Redwine
08-31-2006, 07:27 AM
I can't find my regs book to see when crab season opens again around
Tomales Bay.
Can someone help me?

Redwine~

vito
08-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Rocks and Reds are open all year. Dungees open in December and close in June.

donzitroller
08-31-2006, 09:39 AM
Dungies open up again November 11th according to the DFG website.. :)

vito
08-31-2006, 09:47 AM
Good news. Earlier season this year. Thanks.

donzitroller
08-31-2006, 09:58 AM
I can't wait! Last year Aintscared and I got into em pretty good, this year we hope for it to be even better! Fresh dungies boiled over the campfire.. all you can eat.. yum yum!

The_Hardwayz
08-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Do you guys hand pull your pots or have a winch for the dungies. I want to do a lil crabbing this coming fall. I just want some professional tips on the tools needed.

Thanks in advance

vito
08-31-2006, 11:55 AM
I've only crabed in shallow water - 40 feet or so, so I just pull my nets/pots by hand. If you are going in deep water - I would recommend a winch.

Tight_Lines
08-31-2006, 03:36 PM
boiled crabs? I don't know why people on the west boil thier crabs. Steam em, way, way better!

I will be giving it a shot outside the gate this year. I have never done it before but am going to try and learn.

donzitroller
08-31-2006, 03:52 PM
Vito, same with us last year.. this year I've got a new Ace Brutus puller that I'm dying to try out!

Tight Lines, just seemed the way to do it.. now that you mention it though, I'll give steaming a try and let you know how it goes!

Tight_Lines
08-31-2006, 05:52 PM
oh it will go well! cake them up with old bay, rock salt and steam baby! Give it a shot, once you do it you wont ruin your crabs by boiling them!

Does anyone crab outside the goldengate? Im guess just head up the coast and drop pots. What should you look for to set the pots? How many pots would you guys recommend(26'boat). Anyone know where to get them at?

Thanks

triggerfish
08-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Look for sandy bottom,I started last year. First try I had 70 crabs in 3 square traps.They were in 70-90 ft. it was wide open until the commercial guys mopped them up. Hopefully the commercial season will be delayed again this year. Throw back the females. There is no need to soak them for a long time.3-4 hours was enough time.Hopefully the rockfish season will stay open . It sucks not being able to fish for anything while your pots are soaking.

triggerfish
08-31-2006, 08:22 PM
As for where to get them at fishermans wherehouse is where I got my Danelsons for @ $30 apice. or the real round gear is about $130 a pot. If you got someone younger on board you dont need a puller! ;D ;DBut if you are pulling in from 150' they sure are nice.Make sure EVERYONE Has a measuring device. ,And if you go to coastsides site they have a really good how to section on how to rig up.

vdub
09-01-2006, 01:31 AM
planning on going to golden gate tommorrow night, and i've never been there

what bait should i use? i hear squid, chicken, canned catfood?
is there a pier? or do i have to throw far?
what time of day is best for rocks and reds?
what kinda bait should i use for rockfish?

sethonious
09-01-2006, 07:22 AM
V-dub
Use something that the crabs are going to find in the ocean. All these folks with their chicken and dogfood have their ways but stick it to the squid. I use a mix of squid and herring or mackarel. Squid will keep them in the pot and the oily mackarel will bring them in. DON"T KEEP THE DUNGIES!!!

If you are fishing at night for rockfish look at the cycle of the moon. If they can't see they aren't going to be able to find anything to eat. Also SF is forcast to be foggy tonight, so even if the moon is big there won't be anything to see.

wmgraphics
09-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Cran newbee here. I am looking to do some crabbing this fall. I do some rock and ling fishing up near Fortbragg. I hope to soak the traps while I fish from my kayak.

Do you recommend a type of crab trap to buy, since I am in a kayak Ill most likely drag a small inflatable for the traps? Can I use milk crates as bouys?
Do I need to buy ALL new equipment?
What depth to start at?
How far apart should the traps be from each other?
Do you use any weights to keep them from moving around?
What kind of bait should I use?

Why...fresh steamed crabs on the beach... need I say anymore! THANKS.

Redwine
09-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks to all for the insight!

littledude
09-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Anyone here if dillon beach is doing any good for rock crab off the pier?? I'm going next weeked and was wondering if anyone is doing any good???

Littledude