PDA

View Full Version : Salt Springs 12/10

insearchoffish
12-10-2012, 10:17 PM
After a hard day of fishing yesterday was happy to sleep in till 4:30 this morning. BornToScout picked me up at 5:30 after the yaks were loaded and secure we were off. Made our way up the hill for my first sierra adventure in december, destination Salt Springs. After carrying the yaks down the hill or should I say rocky talus slope, I eagerly hit the water and began trolling. One pole with wild thing and worm other pole with baby bow trophy stick. (Still need to call the company and talk to the about cracking issues) Had a worm stealer within the first 10 min, then got the little bugger on the next go around. If it were legal I would have seriously considered trolling it around for bait, in other words not the monster Im searching for. Had to paddle to the sunny side for a little while to warm my feet.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/Warmingfeetinsun.jpg

We worked our way toward the back of the lake picked up a few more little guys along the way on the wild worm combo.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/Saltbo1.jpg

On the way to check out the inlet I was looking in the 39 deg water and to my surprise about 5 feet down I could clearly see an old Indian grinding rock. Should have clicked a pic, oh well heres one looking toward the inlet

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/Inlet.jpg

Stopped in a sunny spot to have lunch only to have the sun dip behind the ridge after about 5 minutes, had to chase it down the beach. Heres my view for lunch...

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/LunchSpot.jpg

Trolled all the way back and only got one more small rainbow on an orange and gold tasmanian devil. There are some really cool rocks around here if any of you are into that sort of craziness.

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj494/redwoodcoastceramics/Headedback.jpg

Also If any of you have any tips that you would be willing to share with me about this lake I sure would appreciate it. PM if you want.

Thanks Kevin

Bainter1212
12-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Too bad you guys didn't get any of the big browns that are supposed to be in there. I'm sure it was cold as all get out up there. Nice catch with the grinding rock spot. I'm sure that canyon was a beautiful Miwok summer camp spot back in the day. Probably teeming with game and native fish.
I plan on hitting Salt Springs in the spring despite this report. Hopefully a bit more water might stir up the trophies :)

RideNfish
12-11-2012, 06:00 AM
Great report Kevin. Nice pictures too. Not dynamite fishing but like real good to me.

pcwa_guy
12-11-2012, 08:33 AM
That's a pretty looking lake! Kind of looks like Hell Hole. I've heard stories of monster trout coming out of there! Looks a lil to bit of a blue bird kind of day for the bite to be good.

Marv
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Dang dude, you get around. To all the good looking spots too. At least the view was nice, sorry no monster browns. Did it look like it's possible to bank it there? I know it not very bank friendly, but your lunch spot looked good. Unless it guarded by steep cliffs.

insearchoffish
12-11-2012, 09:41 AM
Marv- The lunch spot was on the south/west side of the lake so access would be super difficult. There is quite a bit of good bank access all along the north shore, theres a trail that leads back to the inlet. Drops off really fast on the North, at one point I was only 20ft from the shore and it was over 100ft deep. Looks really banker friendly with the water this low might be a different story once the water goes up.

PCWA- I was wondering if the beautiful weather may have had an impact. Great day for a paddle (just about 10 miles) but if those fish were at all spooky, the water was like glass most of the day. Yea ive heard rumors as well of monster cutts and browns and bos coming out of there have yet to see any in person yet though, maybe next time.

CCreek
12-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks Kevin for the great post with pictures. I'm new to kayaking, but have enjoyed a couple mountain lakes so far. Even when the catching isn't so great, just being out in nature with no noise but the birds and wind is awesome.

Thanks again,
Tom

schatgun
12-11-2012, 10:58 AM
That lake is very touchy....one day its slow and eery, the next day its lights out. All about timing....& presentation. Ditch the worms.

I drag my little 12' beer can there w/ my quad.....My boat is snowed in now @ my buddies cabin otherwise I'd take you out there & show you what works for me....looks like the water is @ the same level it was when I talked to you in Sept. or is lower?

After the snow melt I'll give you holler & we'll give it a shot....

As far as bank access....it horrible, both the access & the fishing....not worth the painfully long drive back in there. I have 90% of my luck fishing the south bank which is pure cliff.

insearchoffish
12-11-2012, 06:49 PM
I never made it up in sept. last time I was there was in July and the water was alot lower. Its a good ten feet below the measuring board on the damn.

tomaniacal
12-13-2012, 01:10 AM
The secret for me anyways is to bring the kids. I tried the lake for the first time last Jan. with my 8yr. old son and 14yr. daughter and had decent luck on a bright but cold sunny day. I went 2 weeks later with a frind of mine from work on a crappy weather day and didnt get a bite. Then i went with my brother back in Oct. and didnt get a bite then either.