PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Bay report from 8/31

jake74
09-03-2006, 10:48 AM
I went out on my second ocean fishing trip last Thursday. *My friend has an 18 ft boat and was nice enough to take me out. *We left Santa Cruz harbor about 6:00 a.m. *We threw in our lines up around 4-mile beach in about 60 ft of water. *I was hoping for halibut as I wanted to see one of these weird looking fish up close. *I pulled in a couple of sand dabs (<1 lb.) so I at least got to see a smaller version. *I wasn't impressed with the small fish I was getting on anchovies, so I rigged up a whole squid. *Within a couple of minutes I had a bite unlike any other I've ever felt. *I reeled, it pulled off line, I reeled some more. *I was hooting and hollering like a little kid. *I ended up pulling in an 8 lb, 25" ling. *

It was so much fun. *We caught a ton of rock cod including a bunch of blues that were about 20 ft off the bottom in 40 ft of water. *My buddy caught two more lings near the 1 mi bouey around noon. *One of them was a keeper. *Here's a poor photo of our 2 lings.
http://www.skylovers.org/fishy/lings.jpg

Jake

SLOfisher
09-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Better be careful Jake. Take it from someone who know, once you get salt in your blood, you will be hooked. :) Glad you had a good trip, and managed some nice fish.

keciga1
09-03-2006, 12:19 PM
That's a good way to pop your cherry. Nice fish and thatnks for the report.

fish_4_alivin
09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
nice lings fish some more there are way bigger ones ready to wrassle.