PDA

View Full Version : Laaast weekend

dirty530
11-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Well I went fishing with my dad last weekend (Sunday and Monday) and got into a few trout, nothing big. I wasn't going to post because our fish weren't anything post worthy, but I did have a great outing with my old man. We fished the middle fork next to the confluence from 9 - 2:30 for 8 or 9 trout (Sat). My dad cracks me up! Every time we go fishing, I'll tell him what to get for tackle but he always comes back with something wacky. This time his set up was 5lb white BRAIDED with a large hook for bass lol I don't bother correcting him anymore because I just want him to have fun.. and a funny thing.. we ran out of worms and my dad wanted to do one more cast in a nice pocket water hole. Having no worms, he decided to glob on 4-5 salmon eggs with a smear of procure. I was smirking at first, but then he cast out and in less than 15 sec it was nibble, nibble, fish on! He landed the feisty trout, and it was the first trout I've ever seen caught on salmon eggs!

The next day was slow.. We got into a few fish each but nothing big. My biggest was 14" and my dad's biggest was a little bigger but much more girthy! All in all, a great weekend to end an amazing season! I CANNOT WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON!!!!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz271/Aaron87schultz/Aaron_fish.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz271/Aaron87schultz/Dad_fish.jpg

redneckpunk
11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Nice report dirty. Dont let non "post worthy" reports keep you from post them anyway. Some of the greatest stories are "skunks" and some of my favorite fishing trips (ie level of fun or personal connection with someone) have come from slower days on the water.

~RNP

Bainter1212
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice report! I used to use salmon eggs exclusively when I was a kid......they do work just get overlooked sometimes.

Marv
11-15-2012, 11:00 AM
I see your dad doesn't have the same c&r policy as you, lol. sorry had to say it :)

Salmon eggs are like Hamburgers to trout. Some days they will out fish worm and flies. Hell salmon eggs work so well that fly fishers use egg imitations. I've caught at least 100 on eggs in the last 4 or 5 months. I don't see how you can't get them to work you. If your not ticking the bottom with an egg or a jig your missing out on a good chunk of fish.

CRABBY
11-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Cool post an pics Dirty,your Dad is smart,salmon eggs are the best,green label balls of fire,been using them since the mid 50's!!!!
Your a lucky young man to have the opportunity to still be able to fish with your Dad,an he's lucky to have a Son like you to fish with!!!
Post all your trips good or bad,like RNP says we enjoy them all!!!:D.....Don

saizo
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM
Hehe kinda reminds me of when I take the old man out now. Its more of a guided trip if you ask me. I tell my pops what to use and where to cast cuse he's so rusty now lol. Sometimes I don't even cast and just watch him. I think that makes him nervous. I'll bring him to a spot and I'm like cast it in there. He'll make like ten casts and then say there's nothing in there. And I know there is cuse there's been fish in there the last ten trips. So Wat do I do? My first cast thru BAM!! Fish on. I'm pretty sure he's dragging the bottom too much or not bouncing the bottom. Great report and story dirty always look forward to your reports.

CAL.NDN
11-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Salmon eggs go to bait hands down for river and streams.love the pic of your pops with a big ol smile carrying his fish by the gills with pride :)

PinkSalmon
11-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Well I went fishing with my dad last weekend (Sunday and Monday) and got into a few trout, nothing big. I wasn't going to post because our fish weren't anything post worthy, but I did have a great outing with my old man. We fished the middle fork next to the confluence from 9 - 2:30 for 8 or 9 trout (Sat). My dad cracks me up! Every time we go fishing, I'll tell him what to get for tackle but he always comes back with something wacky. This time his set up was 5lb white BRAIDED with a large hook for bass lol I don't bother correcting him anymore because I just want him to have fun.. and a funny thing.. we ran out of worms and my dad wanted to do one more cast in a nice pocket water hole. Having no worms, he decided to glob on 4-5 salmon eggs with a smear of procure. I was smirking at first, but then he cast out and in less than 15 sec it was nibble, nibble, fish on! He landed the feisty trout, and it was the first trout I've ever seen caught on salmon eggs!

The next day was slow.. We got into a few fish each but nothing big. My biggest was 14" and my dad's biggest was a little bigger but much more girthy! All in all, a great weekend to end an amazing season! I CANNOT WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON!!!!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz271/Aaron87schultz/Aaron_fish.jpg

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz271/Aaron87schultz/Dad_fish.jpg

fishing has a funny way of bonding fishermen. glad you guys had fun.

dirty530
11-15-2012, 04:34 PM
@ Marv: haha no, my dad does not have the same C & R policy that I do :) It use to bother me, but you only get one life and it's not worth being but hurt when your old man wants to keep a fish. The smile produced by him catching the fish is worth it. He does happen to C & R when he can, which I let him know I appreciate. In fact, the next day he caught and released the biggest fish of the day at one of my holes I consider one my most sacred spots which made me very happy to hear.

@ Saizo: Sounds like we have the same experience haha whenever I take my buddies - even the one who re-sparked my interest in trout fishing and taught me how to drift - it's pretty much a guided trip. I tell them where to cast and usually they'll catch one in 5 or so casts. And I watched my dad fish for a long time the other day without even fishing; sometimes it's more entertaining to watch loved ones experience the same excitement I often take for granted.

dabalone
11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Great to see father son have a good time together, enjoying your family members is one of this short lifes treasures, and its free.

insearchoffish
11-15-2012, 10:19 PM
That pic of your pops is classic!! What are you going to do now that the rivers closed? Fish bass?

dirty530
11-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I'll be working out, mountain biking, rock climbing, kayaking, and snowboarding until late Feb.. then I'll start fishing for big female bass. I pretty much never fish from Nov. 15 - late Feb, so I gotta find ways to occupy my time! hbu?

insearchoffish
11-16-2012, 09:52 AM
I pretty much never fish from Nov. 15 - late Feb, so I gotta find ways to occupy my time! hbu?
I pretty much fish year round! Now I will start on Bay area lakes and motherload lakes. Maybe a few sturgeon trips and a little striper action mixed in. Next on the list, Clear Lake catfish, followed by Lake Cleone Trout and a little surf fishing then hopefully lake sonoma landlocked steelies and mill creek res on the way home. Im always in search of fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dabalone
11-16-2012, 10:34 AM
I pretty much fish year round! Now I will start on Bay area lakes and motherload lakes. Maybe a few sturgeon trips and a little striper action mixed in. Next on the list, Clear Lake catfish, followed by Lake Cleone Trout and a little surf fishing then hopefully lake sonoma landlocked steelies and mill creek res on the way home. Im always in search of fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your forum name fits perfectly!

RideNfish
11-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Great report Dirty!!! I do like that pic of your dad. So what if the head is tearing off the trout!! LOL

I'm glad you posted. Good times,

CAL.NDN
11-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Hell ya! If i could give this repy 10 stars i would .......... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

saizo
11-17-2012, 01:51 AM
I put the board up last year and went back to the skis. Lol bring on the rain and let it snow baby!! Where you board at dirty? We're usually at kirkwood or squaw