PDA

View Full Version : Private Boats

bretmoua
08-24-2006, 09:33 PM
I was just curious if anyone here takes their own boat out of San Leandro Marina to fish. If so, how big is your boat and how's the fishing there? What species are you catching and how far out are you going from the marina? I was thinking about taking my boat out to the ocean but wasn't sure if it would be big enough. I have a bayliner 16'7" with a 60 hp motor. Would that be ok....I mean I wouldn't be going too far out.

keciga1
08-24-2006, 09:55 PM
It depends, I would take it out of San Leandro and see how your boat acts in the water. Sometimes it can get rough in the bay. I've been out of there many times and had to come back a couple of them with my 16 1/2 ft boat. Just try it and see. Alot of it has to do with how comfortable you feel with your boat, off corse with common sense.

bluestar
08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Inside the bay the wind generally does not kick up until around noon, so any vessel can go out to the bay in the morning. A 16'7" boat should be able to handle most afternoon conditions inside the bay, if you do not demand comfort.

As far as fish is concerned, I think there is only striped bass, rays, and sharks and perch this time of the year. Occasionally a halibut. This is what I find around airport which is close by.

Big_Easy
08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
You stated Ocean or do you mean Bay! 16 1/2 foot is kind of small going out of the gate! The bay is great until noon or so! Check the wind condition prior to departing! LEAVE EARLY BOTH WAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!

CORN
08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I've never launched out of San Leandro, but wanted to give my 2 cents about going out the gate.

My boat is only 14'7" with a 70hp motor. I launch out of Richmond or Berkeley and fish the bay north of Alcatraz all the way to the Pump house in San Pablo Bay. My boat can handle anything that area of the bay has to offer, as long as I SLOW down enough.

Now, going out the gate is another ballgame. I've been out the gate only twice, and both times had to be perfect timing. With the winds, swells, and most importantly, tides, it can be VERY scary going out the gate. There was a time when I just wanted to take my buddy past the gate just to fish some of the rocky areas on the right. I couldn't even make it underneath the gate because the water was SO rough. That was the only time I dipped the bow into water. My buddy thinks he heard the prop come out too.

If I need to fish the ocean, I launch out of HMB or Bodega... no funnel effect to deal with. Hope that helps.

Chief_Sniffer
08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
San Leandro has a very nice launch ramp that generally is not crowded. It's two lanes with docks and very well protected. The channel out to the bay is about 3/4 of a mile, and I would be very wary about straying outside of it at low tide.

MB_Kevin
08-26-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm looking at a 18' boat but it seems small. I talked to the guy today and he said he would go out by the party boats and mark it on his gps and the spots are still on the gps. *He said he has caught salmon and tuna on it and taken it all over the ocean. *I was thinking of using it for the bay and lakes but going into the ocean would be cool but scary :o
Like others said here It would have to be the right day

bretmoua
08-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Thanks for everyone's replies. I had to make a correction though. I meant taking my boat out to the bay and not the big big ocean LOL. I'm sure it'll be ok in the mornings, just as long as I leave before the winds start to pick up. I'll try it one of these days if I could find anyone here to go with so they can show me the hot spots for rock cods, stripers, sturgeons, rays, sharks, or anything in the bay.