PDA

View Full Version : Smoker

jmdc
11-15-2012, 02:25 PM
I want to buy a smoker to cook my salmon, but unsure what type of smoker to get. Propane, Electric.... Any suggestions much appreciated

-Justin

bobby2fish
11-15-2012, 03:06 PM
I'd say no to propane because in truth some people use 'no heat' only smoldering fruit woods and such. Others use some heat, nobody I've ever read used a propellant....(lol) Id advise downloading a recipe book because there are 10 zillion smoke recipes and methods to getting that fine product, 'smoked salmon'
Please pardon my propellent joke if it offends...If my joking doesn't offend then for RiverGawds sake invite me over when it is fini delecto magnificant....

Steve079
11-15-2012, 06:09 PM
I've got a cabinet type smoker, a Walmart item. I took me a while to get used to it, but now that I've figured it out, it works great.

It has a propane burner, that sits under a combo water pan/smoke wood pan. This is what I do.

I put a few briquets into the smoker pan, once they are lit, I put my apple or alder wood on top of that. the briquets keep the wood smoking without cooking the meat. After it's smoked to my liking, I fire up the burner, set it on low, and finish off the meat. It does a great job with fish, which is really the only thing I smoke, except for an occasional batch of beef jerky.

Here's the salmon I did last weekend. Salt/brown sugar brine, simple. Basted with brown sugar/maple syrup once the smoking was done and the propane was used.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z100/skhardwoods/IMG_3692.jpg

D. Lloyd
11-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Depends how dedicated you are...I have both electric and charcoal and I prefer charcoal. I think it tastes better but is more difficult to maintain temp. Electric are very easy to use and maintain a steady temp. My charcoal is a little weber h2o smoker cost under $80 and works great. I also have a "little chief" and it works great but more expensive.

CAL.NDN
11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I have the same set up as Steve propane and love it i smoke alot and it comes in handy plus i can keep at 125 real easy. Im gona try the charcoal trick in the pan next time Steve thanks. :)

CRABBY
11-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I have the same set up as Steve propane and love it i smoke alot and it comes in handy plus i can keep at 125 real easy. Im gona try the charcoal trick in the pan next time Steve thanks. :)Throw some Popcorn in there to!!!HeHe....Meany Me

49erbassman
11-15-2012, 08:01 PM
I use a small charcoal bullet smoker and love it. I do want a propane one though after camping with my buddy and he used his smoker to cook biscuits for a nice gravy and biscuit breakfast🍛

Sent from my iPhone

dsa2780
11-15-2012, 08:34 PM
I own an electric Bradley smoker. Works great and cleans up a whole lot nicer than the little chief smoker I used to own. I really think smokers are just subject to opinions, they all work well as long as you can maintain a temperature suitable for the density of fish in them.

jmdc
11-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Great info everyone....thanks!

Jetspray
11-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Every type of meat has a different connotation on how you smoke it for your liking. I am fortunate enough to have three types of smokers available. I am not one for electrics though. Gas types are more regulatory than most, so I would lean in that direction. As far as the wood/charcoal types you do not need to use an accelerant on the combustable material, just use shavings and a good torch to get things started, I'm just sayin':love-smiley-029::worm::moneybag1:........Jetspray

CRABBY
11-19-2012, 08:10 AM
I want to buy a smoker to cook my salmon, but unsure what type of smoker to get. Propane, Electric.... Any suggestions much appreciated

-Justin

Does anyone else have any experience good or bad with these little/big chef smokers??Any opinions?Went to use my brinkman an it got ruined by rust,locally here all we have is k mart an the chefs are all they carry....Thanks ...Don

SalmoClarki
11-20-2012, 03:11 PM
Little chief's work great. That's the smoker that got me started. Super simple and doesn't get too hot. I upgraded to an electric Bradley but still use the little chief for smaller kokanee fillets.

dabalone
11-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I also agree the little chiefs are great little smokers, easy to use and very controlled heat. They are somewhat affected if you use them outside in cold windy weather and may have to adjust your time to compensate, but simple and do a great job. My son bought me a large propane smoker cooker (smoke vault brand) it does a great job on things like flank steak, turkeys, chicken etc. but I think the burner is just too large and I can't keep the temps controlled low enough for doing a good job of slow smoking fish.

BDR
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I have two smokers that I use. The first is a big chief. It does a pretty good job; however, it is sensitive to outside temperatures when the weather is cold so I usually cover it with an insulated moving blanket when in use during the winter. The smoker is easy to use and turns out a pretty good product. The major downside is that you can't really control the temperature.

The other smoker I use is an electric Cookshack smoker. I accumulated a ton of cabelas points and used some to purchase this little smoking vault. It is very expensive for a smoker but it is closer to a professional cooking appliance than an occasional use smoker. It is fantastic. It's insulated so it is not impacted by outside temperature. It also has temperature settings so I can use it to do a number of different types of smoking, inlcuding cold smoking. It turns out an amazing product. I actually have friends and neighbors bring over meat for me to smoke for them. The Cookshack also uses a small amount of wood to put out a lot of smoke. With some experience however; you can put out a comprable smoked fish product from with the Big Chief. For cooking ribs, butts, and other meats though the Cookshack is hard to beat.

