PDA

View Full Version : Micro braid?

Marv
12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm gonna switch to 8lb. Power pro (2lb. Diameter). Does anyone do this? Im probally gonna use a 18" leader of floro. Main reason being that I want my rapalas and other lures back. I know to set my drag loser, but I was just checking to see if anyone else fishes braid for trout.

Not looking for info on mono or Floro.

salmonid
12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I was in MT and didn't bring a rod. Bought a little spinner loaded with 8 lb braid and used it to catch some very nice cutts, bows, lakers, and even a few bull trout. I did use a mono leader of a couple of feet.

I liked the way it casted way out there and it didn't get wound up with memory.

Best,

Jetspray
12-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Yeah that is why I like the nanofil too......Jetspray

Line Stretcher
12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd love to try that stuff but I can't see it or feel it well enough to tie a knot. I've gone back to mono and FC for most everything. Use it while you're eyes and circulation are still with you is what I recommend. There will come a time when you won't be able to. Trust me! Jetspray will agree I'm sure.

ApexPredator
12-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I use it for just about every application including trout fishing. Works great.

hooks
12-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I use Fireline and Nanofil. However, my floro leader(top shot) is slightly longer than 2 feet...about 28 feel on the Nano and 88 feet on the Fireline longer.

I have found that they both pop out of my DR clip much easier than the floro.
:biggrin:

Marv
12-06-2012, 06:20 PM
some guys toss 6 and 8lb. Mono so 2lb. Braid is like sewing thread and has to be way less visable than heavier mono. If the fish can see that good you think they would fear the hook and not the line. I keep reading when I Google search the issue, that a lot of people tie direct and use no leader at all.

Captain Compassion
12-06-2012, 06:29 PM
I'm gonna switch to 8lb. Power pro (2lb. Diameter). Does anyone do this? Im probally gonna use a 18" leader of floro. Main reason being that I want my rapalas and other lures back. I know to set my drag loser, but I was just checking to see if anyone else fishes braid for trout.

Not looking for info on mono or Floro.

My oft time fishing partner Jetspray uses Berkley Nanofill. It has an extremely small diameter, no memory and no stretch. He uses a floro leader. This is great line however 300 yards of the stuff costs more than my reel. Perhap-s Dave will talk about it.

Berkley® NanoFil | Berkley Fishing (http://www.berkley-fishing.com/line/nanoFil)

CC

TroutGhost
12-06-2012, 09:13 PM
Is there a downside to spooling up 125 yards of braid with a mono backing? I assumed that's why braid is sold in 125 yd spools, in addition to larger configuations.

As for nanofil, nanofil isn't a braid. A braid consists of multiple strands braided together. Nanofil is manufactured differently. It's a single line, not multiple lines braided together. Here's what it says on the nanofil web page:

Not a Mono. Not a Braid. The Next Generation of Fishing line. NanoFil is made out of gel-spun polyethylene, much like a superline. This ultimate spinning reel fishing line consists of hundreds of Dyneema® nanofilaments that are molecularly linked and shaped into a unified filament fishing line. Dyneema, The World’s Strongest Fiber™, gives this line superline type strength and our uni-filament process makes it feel and handle like a smooth monofilament

Marv
12-06-2012, 09:27 PM
I wanted to try manifold, but I've read quit a bit of bad reviews, and for $20 I'm not wanting to chance it as I've used Power Pro in bigger sizes fir bass.

Power pro has 5lb.(1lb. Mono diameter) 1 pound mono diameter is pretty thin. I think it would be more difficult to see the braid that 1lb. Mono diameter, then say 6lb. Mono.

ApexPredator
12-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Another consideration for braid is that it sinks faster than mono. Mono is more of a floating line and braid is a sinking line. It is said this will help your lure get down faster, but I don't know that as a fact.

TG, braid actually floats and if it does sink it sinks slower than mono. That is why a lot of top water guys use it because it does not affect the action of the lure.

TroutGhost
12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Right, braid does float. I have been looking at braid for saltwater, as it's pretty popular for that application.

