PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium boats on saltwater???

Long trail
09-03-2006, 04:31 PM
I am looking at a Klamath boat (19 feet center console).
Would you take that boat on the ocean? *I live in San Jose California.
How far would you go? *Anyone has done it? *any stories? *good and bad.
Aluminium? and salt?

I could buy bigger boats,but I am limited with the weight I can tow.
That Klamath boat is not very heavy.

Thank you much

Jm

Rusty_Hooks
09-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Check the salmon forum...there are alot of sniffers with aluminum out in the ocean and out quite a ways.

It'll do fine out there...just get a good compass and two batteries.

Check out the Boat thread as well, great information on the high end Aluminum boats. ;)

Long trail
09-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks a lot
Appreciate

Jm

fish_junky
09-03-2006, 08:57 PM
I have a 17 ft Harbercraft and use it out there often. The only thing I can recomend is watch the buoy reports and have a enuff power on your boat. I have a 60 hp and wish I had more power out there when loaded with Ice and fuel. Also take it easy.

Good Luck

ot
09-03-2006, 09:38 PM
where can I find the "bouy reports"

Thanks

CORN
09-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Pick your days and a 19 footer will be fine out there. I've seen 12 foot aluminum boats and rubber rafts out there on good days too. I have a 14'7" fiberglass boat and I'm out there several times a year. I launch out of HMB or Bodega and rarely go out the gate. Here are some of the links:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KMTR.html

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46012

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=46013

CORN
09-04-2006, 06:57 AM
Here's an aluminum boat that fished next to us last weekend. *Sorry the image isn't clear. *The boat was in the background and I had to blow it up quite a bit:

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/7775/aluminumrt0.jpg

Rusty_Hooks
09-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Looks like a 17 or 18 Valco Bayrunner or a Gregor....lots of them out there....in the fog ;)

Nice picture Corn.....What LAKE did you say that was!! ;D ;D

put_em_back
09-04-2006, 07:17 PM
My dad and I ran a 18ft Bayrunner Open D for about 15. We fished a lot out of Monterey up to Half Moon Bay. On nice days the boat is great, but on those sloppy days the bow would dig into the water and throw out a nice spray that would drift back over the boat wetting us down.

The biggest thing about the aluminum boat is the weight which makes it easy to tow, but the low weight makes it a tough ride on rough days - the bow liked to slap and spray.

The farthest out we went was probably about 15 miles and as others are telling you, watch and pick your days. It was a great delta and SF bay boat.

The boat was great. Maintenance is easy as running the motor to wash out all the salt water and washing the inside and outside of the boat out. Wash with straight water and scrub down with a push broom...very nice.

If you are getting a 4 stroke motor with that boat, you'll find it a fairly fuel efficient.

PM me if you have any questiongs.

CPTN_JACK
09-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Alum,wood,glass....... big,small,, its all relitive out on the big blue!! Its a WX thing!! Even in the delta and bay you can find your self over your head in a 19ft skiff!! Start off easy pick the best days and run with a buddy boat!! Safe boating classes are worth the time!! yes ive seen 14 fters out 20 miles but dont advise it!! no your limitations not by boat size but sea time!! best of luck to ya!! See ya out there!! CJ ps... that pic looked like 19 western to me!! [smiley=captjack.gif]

Walt_Vee
09-06-2006, 08:43 PM
i have run my 18' NR close to 30 miles west offshore from HMB and bodega... you basically need to pick your days and be confident in your boat... having a A-Team crew helps also.

ocean_314
09-06-2006, 09:00 PM
When i was 15 i bought a 12' valco car topper. i would launch that boat off Santa Cruz pier all the time. I now live in ukiah and on calm day i go out of Noyo Harbour at Ft Bragg with it. on rougher day i use a 21'.

Here is a great story about a small boat on a big ocean. I had a whale come out of the fog one day out of Santa Cruz it rolled and went down about 50 yards from us. It was heading straight for us as it rolled and rolled and rolled and rolled then went down. After we recovered from the shock of seeing such a big animal so close the absoulte terror kicked in. We where picking up the anchor starting the motor and screaming that the whale is going to capisze us. We never moved so fast getting out of there.

pinfish
09-06-2006, 09:47 PM
off san diego (where it was a lot calmer) on a party boat, I saw a guy on a jet ski fishing, a guy on a canoe, kayak, inflatable raft, and a guy on a rowboat.

dandeuce
09-07-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a 16" modified V jon boat with a 25hp Yamaha , use it all the time in Tamales Bay and no problem taking it out into the ocean on nicer days . It all boils down to picking your days ! A secondary motor is a plus , I don't have one and had to be towed in once ( CDI failed ) ! The idea of a buddy boat is good ! Since I got stranded I purchased a marine radio , peace of mind if your somewhat alone , updated weather reports , plus you can listen/talk to other fishermen as to where the fish are biting .

Good Luck , Dan