PDA

View Full Version : How many hooks are legel on a sabiki rig?

ric1ric
09-07-2006, 08:05 AM
How many hooks are legel on a sabiki rig?

kromebrite
09-07-2006, 08:23 AM
I think it is 3, but my first thought is the two hook max for rock cod. I read inthe regs no more than three for the bay.

keciga1
09-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Krome is right. If you are in the bay, it's 3 hooks max, in the ocean I'm not sure but I think it's 2.

Chief_Sniffer
09-07-2006, 09:24 AM
According to the regulations:
Except as provided in this article, fin fish may be taken only on hook and line or by hand. Any number of hooks and lines may be used in all ocean waters and bays except:
(a) San Francisco and San Pablo bays between the Golden Gate Bridge and the west Carquinez Bridge, where only one line with not more than three hooks may be used.
(b) On public piers, no person shall use more than two rods and lines, two hand lines, or two nets, traps or other appliances used to take crabs.
(c) When rockfish (genus Sebastes) or lingcod (Ophiodon elongatus) are aboard or in possession, where only one line with not more than two hooks may be used pursuant to Sections 28.55 or 28.27, respectively.

So, if you don't have any rockfish on board, you can have as many as they come with. Catch your bait first?

keciga1
09-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Good info. It's good to know.

isaaco77
09-07-2006, 07:22 PM
A 5 hook Sabiki rig is great for catching baitfish for lincod. Sanddabs, smelt, mackeral etc. Live mackeral hooked between the eyes on a jig head is like crack to the lings.

FishingTone
09-07-2006, 10:26 PM
To what I understand and know is you can use up to 3 hook with baits on the hooks when fishing for baitfish in the bay or ocean, but as long as you don't have bait on the hook you can use 5 hook for baitfish. 2 hook is limit for any game fishes. I ran into a lot of FGD in santa scuz when using 5 hook sabiki rig for baitfish and they never say anything about it.

ric1ric
09-08-2006, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys

Rusty_Hooks
09-08-2006, 05:50 AM
A 5 hook Sabiki rig is great for catching baitfish for lincod. Sanddabs, smelt, mackeral etc. Live mackeral hooked between the eyes on a jig head is like crack to the lings.

try filleting the mackrel, then split the fillets in half down the lateral line....four times the bait...complete with a flutter

And you are right about the crackhead lings too!! (it's the oil)

donzitroller
09-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Last time out of Tomales, DFG boarded us and asked us to reel up our rigs so they could take a look.. I had a sabiki rod in a rod holder and they looked at it but didn't say anything.

Also, if you're catching bait, namely jacksmelt, hook em live using a hali rig and drop it down and hold on! Tried it last time and had some left over after halibut fishing and if I'm targeting lings, that's the way I'm going! It will keep your smaller rockfish away.. slower fishing, yes, but lings are worth it!

mike22ca
09-08-2006, 12:26 PM
U can use up to 12 hooks for sanddabs and baitfish.

fish_4_alivin
09-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Hook two sabikis together for the sand dabs first or you can use as many rods as you want for the bait ,once a salmon or rockfish is aboard its two hooks and only one pole

65whaler
09-09-2006, 06:31 PM
ummm, i'm just goiing to continufe to allow my son to use his six hook sabiki rig to gatyher our morning's liavewell i will sick the dfg on him if he is in the wrong. i well tell hin tht it will take years fro hi to work it off. so sad. sosad.