Marv
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Not all braid floats. I've seen a couple brands that offer sinking braid, spiderwire is one.

O.mykiss hunter
12-06-2012, 11:44 PM
I use to do exactly that, use 8lb PowerPro. I really liked the sensitivity of no-stretch as well as the fact that you will have a hard time breaking off braid when fishing for trout. It also casted very far because of its thin diameter, and a single spool would last me an entire season. However although the no-stretch of braid offers a lot of sensitivity I prefer a little stretch when actually fighting a trout. Also when using Powerpro I noticed that it didn't sink very fast if at all, so when I used sinking jerkbaits the lures didn't actually sink any farther than if I was using floating jerkbaits which is a big problem for me. This year I opted to spool with a copolymer, Pline Floroclear in 4lb test. It has a little stretch but not as much as regular mono, kind of a happy medium between braid and mono. Floroclear is also very thin for its lb test rating and it actually casted just as well as braid for me, if not better. I came to the conclusion that there are simply compromises with every type of line so I guess you'll just have to try it out and see what works best for you. I'm loving it so far and I don't think I'll go back to braid.

Nighthawk
12-07-2012, 01:20 AM
I've been using braid (Power Pro) with a flouro leader (usually 4 - 5 ft.) for nearly every application for many years. Limited stretch, fairly good abrasion resistance, long life, etc. Only downside I've found is that it tends to absorb water, so in the colder weather your guides will ice up quicker. It does float, which makes it great for topwater (bass) or float fishing (steelhead).

Jetspray
12-07-2012, 06:20 AM
I'd love to try that stuff but I can't see it or feel it well enough to tie a knot. I've gone back to mono and FC for most everything. Use it while you're eyes and circulation are still with you is what I recommend. There will come a time when you won't be able to. Trust me! Jetspray will agree I'm sure.

To some degree I agree, my eyes are deminished but I wear proper glasses with polarized lenses. Dexterity is on the decline but that is true for most fishing gear on tying. There are a great number of knots that work well on braid of any type. Thing about nanofil so far is casting distance, if you put a little line lubricant, of your choice, on it the casting distance improves dramaticaly over other lines. I have also noticed that it does not wear on the eyes of your rod. I have not used it much for trolling yet, but I bought it specificaly for shore casting anyway. I have a collection of about 20 rods that I use for different applicantons (in the wizzard's cave garage), each has a different type of line for that application........Jetspray

Jetspray
12-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Not all braid floats. I've seen a couple brands that offer sinking braid, spiderwire is one.

Most "unlibricated" lines float. If you use tanglefree or some other lubricant it will break the surface tension that is related to line float. It is not necessairly air in the braid that makes it float just the surface tension. Tanglefree and other line lubes have some soap in them that causes the surface tension to break free.........Jetspray

Owlman2
12-07-2012, 07:25 AM
I have a counter opinion...

I used 10lb Power Pro for a while and I experimented with Nanofil too.

The number one thing I hated was having to always use a leader. I fish almost entirely by casting, using light lures, and the leader is always a PITA. If you connect it with a swivel then you have to awkwardly cast with the lure hanging 3 feet or more from the tip of your rod. All the splice knots I tried to tie line to leader dragged (at least slightly) on the guides when I was casting. Also, I never trusted those knots. Everytime I would hang up and have to break off, 100% of the time the line would break right at the splice knot. And, it always felt like it was breaking at well below the rated strength of my leader. Admittedly this might have been partly because of the lack of stretch of the braided line, but it gave me a major confidence problem regardless.

The other issue, braided line is very vulnerable to twist. It the braid gets significantly twisted, its rated strength goes down dramatically. Twist is difficult to avoid with spinning reels. I once hooked a very large rainbow using 10lb power pro tied to a ball bearing swivel with 8lb flourocarbon leader. After a 30 minute or so fight....the fish surged and the braid snapped above the swivel. Not the 8lb leader that broke, but the 10lb braid. Based on the feel, I would estimate it broke at around 3 pounds. I think this occurred because the fish had been taking a lot of drag and I probably failed to 100% follow the doctrine of not reeling while drag is going out. Thus the failure was probably due to line twist. My fault? Yes. Would it have happened with mono or floro line? Nope. So not only did I lose a "fish of a lifetime", I also left the fish trying to survive while towing 3 feet of leader and a swivel. Experiences like that leave an impression on me...

