PDA

View Full Version : Los Vaqueros 11/19

rambeez1
11-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Productive day at Los Vaqueros. Still hookin' up off of the recent trout plant. Between myself and my brother in law we would've limited out but lost 2 when we tried to attach them to the stringer. Got there around 1:00pm and stayed till around 4:30pm. All caught on various kastmasters and roster tails. We soaked some powerbait and power eggs too but those did not get touched.

Gear:
7' light action spinning rod
1500 size spinning reel
6* mono --- red bead --- 1/8oz kastmaster (orange chrome) and 1/8oz rooster tail (pink, yellow/orange, white)

These guys were hitting everything. When it started getting late we switched up our gear and started throwing swimbaits and targeted stripers and though we didn't attract any stripers the trout were pursuing the swimbaits up to shore. Gonna head out there again tomorrow.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8345/8204363473_8b03e24538.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ramberto/8204363473/)

redneckpunk
11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Stringer may be 2 lite but some nice looking fish. Great report!

~RNP

Bainter1212
11-21-2012, 06:22 AM
Now I know everyone does things their own way, but I would like to put my two cents in. I used to put my trout onto the stringer while they were still alive, thinking that they would stay fresher. I once had a conversation with a biologist who pointed out that while these live fish were on my stringer, that their stress hormones were coursing through their veins and that would probably affect the taste of the meat. So the last few years I have been whacking the trout on the brain and killing them prior to putting them on the stringer. Just my two cents, makes it easier to put those fish on the stringer. Otherwise looks like you had a great day of fishing, and got onto some real nice planters. Let us know how part two went.

RideNfish
11-21-2012, 09:20 AM
Great report! Never fished there for trout but if the lure bite is on as opposed to bait, I might have to give it a try. I can soak bait for striper then toss lures and wooly buggers for the trout. Cheers,

dabalone
11-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Now I know everyone does things their own way, but I would like to put my two cents in. I used to put my trout onto the stringer while they were still alive, thinking that they would stay fresher. I once had a conversation with a biologist who pointed out that while these live fish were on my stringer, that their stress hormones were coursing through their veins and that would probably affect the taste of the meat. So the last few years I have been whacking the trout on the brain and killing them prior to putting them on the stringer. Just my two cents, makes it easier to put those fish on the stringer. Otherwise looks like you had a great day of fishing, and got onto some real nice planters. Let us know how part two went.

This is true, stressed and dying fish do change chemically inside. During hot times of the year and high water temps you can actually slow cook them on a stringer in the surface water. Best eating fish are bled if it applies to your species and immediately killed and then put on ice. Fish begin to deteriorate rapidly after dying and why they need to be iced down.

dirty530
11-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Nice report, thanks for sharing! It's always fun when they prefer hardware vs. bait. And nice setup, I'm going to get a Shimano Sedona 1500 and I want to pair it with a 7' rod for longer casts/better control and I've been doing some browsing and am leaning toward a Shimano Crucial 7' Light or a Bass Pro 7' Light rod. What kind of rod were you using and how do you like it?

@Bainter1212: Woolybuggin taught me to snap their neck really quick. I do it because it's quick and puts em out of there misery so they don't have to feel trapped and slowly die on a stringer. Golden rule: treat others how you'd want to be treated... I'd rather someone snap my neck than drag me to their dinner plate, no?
Try this:when fishing rivers, I bring a large zip lock bag full of a brine solution. If I have to keep a trout I'll pop it's neck, clean the fish and throw the insides in the water to feed the crawdads and squaw fish. Then I'll put the gutted carcass in the plastic bag with river water and keep it a shady area of water. When I get back to the car I put it in my ice chest and refrigerate it for one night, and then I'll smoke it the following day. FRESH. If you're at a lake you can do the same or just leave the fish plane and put them immediately in the ice chest.

rambeez1
11-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Nice report, thanks for sharing! It's always fun when they prefer hardware vs. bait. And nice setup, I'm going to get a Shimano Sedona 1500 and I want to pair it with a 7' rod for longer casts/better control and I've been doing some browsing and am leaning toward a Shimano Crucial 7' Light or a Bass Pro 7' Light rod. What kind of rod were you using and how do you like it?

Sorry for the late response! I am still recovering from Thanksgiving! :seestars:
I am not using anything special... it is an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite with a Daiwa 1500 XiA. I like it so far as this is the rig I use casting from shore. With this rig I can toss rooster tails and kastmasters a good distance.

Fishinjib
11-28-2012, 11:44 AM
very nice!!! did you fish from one spot or did you walk up and down the shore?

Thanks!

rambeez1
12-04-2012, 02:11 AM
very nice!!! did you fish from one spot or did you walk up and down the shore?

Thanks!

We stayed at one spot... though that spot spanned about 75 yards of shoreline. :)