PDA

View Full Version : Hey crabbers question

CDK
12-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Would have posted on cooking but I had nothing to do with cooking or catching.
Bought two at a big chain store today The meat seemed softer than usual hard to get out of shell as it broke up rather than the usual sections. No unusual smell or taste.
Any ideas what or why? A friend had the same thing two weeks ago from a different chain.

PapaGreg
12-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Not sure if this will help, but, MOST crab you buy after the first two weeks of the season is frozen. Found this out after a crab boat washed-up at the end of Kelly avenue in half Moon Bay, the crew fell asleep and missed the turn into the Princeton harbor.

We picked the boat up and transported to the company location, the owner gave us all the crab we wanted and told us about the freezing operation.

Seon
12-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Not sure if this will help, but, MOST crab you buy after the first two weeks of the season is frozen....

Yes. Unless the crabs are in a holding tank and alive, most others have been "previously cooked" and frozen.

BTW the weather looks good today so headed out in a few to do some crabbing http://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/wink.gif.

CDK
12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Freezing doesn't quite explain why of all the store crabs I have chowed on these two have the soft meat. This is a new experience for me the crabs I bought last week were great.

Reel-Lentless
12-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Crabs are probably coming from a different area then the ones you previously bought, my guess is the early season crabs were from shallower water and the crab your getting now are from deeper water, just my guess. Crabs from different areas and different depths are all diiferent in quality and taste.

Seon
12-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Crabs are probably coming from a different area then the ones you previously bought, my guess is the early season crabs were from shallower water and the crab your getting now are from deeper water, just my guess. Crabs from different areas and different depths are all diiferent in quality and taste.

Bing, bing, bing...we have a winner!

Could it also be that the soft one was previously frozen, thawed then refrozen because it didn't sell that day? ... I just http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/DUNNO.gif.

CDK
12-04-2012, 06:07 AM
After doing the south o border quick step most of Mon the wife and I think that improper handling somewhere between ocean and us may be the culprit.:yikes:.