PDA

View Full Version : Any midshipmen anywhere?

kromebrite
08-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Another shark trip Saturday. NEED those midshipmen but nobody seems to have them. Anyone know of bait stores In Alameda/Berkley that has them? Squid works, but if I catch another ray I might lose it.

mike22ca
08-24-2006, 08:36 AM
We have some :D. We stockpiled it when it was available. hehe

kromebrite
08-24-2006, 09:19 AM
You're killin me * [smiley=excited.gif];) *;D Should I *publicly beg you to part with a couple? [smiley=help.gif] [smiley=worthy.gif] ;D

I am going to buy a case of those things next Spring.

Cal.Kellogg
08-24-2006, 09:45 AM
We are going on a Sniffer staff shark trip soon. We pulled all the strings we could and even now we are not sure if we will have any. If you don't come up with some, sardines make a great substitute. I grew up fishing the Hayward shoreline and I hate catching rays, especially small ones. I found that fishing half a sardine I caught big numbers of leopards and very few rays. The rays I caught on sardines were big boys between 40 and 100 pounds. In my opinion sardines draw just as many strikes as midshipmen, the big difference being that you can use a midshipman over and over. With a sardine it's one bite one bait....I've also heard that the biggest sharks consistently go for midshipmen. Back in my Bay Area days my dad and I caught 100's of leopards using both sardines and midshipmen. In all that time we landed two leopards over the 60 inch mark and both of them came on sardines.......Good luck with the search, but don't sweat it if you can't find any. Everyone has sardines......Cal

Rock_Hopper
08-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Mackerel is another good shark bait. I've noticed I haven't been catching as many rays on mackerel as I usually do on squid.

I don't mind rays except for the fact I like to fish light for sharks and the friggin' rays are putting a hurt on my Corvalus 300.

kromebrite
08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
Thank you much for those tips! We'll go get a boat-load of the sardines and maybe some mackeral as well. for Saturday.
Sorry, Mike, no begging from me today. ;) I came very close, though. ;D

bretmoua
08-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Any idea if we can fish for the midshipmen like we do the mudsucker or bullhead between the rocks?

dukedempsey
08-24-2006, 05:07 PM
sardines work! we stuck some on shrimpflies and look what happened
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6121/rockfishin82203004os8.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/440/rockfishin82203002dl8.jpg

kromebrite
08-24-2006, 09:35 PM
That is possibly the biggest sand(smoothhound) shark I have ever seen, if I have my shark types right. I'm ready 8-)

tchli
08-25-2006, 01:50 AM
I think thats a spiny dogfish shark

mike22ca
08-25-2006, 06:42 AM
I think thats a spiny dogfish shark

I think your right, with the white spots and all. Pokey *******s I tell ya! I caught one off Tomales Point and they have spines just like a catfish lol

Rock_Hopper
08-25-2006, 09:42 AM
Yeah, that's a spiny dogfish.

Most of the bays around here (Bodega, Tomales, Bolinas, and SF around Marin, Sausalito, etc.) have midshipman. I don't think very many are caught on hook and line, but if you go out on a low tide and flip over a bunch of rocks that are submerged on medium tides, you might get lucky.

keciga1
08-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Found some at TNT Tackle in Hayward. It was the last package but the guy said they might get some more tomorrow morning. I will be out on the water tomorrow. Possibly from Alameda. If I get a chance to swing by tomorrow morning before I leave I'll pick up some more, that's if they get anymore.

MoMoney
08-26-2006, 06:09 AM
What about the bait store on the way to SL marina?Im goin rockfishin sunday but will probably bring some shark gear for some variety on the way home.I like the mackeral also.I find the packages with the big ones and use them whole.Slice em from the tail to about half way up to get a little more scent out.When my buddies are messin with anchovies and squid I always go to the big mackerals and they laugh until i get the 30 pounders,then they all switch over till theres no bait left for me.How rude!!