PDA

View Full Version : Bodega Bay Crabbing....wheather that's safe for me?



ngt
11-19-2012, 06:29 AM
I have a deep-v 12 foot aluminum boat w/ a 9.8hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on it and a small trolling motor. I've been out crabbing 3 times in it on the inside of Doran Beach. I'm planning on going there on Friday and am worried about the weather. The last time I went, I couldn't get out of the channel. The 2 times before that, it was easy. The first time, it was a bit bumpy. I get one shot at this on Friday for my vacation and I don't want to drive all of the way out there for nothing. So, what weather on the weather reports should I look for to know if I should can the trip?


Weather report now says:


67F High

Sunny

Chance of rain:0%

Wind:NNW at 4 mph

Humidity:70%

UV Index:3 - Moderate

Sunrise:7:03 am

Moonrise:2:09 pm

Tide Prediction:

Low Tide: 0111 1.4
High Tide: 0823 5.9
Low Tide: 1435 0.7
High Tide: 2119 4.3



Look like I'll be ok heading out there? It looks like a safe day, but I don't know about wind directions and what numbers and tide times result in bigger swells.

yeah, I'm new to boating, as in, I don't do it much, although I've had my boat for some time. When I do, it's usually out in a river, where I'll be safe in 10-15+ mph winds

thanks!

littledude
11-19-2012, 08:29 AM
If i were you i would wait till weds or thurs to see what the weather is really going to do. Lot could change in the next few days especially with a little storm in mid week. Right now friday has NW swells with west winds. Could make bigger swells. I would say become very intimate with NOAA and watch weather and swells. I run a 21fter and still watch weather and swells. Better safe then sorry.

Littledude

Paul_707
11-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Heres a link for the bodega swell report, use your best judgement, not worth riskin your life for crabs:cheesy: I do see alot of small boats around there, it seems to be fine most of the time
Buoy Forecast 46013 (STORMSURF) (http://www.stormsurf.com/cgi-bin/4cast.cgi?ID=enp.46013)

ngt
11-19-2012, 09:26 AM
thanks guys! For my period it says swells are between 8-10, but what does that translate to in the channel and inside Doran? Guessing that's not 10ft swells inside the bay.

thanks!

brokea--boater
11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
thanks guys! For my period it says swells are between 8-10, but what does that translate to in the channel and inside Doran? Guessing that's not 10ft swells inside the bay.

thanks!
I dont know where you got your current conditions, but I'm see'n small craft warnings. 17+ winds with 10-12' swells. I would plan on eating your turkey than heading up there. If your new to boating, the ocean is not the best place to learn mistakes. Yes the beach is protected, but a loaded 12' tinny in 1'-3' wind waves can be a bad combo. Not being negative here, but I think some caution is needed, looking at the current conditions IMHO.

ngt
11-19-2012, 01:13 PM
I'm looking at Friday the 23rd on the swell chart posted above. Maybe i'm looking at it wrong. Wondering what 8-10 foot swells outside are by the time they real the channel

JB14
11-19-2012, 01:27 PM
I'm not a seasoned salty by any means but I have learned this....

When in doubt. Don't.

JB14
11-19-2012, 01:29 PM
It's been said before but NOAA.gov is your best friend. Point and click map is great.

Friday: NNW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the morning. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...W 6 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

brokea--boater
11-19-2012, 02:56 PM
It's been said before but NOAA.gov is your best friend. Point and click map is great.

Friday: NNW wind around 6 kt becoming variable and less than 5 kt in the morning. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...W 6 ft and SW 2 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.
Its looking pretty good stating friday. I know a few that are talking about one last tuna run for the next window. -10knts of wind and a 4'-6' swell that has a 7-8+ second wave period inside the head would be a great window for you...go get'm while you can....gregg

Seon
11-19-2012, 03:30 PM
... but what does that translate to in the channel and inside Doran?
thanks!

If the current weather forecast for Friday doesn't change, you'll be alright in the channel and inside Doran. My disclaimer: Check the forecast again on Wednesday and wear your PFD.

ngt
11-19-2012, 04:24 PM
If the current weather forecast for Friday doesn't change, you'll be alright in the channel and inside Doran. My disclaimer: Check the forecast again on Wednesday and wear your PFD.


Great news!! Will check again on Wednesday and Thursday and will wear the pdf

thanks! I'll most likely bump this on Wednesday to get a better word on it than I could do myself.

ngt
11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
still look like it will be ok for me tomorrow? through the doran beach channel and on the inside dropping on the beach side?

Seon
11-22-2012, 01:08 PM
still look like it will be ok for me tomorrow? through the doran beach channel and on the inside dropping on the beach side?
I cancelled out for tomorrow because of hi wind. But if stay in the channel, you should be o.k.

Line Stretcher
11-22-2012, 01:21 PM
still look like it will be ok for me tomorrow? through the doran beach channel and on the inside dropping on the beach side?

If you don't go, be at my place at 6:00am. We'll go chase something that swims instead.

ngt
11-22-2012, 02:20 PM
We were hoping to get through the channel to the beach side of the jetty. Think that will be ok?

ngt
11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
Hey Steve, looks like i'm going. I hope it's not a waste of time. Really want to give that typed of fishing we were talking about a try. wish I had next weak off, the swells look to be nice and small.

JB14
11-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Fri: N winds 10 kt...becoming NW 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 4 to 5 ft at 11 seconds.

Uncle_Sam
11-22-2012, 06:24 PM
The NOAA has a series of weather buoys along the coast. You can get data in real time plus the marine weather report at NDBC - NWS Forecast (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KMTR.html)

This Friday, November 23 the forecast is for north winds 10 mph int he morning becoming northwest 10 - 20 mph in the afternoon with 3 to 5 foot wind waves and west swell of 4 to 5 feet at 11 seconds. In other words, it will be rough.

