PDA

View Full Version : Type of power bait?

Starscream
12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
What type of power bait does best at amador? and pardee?

HMONG_James_Vang
12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
just my 2 cents. since i won't be fishing there anytime soon, what's worked very well for me is chartreuse, but the key is to form it into a marshmallow shape, not ball.

O.mykiss hunter
12-04-2012, 08:16 PM
When I fished there several years ago the hot colors were rainbow and chartreuse, with added garlic scent. I've seen people catch them with all different colors and scents though.

flip1199
12-04-2012, 08:24 PM
In my experience there isnt really a magic color. I was there early last month using chartreuse power bait in the shape of diamond and hit limit from shore in a couple hours. Went back and used the same color/shape and a few diff locations for 5+ hours and not even a bite. Switched to a pearl white crappie jig and hooked on 2nd cast but it broke loose. Your best bet is to bring multiple colors as well as other lures to see what they are bitting on that day. I might try tomorrow morning, so if I do i'll report back on my success.

Starscream
12-04-2012, 10:16 PM
oh wow ty for the answers

Captain Compassion
12-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Insted of Power Bait try Berkley Gulp insted. Costa a little more but it's worth it. Try the chartreuse.:)

CC

Starscream
12-04-2012, 10:29 PM
bobbler or sinker and glitter or regular

MarkdaShark19
12-04-2012, 10:38 PM
original rainbow powerbait no glitter or nothing. I have fished it everywhere right next to everything else on the market and nothing has ever out performed it as far as bait goes, save your self some money and catch more fish. I have to suggest though in my own personal experiences at Amador powerbait is usually not the way to go. It catches fish, but you'll usually catch a lot more fish throwing crappie jigs or flies from the bank. If you do fish power bait fish it 3ft under a bobber. Fish there are on top and cruising the surface for the most part.

TroutGhost
12-05-2012, 08:39 AM
>>>you'll usually catch a lot more fish throwing crappie jigs or flies from the bank.

Do you think it's because when the bait falls into the water it is simulating hatchery pellets splashing down?

Recently caught a few planted trout on splashdown using micetails. I examined the stomach contents of a planted trout last night and it was filled with brown pieces of wood and dark colored seeds, things it may have mistaken for hatchery pellets, possibly eaten after having splashed down in the water or simply eaten because of the color, dark brown, or shape.

Jetspray
12-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Thing is I carry different types in my box everytime I fish. Change up colors and types if the bite is not on. Crappie jigs in white or black work well, you might even try suspending them under a bobber at different lengths. Trick with jigs is to let them bob up and down and move them in slowly. If you are fishing the bottom with one let it hit bottom, give the pole a slight jerk, let it hit bottom again and do this all the way back pausing a few seconds between jerks and stops. You might even put some of your favorite scent in the back of the skirt to let scent out as you retrieve. Good Luck in any case........Jetspray

RideNfish
12-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Recently caught a few planted trout on splashdown using micetails. I examined the stomach contents of a planted trout last night and it was filled with brown pieces of wood and dark colored seeds, things it may have mistaken for hatchery pellets, possibly eaten after having splashed down in the water or simply eaten because of the color, dark brown, or shape.

DANG!!! You mean I could of saved tons of dough $ on bait by just putting wood chips on my little hook??? I could of bought a boat with the money I could of saved. ugh...:-)

dabalone
12-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I remember years ago reading an article about planted trout and how quickly they were being caught. They found trout raised in pens that were being hand fed by hatchery personnel walking down the runs and tossing in pellets became conditioned to seeing the person feeding them. When released in streams these trout would actually come out and follow people anticipating something hitting the water.

TroutGhost
12-05-2012, 10:32 AM
That's an interesting study, about the trout becoming accustomed to humans tossing food at them. Here's a video that illustrates the point. This guy slingshots brow pellets into a small lake then chucks some powerbait into the same spot. Within a minute his rod is bending with a caught trout. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBio5xLkaTU

Maybe I'll switch out to brown colored tube jigs and see how that works, or save money by attaching the wood chips with a split shot up the line (JK), lol.

