PDA

View Full Version : Salmon and mackerel

ric1ric
08-30-2006, 12:56 PM
This may sound like a dumb question, but there was a little talk about it on the boat and now I need to know. Do Salmon target the mackerel boils or even eat them??? Please someone who knows chime in and let me know. Some people have stated that Salmon don't eat Mackerel. Is that true? I would think they would gobble them up just like herring or anchovies.
How about it guys
Rick

Chief_Sniffer
08-30-2006, 02:00 PM
I'm sure a biologist can give a more definitive answer about this than me, but I would speculate that the salmon don't target mackeral musc due to the fact that mackeral tend to be in a little bit warmer water.

A few degrees warmer or colder and it's amazing how different the species are that inhabit an area.

drstressor
08-30-2006, 02:15 PM
Unless the mackerel are very small, I don't think that salmon would mess with them. They are very fast and maneuverable. In order for a predator to key on a prey species, it needs to have a high success rate for each attack. If a chase doesn't result in a meal, the predator rapidly looses the search image.

On the other hand, mackerel are major predators of salmon smolt during warm water years. In Barkley Sound BC, they contract with commercial fishermen to net the mackerel schools before they release smolt from Robertson Creek hatchery.

Jan_from_Humboldt
08-30-2006, 02:16 PM
Yes salmon eat macks, I've gutted a bunch of fish this year that had macks 10-12" long in them.

sunracer1957
08-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Jan

Thanks for the info we talked about this while out the other day,, I'm just wondering why nobody can seem to pick up any Salmon in the huge bait thats in Bodega and Dux.

Any idea why the bite has been off?? is it cause theres SO much bait or what?? anyone have any awnsers??

CORN
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Jan

Any idea why the bite has been off?? is it cause theres SO much bait or what?? anyone have any awnsers??

Yeah, this is one jacked up season. *And to think, I almost bought an extra freezer in preparation for another good year.

ric1ric
08-30-2006, 04:46 PM
So I have a few I saved for wrappers on my flat and kwik fish in the river. They should work right??

ric1ric
09-01-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the opinions guys I posted it on the salmon board and got a couple of opinions also worth looking at.