PDA

View Full Version : Dungeness crabbing IN tomales bay?

dmede
11-13-2012, 06:42 AM
I'm planning a trip up to Tomales in a few weeks (actually a little weekend getaway to Point Reyes but will be bringing the boat, pole, couple hoop traps and a snare trap or two). My boat is a 14' flat bottom skiff so I'm restricted to inside Tomales Bay for fishing and will be launching from Nicks Cove.

I've fished the area a few times but never crabbed there. Any tips on where to target for Dungeness? What depths are good? I'll probably be sticking to the area to the west of Hog, between Pelican point and to just north of the white cliffs.

I was thinking the slope into white gulch would be a good spot. I'm assuming the crabs are more likely to be in the open, not in the eel grass?

Any info will be greatly appreciated. I've crabbed Netarts in OR before and the crabs where just about everywhere, I'm hoping it's the same at Tomales!

littledude
11-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I would try to stick near the channels and any beach areas. When I crabbed in tomales we fished 24-27' off the channel but this was further up where you come into the channel from dillon beach near the mouth. Stay away from the rocky areas unless you want rock crab. Also go to Lawsons Landing and click on fishing reports. It should take you to a blog that gives you updates on how the bay is doing and also whats going on in the area.

Good luck,
Littledude

dmede
11-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks Littledude, That's good info. I check the Lawson's Fish Report often but it seems like most posts are about the open water or top of the bay, not down near Hog. Because of the size and speed of my boat I'm restricted to that area around Hog unless I want to spend all my time motoring! Good tip to look for sand and not rocky bottoms. I'd be okay with some Rock crab but am really after the dungees. Hope I can find what I'm looking for.
I would try to stick near the channels and any beach areas. When I crabbed in tomales we fished 24-27' off the channel but this was further up where you come into the channel from dillon beach near the mouth. Stay away from the rocky areas unless you want rock crab. Also go to Lawsons Landing and click on fishing reports. It should take you to a blog that gives you updates on how the bay is doing and also whats going on in the area. Good luck, Littledude

dmede
12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Quick thread update. Just returned from a weekend trip to Tomales Bay. This was more of a family and friends getaway to Point Reyes Station but I brought the boat a snuck in a few hours on the water Saturday.

I used my ring trap and two snare rigs on poles (two of us fishing). We tried a few spots, near white cliffs and then more towards the channel S of Hog. Caught a few rock crab and maybe 10 or so dungeness. No keepers. One female over 5" and one male just under 5". Was using rock fish carcass in the ring and snare traps.

It was good proof of concept trip. I now know I need more traps and more time. The weather was amazing so nothing to complain about. Sorry no pics.