PDA

View Full Version : Emeryville Party Boat Report 8/26/06

gmdcdvm
08-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Just a quick report. Headed out Saturday with two buddies of mine to help celebrate my birthday. We arrived at the docks about 4:45am, boarded the Captain Hook and got set to leave.

We had a full load on this trip with about 27 anglers on board. The Captain was Bruce, and the deckhands were Randy and Floyd.

Weather: Almost perfect. Slight fog/overcast all day, relatively warm, and the ocean was nice and calm. In fact I think it was one of the calmer days I can remember out of the gate.

We started off fishing for sand dabs to use for bait later on while ling cod fishing. Within 45 mins we had plenty of these tasty little guys, and headed for the islands. We fished various spots along and past the islands for easy limits of rock fish. Overall they were mainly blues and a few olives. Every now and then some others like vermillion would be brought up. Overall the blues were a medium size with a few nice toads mixed in. Once we limited out it was time to switch over to ling cod fishing. I tried using knife jigs, diamond jigs, and 9" swim baits but couldn't get a bite. After getting tired of jigging these things up and down I decided to switch over to a 3-way set up for sand dabs.

My buddies and I basically used the 3-way's with sand dabs for the most part of the day. It was pretty much steady action on ling cod for the boat. We usually had one or two hanging at all times durring each drift. I ended up with 4, one of my buddies had two, and the other had one. The extra went to someone else at the end of the day. I also had a lot of short hits (at least 7 or 8), and I am thinking next time a trap hook on those dabs would be perfect. The dabs would come up torn or shredded just short of the head.

Here are the ling cod pics. I met Juan on board, a fellow sniffer, who was a good guy to fish with along with his coworkers who were all good people. But, I think we need to work on his picture taking skills. Thanks again Juan, and I hope you and your coworkers had a good time.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/9409/img1962pz3.jpg[/img]

At the end of the day I think we were close to limits, but can't say for certain because I don't know what kind of action the other side of the boat had. The jackpot was a nice toad ling cod which was around 20lb or more, but it was close with another fish that was almost 20lbs. As always the crew did a creat job, and we actually stayed pretty late. I think we were back at the docks at 5:30pm. Would definitely recommend the Captain Hook out of Emeryville if you are interested.
There were a lot of fun stories on this trip, but I don't feel like typing anymore. I got home, and was hosting a poker night for my birthday. My girlfriend got me a kick ass cake which I just had to post a picture of because I know a lot of you will appreciate it. Check it out Below.

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8959/img1964zp9.jpg[/img]

G

420bassgetter
08-27-2006, 06:23 PM
HEY GERRY IT WAS NICE MEATING YOU. HAD FUN THE HOLE TRIP DONT KNOW ABOUT MY BUDDY.
PS SORRY ABOUT THE PIC ALSO THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
YOU SHOULD CALL ME UP SOME TIME WE CAN TAKE A FRESH WATER TRIP.

gmdcdvm
08-27-2006, 07:16 PM
Just giving you a hard time Juan. Its tough to see through the plastic on the underwater housing to center the picture. And, at close range its even harder. Had a good time sharing the rail with you and your buddies. I'ld love to try out some freshwater fishing. Never really done it before. Keep me posted when you guys go out, and if I can make it I'm there.
Gerry

keciga1
08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Glad you guys had a blast. You should have came by so I could give you your present. Happy b-day again.

gmdcdvm
08-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Hey Ivan,
Got caught up with work and some personal stuff. Completely forgot about stopping by. You'll have to hold it for me until we go out again.
I saw your bay report. Nice.
G

CORN
08-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Nice job with the lings! Thanks for the report. Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday! :)