PDA

View Full Version : Princeton jetty HMB

polybass
09-04-2006, 05:05 PM
while back i was coming in from a fishing trip aboard the queen of hearts, I noticed an angler on float tube, on the other side of the rock pillings( not the wavy part), n i was just wondering does anybody knoe wat kind of fish exist in there cuz i am really tempted to bring my float tube out there n give it a shot

put_em_back
09-04-2006, 07:20 PM
You can catch anchovies inside the breakwater and use them for halibut, kingfish, and if you are lucky, striped bass. There has to be some small rockfish in the rocks the jetty is made of.

Don't get too close to the entrance if you are thinking about float tubing and watch out for Jaws :).

polybass
09-05-2006, 02:18 PM
so there are only anchovies or are there other trophy fish

FISHSTALKER
09-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Watch the birds! If you see Pelicans and Gulls diving, then the anchovies are in. If the Anchovies are there, then there are game fish there. I used to fish from the HMB breakwater 20 -30 years ago. I tossed out a mooching rig with baited anchovy. I caught some very nice Salmon off of there.
Back then a ham radio was the necessity. The guys would be spread from up around Pacifica all the way down to San Gregorio. Everyone had their Binoculars and was watching for signs. Meaning bait balls and birds. Once the bait was spotted the radio would light up. Spent many a day on what seemed to be a packed beach with guys pulling in Stripers all around me. There was a lot of help and comradery back then.
I had to pack a couple of different rods and a selection of lures as well as bait. It depended what type of fishing I would end up doing ( Surf fishing, rock fishing or going off the jetty. )
I was in my forties back then and there is no way today that I could jump the rocks or climb the cliffs or even race across the sandy beach

polybass
09-05-2006, 09:21 PM
HAha thnx for the help, but are u talking about inside the breakwater or outside

Master_Caster
09-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Hey Polybass. I've been looking for a place to tube in the salt as well. Last year I tried to put in in Santa Cruz with near disastrous results. Be careful and make sure you have a flotation device. If HMB works out I just may join you. :)

polybass
09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
yeah i really wanana go float tubin in salt water but iono knoe wer, iknoe that in socal like long beach n stuff have lots of floatubing places

kstone44
09-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Here is some info on saltwater tubing,. been contemplating it myself

http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/inshore-halibut-swimbait-fishing/

sokoo
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
There are all kinds of trophy fish near the rock jetty. Nice rockcods, big lingcod, cabezon, halibut, and even salmon (I saw only once) can be caught, and you don't have to have live bait. In fact I prefer artificials because the anchovies got stolen too fast. But most fish are near the jaws. I don't know if it's a good idea to float tube near the jaws, but I used to go there in a small boat with electric motor, and as long as you stay close to the rocks you are OK from the traffic. Most fish you catch there are rockcod and lings, they stay in the rocks anyway.