Which brings up another drawback of braid.... The stretch in mono and floro lines that we all hate becomes our very best friend when we hook a large fish on light tackle. It serves as an ideal shock absorber. Braid is much less forgiving in this sense....

Don't get me wrong....braid has its place. I use it fishing soft plastics for bass (with level wind reels) because of the feel and the hook setting capacity....and because I can usually get away without using a leader in that venue. I also think braid is practically essential when trolling long lines....the stretch of mono makes it almost unusable when you have 100+ yards of line out.

Braid also casts fantastically, I must admit.

Plug-n-Jug
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
I am using 4lb. Berkley Crystal Fireline. Its thinner than sewing thread. Works great for trout.

Jetspray
12-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Owlman2 I feel your pain about casting a swivel type hookup, but you might try another type of knot or line. I use a doubble loop on my swivels and a different type on the leader side. I also use smaller swivels and not so much of a leader. It is all in how you apply the presentation. You don't have to swing your pole like a cowboy using a whip to get the lure in the water. I fish with a guy who breaks the sound barrier with his rod everytime he casts with P-line. I outcast him everytime sitting in a easy chair........Jetspray

calamari
12-07-2012, 03:39 PM
I use 6# and 8# braid for two of my trout trolling outfits and also for striper trolling if I'm using a small lure and want it to get down. Casting with it is fine unless you get a knot of any sort that gets jerked tight. Virtually impossible to untangle w/o nicking some filaments and losing confidence in the line's strength at that point. It doesn't rot or lose strength even if years old, and I've never had it get a twist with a good quality spinning reel. If you manipulate lures like top water lures it will tend to get wrapped around your rod tip more than mono especially in wind.
I know you asked about trout but once you use it you'll use it for more types of fishing.
Oh, and it cuts like a knife too so be careful even tying the knots!

Jetspray
12-08-2012, 03:09 PM
Not all braids cut quick, some are more supple to the touch. I find the older type had teflon along the outside and would pick up debris and alge/muck easily. Newer types are closer woven and have less abrasion. Just an observation.......Jetspray

Darrel McFarren
12-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I use 10 lb power pro with a 6' 8 lb fluorocarbon . Works great never any problems .

Darrel McFarren
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
I use 10 lb power pro with a 6' 8 lb fluorocarbon leader. Works great never any problems .

Jetspray
12-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I use 10 lb power pro with a 6' 8 lb fluorocarbon leader. Works great never any problems .

I use much the same setup but I prefer the Nanofil over the power pro, I have both in the line box for use.......Jetspray

kcdeadeye13
12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
I use Nanofil and can't say enough about how great I think it is. I love being able to cast so far. Tying the leader isn't a problem. I use the knot Nanofil recommends. I also set my drag plenty loose. I caught an 18.5 pound catfish at Melones on 4 pound Nanofil while casting for trout this last spring. The stuff is great.

Kern

calamari
12-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Not all braids cut quick, some are more supple to the touch. I find the older type had teflon along the outside and would pick up debris and alge/muck easily. Newer types are closer woven and have less abrasion. Just an observation.......Jetspray

I meant cut you like a knife. It's not what the line picks up that cuts, it's the braid on the line itself. The fused lines aren't as prone to do it. I've cut myself deeply with just a minor slip while under a lot of tension tightening a knot with braid when my hands were soaked .
I fished with a member who went on a long range tuna trip and got attached to a large tuna that he couldn't keep in front of him and that went across the boats anchor line. His 80# braid cut the 1 1/2" synthetic anchor line before he could do anything about it. Lost the anchor and got the stink eye from the crew for the rest of the trip. Some long range boats won't allow it to be used. Just be careful.