PDA

View Full Version : TUNA - NEED ADVICE

bigworm
08-22-2006, 10:45 PM
Hello fishers, I recenty purchased a boat and have been told it can do the tuna trips. Never gone but have been dying to go for SEVERAL years. Can anyone tell me what's used for bait? How do you spot them? How far out do you go and should you attempt to partner with boats to make it safer --- not sure of the range of my Raymarine with Shakespear antena. Any advice would be appreciated. Weather tips as well.

judyann
08-23-2006, 12:41 PM
check out coastside, there's a great 5 page tutorial called the Franko method. *If you live in sacramento I'd stop by IWE or Fisherman's wharehouse, they set you all up. *Have you run for any other species? *It's hard to get information in writing that will replace experience on the water. *Being 50-60 miles out is no joke with the weather. *21 foot is long enough, doesn't really matter the size because everything feels small when the water is kicking. *The Tuna dissapeared right now, so get everything ready for whent he next window opens.

The_Reel_Won
08-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Here's the link to all the tutorials. Keep in mind these are just the basics but enough to get you started. By the way its not abnormal to be out of range of your vhf from the coast to the Tuna grounds. Really depends on your set up. Listen for reports of when the Tuna are nearby, then go. Good luck!!

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/18

bigworm
09-01-2006, 12:31 AM
Hey guys thanks for the advice. And yes, 50 miles aint no joke. Don't think I want to swim it. Thanks again.