PDA

View Full Version : there's a sea lion living in benicia!

LONO100
11-02-2012, 07:37 PM
hi all, ever since ive been taking the amtrak to work, i pass by the benicia/martinez bridge every morning. for the last week or so like clock work when i cross the water from benicia to martinez, right by the third pillar from the north side of the older benicia bridge, i see this same lone sea lion hanging out and swimming around, right there next to the pillar. at first i thought i was just seeing things the first time i saw him, but the very next day there he was just hanging out.

i never knew that sea lions went that far up the bay, is that normal or is that just really out of the ordinary? ive lived in the bay area and have crossed all the bridges out here millions of times it seems like, and ive never seen a sea lion that far up the bay.

redneckpunk
11-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Thats not far at all LONO. They come all the way up the SJ to stockton and there is currently one in old Sac on the boat docks.

~RNP

Bainter1212
11-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Yup. Up here in sacramento it is a no-no to put your fish on a stringer. They will come right up and take it. They have been known to take a fish off your hook while you are reeling it in! In my book it is a fair competition, if you lose your fish to them oh well, they are a better fisherman than you are lol. They are an extremely resilient and adaptable mammal, they do what they gotta do to get by.

LONO100
11-03-2012, 10:15 AM
wow, you learn something everyday! ive been fishing northern ca piers and the sloughs and deltas since i was a little boy, and never knew they came up that far. well, i guess if a whale can make it up to sacramento, a seal lion could!

ngt
11-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I saw one swim up to the Sea Ranch up the Napa river once. That's pretty damn far.

FishnBeer
11-05-2012, 05:56 PM
ive seen them in tracy and all the way up near courtland, past isleton