PDA

View Full Version : Bodaga Bay crab'n

brokea--boater
11-08-2012, 10:02 AM
My buddy James and I both retired this summer, so we decieded that there was no good reason to join the zoo at Bodega over the weekend for the opener of crab season. So we made the plan to go durning the weekday and miss the choas. We hauled his 13' BW up to westside with 5 pots. Splashed at 8:00am with no one in line or trying to hurry up to get out. Soaked the pots for 3 hours while we did some rock fishing. The fishing was dead..dead. Pulled the pots for 25 crabs, kept 20 commercial grade and headed home before the commute traffic started [IMG]http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh550/brokeassboater/2012crab_zps6ac890d8.jpg

SF21
11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
nice catch,looks like a beautiful day.

nayr
11-08-2012, 02:41 PM
very nice, and all the more fulfilling out of a smallcraft . Thanks for the report

brokea--boater
11-08-2012, 04:51 PM
very nice, and all the more fulfilling out of a smallcraft . Thanks for the report

I agree, its pretty easy on the wallet for just a couple of guys going for some crab. Brentwood to Bodega and back dragg'n a skiff with a half ton pick-up was sure nice paying my share compared to what I had shell out tuna fishing. The crabs are always in close durning the begaing of the season anyways.

macrosshn
11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
congrats on the easy crab limits. i agree, fishing the weekdays is the only way to go. it was a mess at the launch on opening weekend.

i'm curious where you are dropping these pots and fishing at. i hope you weren't taking the 13' boat past seal island / bodega head. it gets pretty hairy as you're aware.

brokea--boater
11-13-2012, 09:19 PM
congrats on the easy crab limits. i agree, fishing the weekdays is the only way to go. it was a mess at the launch on opening weekend.

i'm curious where you are dropping these pots and fishing at. i hope you weren't taking the 13' boat past seal island / bodega head. it gets pretty hairy as you're aware.
Yes, we did run past the head. I have ran uphill past Salmon Creek a few times in a small skiff. Its all about checking conditions and picking the days. I just got home from a two day trip there and the weather/conditions where awesome. Monday, 47 miles out tuna fishing (not in the skiff). The ocean was was flat and no wind. Today the same except more swell and small wind at bodega but greasy flat at Fort Ross.

untalan1
11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Glad to hear you got your crabs, heard that the bite picked up at the gumdrop.How did you do on the tuna trip .Efren

brokea--boater
11-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Glad to hear you got your crabs, heard that the bite picked up at the gumdrop.How did you do on the tuna trip .Efren
I posted the trip on a new thread