PDA

View Full Version : Best time to catch Rockfish

FatCat
08-30-2006, 06:49 PM
I have heard from numerous people that rockfishing is way better in the morning than the afternoon. Is this true? Also, do tides matter if you are out on a boat?

mike22ca
08-30-2006, 06:58 PM
From my experience, it makes no difference if its morning, evening, or afternoon. Tidal movement seems to matter. Just as long as its not slack tide and there is movement going on its usually pretty good.

blue_chrush
08-30-2006, 07:57 PM
dito......

there not picky.....
they will turn off during the slack sometimes....
but all in all, good all day....

FatCat
08-30-2006, 08:32 PM
That is pretty much what I thought about the time of day. I don't see why these people I have been talking to insist on getting up at the crack of dawn (actually two hours BEFORE the crack of dawn) if the fishing will be just as good in the afternoon. ::) Good to hear some confirmation, thanks guys! I didn't know about the slack tide thing, though. So thanks again!

GCinGV
08-30-2006, 08:44 PM
For the fishing it doesnít seem to much matter what time of the day but there is a good reason to fish as early as you can though and thatís the afternoon wind. The AM is usually much calmer.
GC

mike22ca
08-30-2006, 08:54 PM
WE just get there really early in the AM so we can make our run 45 mins - 1:15mins and have all day to fish

fbanaria
08-30-2006, 10:57 PM
Hi guys,

With the way rockfishing has been lately, it really does not matter when or where to fish because of the abundance of the species. *We owe this to the sportfishing industry that finally succeeded in reviving this rock fishery that almost got wiped out through gillnetting within California waters. *Thank God! *Nowadays this is about the only fishing we Northern Californians seem to cherish. *

Now that this fishery has been revived, the next step will be to sustain this fishery (but not closed to the Federal MLPAs), revive the salmon and striped bass fishing.

For starters, how about turning off the water pumps and stopping the Delta water exportation down south. *So. CA can get water from sources other than the Delta. *But let us not turn off the water down to Central California. *After all, Central California is the leading bread basket of our beloved U.S.A.!

Just my 2 cents worth.

CORN
08-31-2006, 07:59 AM
I agree with the wind factor. I also wanted to mention the parking factor. If you get there too late in the morning, you may not have any good spots for parking your truck & trailer.

Fish_R_Us
08-31-2006, 11:30 AM
What I've noticed is that rockfish seem to be more active during high tide and seem to be sorta sluggish during low tides, especially during minus tides.

FatCat
08-31-2006, 04:01 PM
We are going out on a party boat so I won't have to worry about the parking. It will be low tide when we head out (at 3.1 ft) but that is right at the begining so maybe things will pick up as we are out there. This will be out of Fort Bragg on Sunday. Coming up quick! Woohoo! [smiley=fishing1.gif]