I have a 14 foot Klamath. I have been chewed out by a ranger for taking it out in rough weather. I would not take it out in these conditions, even off Doran.

ngt
11-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Not sure where you guys see this stuff. NOAA says this....

7-Day Zone Forecast for Coastal North Bay Including Point Reyes National Seashore (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?zoneid=CAZ505&zflg=1)

Line Stretcher
11-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey Steve, looks like i'm going. I hope it's not a waste of time. Really want to give that typed of fishing we were talking about a try. wish I had next weak off, the swells look to be nice and small.

No problem, I'll be off the 22nd through the 1st of Dec. so we'll do something then.

Eric, this is what to expect:

Fri: N winds 10 kt...becoming NW 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 4 to 5 ft at 11 seconds.

This is what you want:

Tue: SW winds 5 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 2 to 4 ft.

brokea--boater
11-23-2012, 10:13 AM
The NOAA has a series of weather buoys along the coast. You can get data in real time plus the marine weather report at NDBC - NWS Forecast (http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KMTR.html)

This Friday, November 23 the forecast is for north winds 10 mph int he morning becoming northwest 10 - 20 mph in the afternoon with 3 to 5 foot wind waves and west swell of 4 to 5 feet at 11 seconds. In other words, it will be rough.

I have a 14 foot Klamath. I have been chewed out by a ranger for taking it out in rough weather. I would not take it out in these conditions, even off Doran.

Swell 4-5'x11sec. is in no way rough. Noaa's weather bouy is 22 miles off the BB head. This is why I look at the BOON station for crabbing trips, its just off the the head. I posted a link to BOON in another thread. NOOA is a 50/50 most of the time. Just checked current wind,-5kts at the head-BOON. 10-11knts-NOOA 22 miles offshore. Looks like a nice day to me. We are going during the week to miss the combat fishing...gregg

Line Stretcher
11-23-2012, 12:42 PM
Swell 4-5'x11sec. is in no way rough. Noaa's weather bouy is 22 miles off the BB head. This is why I look at the BOON station for crabbing trips, its just off the the head. I posted a link to BOON in another thread. NOOA is a 50/50 most of the time. Just checked current wind,-5kts at the head-BOON. 10-11knts-NOOA 22 miles offshore. Looks like a nice day to me. We are going during the week to miss the combat fishing...gregg

I'm pretty sure he went out. I think he'll be o.k. too. Being it's his first time out with his 12' aluminum I wanted to make sure he was overly cautious until he got the hang of running in swell, tides, and wind waves in a little boat with crab pots, floats, etc., aboard. There won't be much swell where he's headed.

ngt
11-23-2012, 02:10 PM
No problem, I'll be off the 22nd through the 1st of Dec. so we'll do something then.

Eric, this is what to expect:

Fri: N winds 10 kt...becoming NW 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves 3 to 5 ft. W swell 4 to 5 ft at 11 seconds.

This is what you want:

Tue: SW winds 5 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. NW swell 2 to 4 ft.


thank you!

where are you looking to see this? I put in Bodega Bay, Ca and get 5 mp winds today. Ended up staying home with the fam. Cool, but not as cool as crabbing. lol

Toxic_Waste
11-23-2012, 03:18 PM
Granted, it's just my personal opinion so it doesn't mean I am "right" or "wrong", and I am pretty much overly-cautious, but I would just not want to go out in a 12-ft. boat, period. Even if the weather's good when you get out there, I've seen it change, sometimes unexpectedly, with risky conditions trying to come back in. Just sayin'.

Line Stretcher
11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Granted, it's just my personal opinion so it doesn't mean I am "right" or "wrong", and I am pretty much overly-cautious, but I would just not want to go out in a 12-ft. boat, period. Even if the weather's good when you get out there, I've seen it change, sometimes unexpectedly, with risky conditions trying to come back in. Just sayin'.

I tend to agree and I probably have more sea time than most of the folks here. I don't take my 16 footer out but I took my 22' a couple of times. Can't say I wasn't nervous though. If you're nervous and checking all the time, you'll probably be fine. If you get complacent or are just plain dumb you're going to get into serious trouble sooner or later, likely sooner.

The problem with our North Coast is that the shelf doesn't extend out like it does down south. Its a real game changer. A seasone skipper that knows the area can handle it without much of a problem but a newbie in a 12' aluminum skiff is a whole different ball game.

Eric (ngt) is smart, he won't head out if it even feels like a bad idea. I watched his eyes go wide open when we took 4 footers broadside in my boat. He's not the type to take risks and I'm pretty proud of him for getting on here and asking questions.

ngt
11-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah, not taking chances with my life or anyone elses life, but i'm just going on the inside of Doran. I've seen it rough, to rough for me, and I've seen it like glass where people are float tubing across the channel. Those are the type of days I will go out on. If things start to pick up, I wouldn't hesitate to pack it up and come in.

Line Stretcher
11-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you didn't go today? The alarm went off at 5 am and I told myself I it was time to get up but I didn't. Too lazy I guess. I'm going tomorrow I think.

ngt
11-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I didn't go. Got scared off by the warnings in here. For the best though. Wish I had next week off. Looks like it will be a good week for it. I did the family thing today. not a bit of real fishing all week. What a waste of a vacation, lol

Line Stretcher
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I didn't go. Got scared off by the warnings in here. For the best though. Wish I had next week off. Looks like it will be a good week for it. I did the family thing today. not a bit of real fishing all week. What a waste of a vacation, lol

I've got the truck backed in and my plans are to go to Sonoma in the morning. If I don't oversleep I'll probably go.

Bloodthirsty
12-10-2012, 01:00 PM
This is what an old Captain told me.........20 is the magic #. If swells and wind equal over 20...stay home.