PDA

View Full Version : Caples and Silver Lake report

Drinks like a fish
11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
I decided to take a trip to do a little trout fishing before the snow and ice set in at Caples. We got up there early and had three fish in the first 5 minutes off the shore on the east end. There is a lot of snow on the ground and it was pretty cold at 8 am still but the fish were biting. As the sun came up it warmed up fast and after the first three fish we had nothing else for the next hour plus. We packed up and decided to fish near the spillway where we proceeded to slay them. We put out three poles and the one with orange Powerbait was the bait of choice. We caught so many I actually netted two fish at one time as each of my kids pulled one in at once. After catching fish after fish we headed down the hill to Silver Lake to see how low the lake is which it turned out to be very low.
I was hoping the magic orange power bait would keep the fish coming but as it turned out Silver Lake was hotter than Caples and it didn't matter what you used. Maybe they just planted or they liked the movement of the water out of the damn but trout were everywhere. We threw Castmasters and caught a fish or had a hit nearly every cast. The nice thing was we lipped them every time that way and were able to put them all back with no trouble or damage to the fish.
I have to say that was the most fish I ever caught in one day in my life besides the good old days catching bluegils at Clear Lake. Not sure how long it will last but the fishing up there is on fire right now...I took home a good amount for dinner but I left plenty for everyone else. Needless to say my daughters had a great time "catching" instead of just fishing.

Bainter1212
11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Awesome fishing! I have trolled Caples and Silver for hours and hours earlier this summer and was really disappointed, as was a lot of others. I have known Caples in the past to yield some trophies, but not so much this year. So glad someone got up there and we finally get to see a stellar report.

Drinks like a fish
11-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Well the last time I was at Silver Lake this summer it was a skunk fest so catching some fish this time was a nice change of pace. It's a long ride home when don't catch anything.

CAL.NDN
11-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Pricless......

RideNfish
11-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Good job DLF. Marv and I were there Fri for less than an hour and caught a dozen between us. We were just stopping by on the way back from the Carson. We just were throwing spoons and spinners just to check it out. I don't know if you saw our report but here it is. http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/trout-board/100828-plan-b-carson-%5Bpics-course%5D.html

Thanks for sharing your success.
Cheers

Captain Compassion
11-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Was up at Caples Tuesday morning and there was too much snow to get down to the spillway.

CC

Drinks like a fish
11-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Good job DLF. Marv and I were there Fri for less than an hour and caught a dozen between us. We were just stopping by on the way back from the Carson. We just were throwing spoons and spinners just to check it out. I don't know if you saw our report but here it is. http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/trout-board/100828-plan-b-carson-%5Bpics-course%5D.html

Thanks for sharing your success.
Cheers

No, I did not see that report but I saw a few others. It would have just reinforced my plans though as I had thought about going to Lake Alpine before seeing that Caples was doing well from others.
The pics on the river are great. Those were some nice fish you guys were pulling out of there.