PDA

View Full Version : Halibuts at 10 mile!

halibutking
08-30-2006, 05:27 PM
Yesterday there were three of us that went out on my buddies boat. We were hesitant to go south knowing the forecast called for crappy weather, but ventured out and saw for ourselves that the conditions were definately fishable. We wanted to target halis because of the great tides that were available. So we went to our faithful spot and drifted live and dead bait. We caught 4 halis in an hours of work. 1@19lbs, 2@18lbs. 1@16lbs. We wanted some lings so we said the hell with it! lets go to the Point. We ventured to the point and it was a different ballgame. It was very bumpy and windy. Made two quick drifts and turned around. The tide was ripping. 8 oz. of weight didn't even touch the bottom. So we left and tried picking up some rockfish around the area we caught our halis. We picked up a handful of rockfish and left bwcause the wind was starting to scream. Stopped at Bodega head for about half hour and picked up one more hali. It was only 6 lbs. We called it a day and went in. 5 halis for three, not a bad day! The 4 halis we picked up were at 10 mile in 20-25 ft. of water. I caught mine on a live smelt and the rest were on dead anchovy.

Fishbutt21
08-30-2006, 05:32 PM
great report ;) I have been waiting to hear of some halibut being caught at ten mile,My last few trips for halibut have not produced anything but sharks

krzyfshrmn
08-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Awesome day out there. Congrats on the nice Butts ;)

mike22ca
08-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Sweet man....awesome report.