completely protect them is to not fish for them.

Slikboat
10-22-2012, 02:00 PM
i was catch 22 because the hook wasnt too deep but he got it stuck in the throat and i was barbless, im a feel bad person lol i didnt want to just let him go floating but i was glad to see him not surfice when i let him go in the riffles and i just told myself that if he did not make it then he would be food for another species, thanks guys

Line Stretcher
10-22-2012, 02:28 PM
When ever I fish waters where I'm likely to catch small trout I buy cheap hooks and just sharpen them a lot. The cheap hooks will rust out quickly so when you hook one deep you just cut the line off as close as you can and then release the fish. 9 times out of 10 the fish will be just fine. If you read DFG catch and release recommended methods you'll find this as a best practice.

I've caught healthy fish and found hooks that weren't mine in them so I know the method works.

RideNfish
10-22-2012, 02:40 PM
When ever I fish waters where I'm likely to catch small trout I buy cheap hooks and just sharpen them a lot. The cheap hooks will rust out quickly so when you hook one deep you just cut the line off as close as you can and then release the fish. 9 times out of 10 the fish will be just fine. If you read DFG catch and release recommended methods you'll find this as a best practice.

I've caught healthy fish and found hooks that weren't mine in them so I know the method works.

I have caught tons of fish with hooks in them. Even hooks hanging out of their butt ready to pass except for the line. I guess the fish could get a big surprise on that "sprint" up steam if that hook caught something. OUCH!! LOL

Oh and the cheap hooks you mention so they rust out, do you have a tetanus shot kit for them too? j/k haha

panther
10-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Marv gave very good advice. I'll offer a few additional comments:
1. Shelton self-releasing hooks...fish swallow bait and you can still release them unharmed.
2. Cutting the hook is a good idea. Cut as close to the hook as possible.
3. When holding a fish under water, gently move the fish back and forth. This helps to get water flowing through its gills.

If these steps fail, and they sometimes do,...you've done the best you can. Don't worry about it. There is nothing else you could have done.

Panther

BradL
10-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Whats up Rob! I think the little guy made it for what its worth, we did everything we could.

Marv
10-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Marv gave very good advice. I'll offer a few additional comments:
1. Shelton self-releasing hooks...fish swallow bait and you can still release them unharmed.
2. Cutting the hook is a good idea. Cut as close to the hook as possible.
3. When holding a fish under water, gently move the fish back and forth. This helps to get water flowing through its gills.

If these steps fail, and they sometimes do,...you've done the best you can. Don't worry about it. There is nothing else you could have done.

Panther

Thanks, I didn't even give advice. But knowing myself very well, I'm almost positive it would have been very good. HEHEHE

TroutGhost
10-22-2012, 10:33 PM
>>>When holding a fish under water, gently move the fish back and forth. This helps to get water flowing through its gills.

That's good advice. I've had trout go belly up on me but revive after doing the gentle back and forth thing. It's like CPR, instead of getting air into the lungs you're getting into their gills. After a brief while of the back and forth they sometimes snap out of it and dart away.

dirty530
10-23-2012, 08:43 AM
If it bleeds or floats, keep it. No sense in trying to C & R something when it's going to die, unless you hate the taste of trout - in that case, you should give it to a friend or coworker.

It happens to the best of us.

TroutGhost
10-23-2012, 03:21 PM
I caught a wild (holdover) rainbow trout four hours ago (in the Swift River here in MA). Was hooked in the mouth with a light wire dry fly hook. Kept it out of the water long enough to pull out hook, snap photo, then gently lowered to the water and released. It floated upside down, surprisingly. So I grabbed it, flipped it over, did the gentle back and forth thing, getting water into it's gills, and very soon it revived and darted away, good as new.

Line Stretcher
10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
I caught a wild (holdover) rainbow trout four hours ago (in the Swift River here in MA). Was hooked in the mouth with a light wire dry fly hook. Kept it out of the water long enough to pull out hook, snap photo, then gently lowered to the water and released. It floated upside down, surprisingly. So I grabbed it, flipped it over, did the gentle back and forth thing, getting water into it's gills, and very soon it revived and darted away, good as new.

These little guy's fill their bladders when they're fighting. Give them a little belly squeeze and they'll usually burp. That'll usually keep them from going belly up on you. Don't handle them any more than absolutely necessary. In fact, if you can just snip the line and let them go their odds of survival are better. C&R is often wishfull thinking but I'm in the club that thinks its a good idea to at least try.

mtn. man
10-23-2012, 07:29 PM
went last weekend to a spot, i had came across a problem ive never had before. what are you supposed to do when you catch a undersized fish, 10 inch rainbow that swallows a hook, i was able to get the hook out and everytime i tried to release him he would just go belly up, he was still kicking and he was still breathing, he would have little bolts of energy, i held him in the water for a couple mins trying to get him to go on his own, obviously i wasnt going to keep him so i ended up just letting him go in the current, he went down and i didnt see him pop back up, whats your advice on what to do?

Why would you consider a 10" trout undersized? Those pan sized trout are by far the best eating. The bigger the fish, the more fat they have, that's were that fishy taste comes from.

isdaann
10-24-2012, 10:50 AM
because trout are so fragile, i like to see the rules change, you keep the first 5 then you must go home, C&R no not count. I see tooo many dead little ones laying in a newly planted stream and too many yo-yo's casting over each other in a newly planted stream

hybrid90
10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I usually keep it after giving it CPR and it still dies! :)