PDA

View Full Version : min/max depth(still un-answered!!)??

jon_may
08-25-2006, 06:57 AM
hey all, i thought min depth is 60' (at farallons) and max is 180' (anywhere)
i recently went out on a party boat and we fished at 30-35' (at the farallons)
and i saw a post recently where someone said they were fishing at 180' and deeper!
what gives??!!

jon_may
08-25-2006, 12:15 PM
anyone? :(

Intimidator
08-25-2006, 01:25 PM
180' every where............................

jon_may
08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
straight out of the groundfish regs...exception 4 after the table

4. Waters less than 10 fathoms (60 ft.) in depth around the Farallon Islands and Noonday Rock are closed to fishing at all times. Waters of Cordell Bank less
than 100 fathoms (600 ft.) in depth are closed to fishing at all times.

we WERE at the farallons, agood cast could of put me on the rocks...
now, i know we were fishing (on a popular party boat) in 30' of water.. the captain announced the depth, telling us to watch our tackle.. when i dropped down, it seemed acurate (about 30')
am i reading this wrong?!?!
or, could a party boat not know this?!?!

keciga1
08-26-2006, 12:28 AM
I can understand if they drift into deeper or shallow water but not if they start in either. When I went out a couple of weeks ago, to the islands, we were fishing in about 160-170ft of water but would sometimes drift into deeper water. I thought that there was a certain distance surrounding the island that couldn't be fished.

CORN
08-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Jon, those regulations are correct. The party boat was in the wrong. Sometimes all it takes is one good drift to get limits, and I guess some PBs will take that risk. I've been on a party boat salmon fishing, and I've seen "their" crocadiles hanging there next to the bait station, fully barbed... and they appeared used several times.

blue_chrush
08-26-2006, 09:44 AM
without being there,
what may have happened is while its 60-180 around the island.....
there are areas and pimples that are shallow and not next to the
island, and drifting those spots away from the island are legal...
the reg states you must stay in water 60ft deep away from the island
and doesn't say once away from land structure that if you find a
pimple that is shallower that you may not fish it....
this may be what happened.....
you think...

THE_SQUID
08-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Although it's been awhile, the last time I went on a party boat out of Berkley the first thing the captain did before starting his safety lecture was demand that anyone employed by DFG step forward. When nobody did he said it was required that they had to identify themselves. Again when nobody did, we went fishing. I think they know exactly what the laws are and take their chances when they think the odds are in their favor. Not all of them but some of them.

Big_Easy
08-28-2006, 01:26 PM
All of the PB's that I have ventured out on was pretty honest about what was going on and not out to break laws! It could've been a mix-up or screw-up! ;)

jon_may
08-28-2006, 01:28 PM
thanks all, i just wanted to make sure i understood the regs correctly- i'm sure it was a misunderstanding/error....