PDA

View Full Version : D3-5 local buck

D. Lloyd
11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Shot this 3x3 3 days into rifle season up here in placer county. A lot of summer scouting and a little time paid off for me this year. I had hunted this particular area about two years ago, but after returning from school in Colorado this June i soon found out it had gained popularity. I drive by the actual location daily and throughout the season I counted over 20 different vehicles at this specific turnout alone. I was disappointed, but soon realized this is what public land is all about!

I hunted all bow season but never had a shot on 2 bucks that came through. I got ready on rifle opener and showed up 2 hrs before sunrise and still someone beat me lol. After having the same thing happen that evening and the next morning I decided to give up until Monday. I came back Monday And after spotting a doe about 20 min into shooting light I worked my way to about 150 yards and sat down to glass. Right away I saw this buck about 30 yards back bedded down....already at 7am. Ranged him @138yrds, set myself up and after a loud whistle he stood up quartering towards me. Made my shot and saw him jump about 5'. i thought he then ran down the backside of the hill but after waiting and walking to the site I found him layin no more than 2 yards away.

Over 30 scouting trips and many hrs in bow season seemed to pay off and this was my first ca buck!

BIG_ONE
11-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Very beautiful! I would take something like that down as well...

Bainter1212
11-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Ooh nice buck. Great report on your experience too. Felt like I was there lol.

49erbassman
11-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Big boy there. Nice job

Sent from my iPhone

D. Lloyd
11-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Check out the rack on this one. Points were touching, never seen such a unique rack. Unfortunately he was hit early am but somehow magically disappeared by 8am........someone has a cool rack now!!

outdoordude
11-10-2012, 06:21 AM
nice buck. yea the public land hunting is frustrating sometimes thats why I opt for weekdays off.

hooks
11-10-2012, 09:23 AM
Great job on taking that buck. Your scouting paid off. Hunting the D3-5 zone is great because you get to hunt both the archery season and the rifle season with the same tag. That's about 2 months of hunting. Congrats!!

ILuvFishing
11-14-2012, 01:06 PM
this year has been one of the best for our group in d3-5. got two opening weekend and one more a few days after. then two in beginning of october and the biggest and weirdest one on the last day. the big one was a non typical 7x3 if i measure it right since its the first one like that i seen. it had drop tine and at the bottom of the horn it looks like a medieval spike mace. phone died so didnt get any picture when ever i get the chance to take a picture i will post it up.

D. Lloyd
11-15-2012, 12:40 PM
this year has been one of the best for our group in d3-5. got two opening weekend and one more a few days after. then two in beginning of october and the biggest and weirdest one on the last day. the big one was a non typical 7x3 if i measure it right since its the first one like that i seen. it had drop tine and at the bottom of the horn it looks like a medieval spike mace. phone died so didnt get any picture when ever i get the chance to take a picture i will post it up.

Real question is....was it public land? There are plenty of big mature deer in this area, but my goal this year was strictly public land in D3-D5 which can be limited and crowded. Regardless, I can't wait to see pics of the 7x3!