PDA

View Full Version : Lingcod behavior

ocean_314
09-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Just passing on something that i have been observing over the last couples of years spearfishing.

I have a spot around the FT Bragg area where i spearfish which is loaded with blues and i see at least one lingcod a day. The lingcod come in to eat a few of the blues that come off my spear and are crippled.

I used to think that lings stayed on the bottom waiting for food to pass by, but much to my surpise they are a highly aggressive very moblie predator. Thye seem to swim several feet off the bottom to the midwater level. They are very fast aggressive swimmers that come in and attack, they dont wait around for food they go get it!

For you divers out there dont shoot big lings in the top of the head with a pole spear the barbs wont pentrate far enough, shoot them through the gills. A few weeks i shot a 25 to 30lb ling from about 6 inches right on top of the head. It was like a bucking bronco on the end on my spear for a few seconds until it came off.

FishingTone
09-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Last year when I was fishing @ capitola for rock fish and a lingcod follow up all the way to the boat to attack the blue that I was hooking up. I was only fished 15 feet of water. I thought that was one crazy lingcod.

nelson9
09-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the underwater insight. I would really like to see some underwater videos of rockfish or lingcod feeding or taking lures. Your right abot lings going after their prey. I've seen lings follow a hooked rockfish all the way to the surface from 100ft. of water. I'm not sure why they wait so long before attacking the rockfish.

basil
09-02-2006, 04:01 PM
When I've been fishing with line and pole, it feels to me like Lings will often grab your bait and get in a crack. So at first you feel a fish then you think your are hung up on the bottom. I give them slack and try to circle and get them out, but they win pretty often.

Another thing I try is to set a tight drag and right at the bite I try to get some turns on the fish to keep them from going into their hidey hole.

ocean_314
09-02-2006, 08:36 PM
The behavior of both rockfish (blues) and lingcod when i shoot them and just nick them is they go straight down to the bottom and look for a hole to hide in. Although sometimes the lingcod just take off. It doesnt matter how far the bottom is although i rarely am over a bottom that is deeper then 40'.
Some rockfish like the black and yellow never come off the bottom.

ocean_314
09-03-2006, 07:36 PM
tried something new today when i was diving. I took my ab iron and pounded on the rocks at 20'. Man the fish that came in. 1 lingcod several big rockish and 2 greeling.
I already had my limit of rockfish and i missed the ling, it caught me by surpirse never thought that this would work.

nelson9
09-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Must be like ringing the dinner bell. Being able to detect sound is probably just another way for them to find food. I'm going rock cod fishing Tues. Maybe I'll try bouncing the sinker on the bottom more instead of fishing two or three feet off the bottom.

fish_4_alivin
09-04-2006, 09:26 PM
that is why hex bars work so good.

Fish_R_Us
09-05-2006, 09:44 AM
We use to use the ab iron to smash a sea urchin or two. The crunching sound gets them interested and the smell gets them circling around looking for the food.