CRABBY
11-20-2012, 04:21 PM
Thanks guys,I went to k mart an picked up a little chef to test out,so we'll see.Fired it up to precondition an put in the chips,the wind was blowin an it started to rain so put it in the garage where I was workin,heater on an doors closed bout 15/20 mins an the place was full of smoke lots of it,opened some doors an let it go on smokin,had a brain fart I guess,the temp stayed hot,to hot to touch for more than a sec.so it seems to work heat wise an that was my biggest concern cuz the metal is so thin.
Guess now the learning curve from charcoal to electric starts,lol.....Don

jmdc
11-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Crabby let us know how it goes, I think I am going to wait until after thanksgiving to pick one up on sale. I am still a little undecided on what I want but I think I will figure it out by then.

-Justin

dabalone
11-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks guys,I went to k mart an picked up a little chef to test out,so we'll see.Fired it up to precondition an put in the chips,the wind was blowin an it started to rain so put it in the garage where I was workin,heater on an doors closed bout 15/20 mins an the place was full of smoke lots of it,opened some doors an let it go on smokin,had a brain fart I guess,the temp stayed hot,to hot to touch for more than a sec.so it seems to work heat wise an that was my biggest concern cuz the metal is so thin.
Guess now the learning curve from charcoal to electric starts,lol.....Don

You really can't go wrong with them Crabby, load em up and plug em in. The learning curve is getting the brine to your taste and how much smoke flavor you want (pans of chips). Then how dry you want your finished product the instructions that come with it actually are very good. After you get it down and family and friends find out what you are up to it may be necessary to find someplace to stash some for yourself.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/images/smilies/beer.gif

CRABBY
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
You really can't go wrong with them Crabby, load em up and plug em in. The learning curve is getting the brine to your taste and how much smoke flavor you want (pans of chips). Then how dry you want your finished product the instructions that come with it actually are very good. After you get it down and family and friends find out what you are up to it may be necessary to find someplace to stash some for yourself.
http://www.fishsniffer.com/forums/images/smilies/beer.gifLOL,wife won't eat anything I smoke,many years ago I trashed our thanksgiving turkey!!Too much smoke LOL,had to run to a store an buy one from the deli,cost me a lot,haha.My biggest problem where I live is the wild animals,when I use to run the brinkman at night had to do it in a locked garage to keep the coons an stuff out..other than that when I smoke stuff I don't tell!!!!!!....Don

redneckpunk
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
LOL,wife won't eat anything I smoke,many years ago I trashed our thanksgiving turkey!!Too much smoke LOL,had to run to a store an buy one from the deli,cost me a lot,haha.My biggest problem where I live is the wild animals,when I use to run the brinkman at night had to do it in a locked garage to keep the coons an stuff out..other than that when I smoke stuff I don't tell!!!!!!....Don

does this mean now you have a smoker you might actually do some more fishing? HAHA!!

~RNP

CRABBY
11-20-2012, 07:27 PM
does this mean now you have a smoker you might actually do some more fishing? HAHA!!

~RNPI had a smoker but left it out an the the water got to it.RUST!!!An I do fish but I'm not usually one of those guys that has a good time an then tells!!!!!!LOL....Unless it's a first time thing.HeHe........Don

Jetspray
11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
Some of the guys I know wrap their smokers with firewall insulation which you can purchase from a auto parts store. It helps keep the heat in during the winter. Good luck to you all, Happy Thanksgiving.........Jetspray

49erbassman
11-21-2012, 12:40 PM
I don't suggest wrapping it in fiberglass insulation unless you like the taste of glass. Those fibers come off just from touch and most smaller smokers are not sealed to keep the tiny glass particles out. Just my .02 cents from working in insulation for 5+ years when I was younger
I don't believe the stuff from auto parts store has those concerns

Sent from my iPhone

jmdc
11-21-2012, 06:36 PM
I decided to start small and get the 39.99 Brinkmann smoke N Grill from home depot. Once I get the hang of it I will think about upgrading.

CRABBY
11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I decided to start small and get the 39.99 Brinkmann smoke N Grill from home depot. Once I get the hang of it I will think about upgrading.Sounds like my ol rusted out one,mine was bought in 1985 an worked great an with the charcoal you could BBQ an fully cook stuff with it.I paid $50 for it back then(85).....Don

Jetspray
11-22-2012, 05:20 AM
I don't suggest wrapping it in fiberglass insulation unless you like the taste of glass. Those fibers come off just from touch and most smaller smokers are not sealed to keep the tiny glass particles out. Just my .02 cents from working in insulation for 5+ years when I was younger
I don't believe the stuff from auto parts store has those concerns

Sent from my iPhone

Yep that is the concern, no glass additives please:naughty:.......Jetspray