Troutoholic
12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
I think trout worms work better, but a good mix is the garlic scent with the cheese.

ncreys
12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
When it comes to power bait at Amador, variety is the key.IMO. Last winter I killed it from the shore with spring green and nymph scent pb.; this winter i haven't caught anything on either one. I've caught fish at Amador on rainbow glitter with garlic scent, white with glitter(worked well right at the dam), and combining pumpkin scent and garlic power bait works good also. Since you'll be spending money on power bait, you might want to spend a little more and purchase some mice tails or power eggs and power worms. i last fished Amador two sundays ago, from the shoreline, about two coves past the spillway, and only threw out power combos on my bait pole and i hooked 4 nice rainbows. orange eggs with garlic scent and a green power worm was the choice of the day as well as white power eggs and an orange power worm. On the right day, at the right spot, at the right time, they'll bite on anything. Haha...Good luck.

Steve079
12-05-2012, 08:46 PM
This guy slingshots brow pellets into a small lake then chucks some powerbait into the same spot. Within a minute his rod is bending with a caught trout.

Heard of that being done with a handful of sand, same results. I like to have bait, when I fish with it fall slowly through the water column. A powerworm, hooked right though the nose with a 12 egg hook, has great action. Just adjust the weight to control the rate of fall.
I hate using powerbait, what a mess. Doesn't mean I don't have it, just tend to use it when other means fail. I tried the gulp eggs, orange garlic, work awesome. and don't forget the old stand by, Salmon eggs.
I've also put power worms on a Kastmaster, to SLOW its descent, it has an unreal action with a worm pinned through the nose on one of the treble points

Marv
12-05-2012, 11:04 PM
A powerworm, hooked right though the nose with a 12 egg hook, has great action. Just adjust the weight to control the rate of fall. I've also put power worms on a Kastmaster, to SLOW its descent, it has an unreal action with a worm pinned through the nose on one of the treble points

+1 Steve.

I like a spilt shot 18" above the trout worm/crawler/jig and #12 hook. Cast out and stick out your index finger on your hand that hold the rod as you reel, so that the line hits your finger. Gives a nice swimming action.

I like power worms on the hook of a kastmaster too. I also cut the tail off of my ripped mini jigs just above the cuts (looks like a hula skirt) and then i remove the treble and feed it through the skirt and reattach it and it also has a pretty nice action.

As far as power bait rainbow garlic is my favorite, works everywhere. Salmon peach is a close second. Like Steve said i'll use it too, but nothings funner than getting slammed as your day dreaming while your retrieving a lure. If you haven't tried them check out water bobbers and wooly buggers.

flip1199
12-06-2012, 10:23 AM
I was out there yesterday for a few hours. Started trout fishing around 7am and landed my first trout around 7:20, then next fish landed around 7:45. Didn't hook my next one until 10am but he got away as I was trying to pull him up (I need to get a net). Was using chartreuse pb under a bobber. Guy next to me caught one when i showed up using night crawlers.

Plug-n-Jug
12-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I was out there yesterday for a few hours. Started trout fishing around 7am and landed my first trout around 7:20, then next fish landed around 7:45. Didn't hook my next one until 10am but he got away as I was trying to pull him up (I need to get a net). Was using chartreuse pb under a bobber. Guy next to me caught one when i showed up using night crawlers.

Heres one you can try. When using a tube jig, take the tube off and put it back on backwards with he skirt facing forward. Then put a small dab of PB over the hook. Retrieve it slowly and pop it now and then. Or you can just cast it out and let it slowly sink. Crazy action that the fish cant resist.

MarkdaShark19
12-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Heres one you can try. When using a tube jig, take the tube off and put it back on backwards with he skirt facing forward. Then put a small dab of PB over the hook. Retrieve it slowly and pop it now and then. Or you can just cast it out and let it slowly sink. Crazy action that the fish cant resist.

Now that's an idea! Never heard of it but it sure sounds killer. Will have to give it a try someday.

Jetspray
12-08-2012, 07:34 PM
You can also use a tube jig like a bobber, put a piece of plastic worm just inside the skirt (make sure it is big enough to seal the end with some soft plastic adheisve on it). Run your hook through the worm end without puncturing the air bubble you have created. The tube will float and if you put scent on it, you should enjoy the results......Jetspray