PDA

View Full Version : Smoked trout

Joe_Local_Guy
12-11-2012, 05:32 PM
For me the Lake Davis trout are only a second to Eagle Lake trout. In fact these trout may be of that variety. Do trout in different lakes taste better than others?
The red/orange color. This is after an overnight soak in the brine.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/Joelocalguy/100_0680.jpg
Then I add a little brown sugar and lemon pepper
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/Joelocalguy/100_0681.jpg
After smoking. Mighty tasty.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c107/Joelocalguy/100_0678.jpg

danweasel
01-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Now THAT looks good!

Can you give me your brine recipe? We did some last week that came out way too salty by following an internet recipe. It was like eating trout flavored Pringles... But worse than even that sounds, hahaha.

-Dan

Steve079
01-23-2013, 06:18 AM
Can you give me your brine recipe? We did some last week that came out way too salty by following an internet recipe. It was like eating trout flavored Pringles... But worse than even that sounds, hahaha.

You didn't mention what kind, or what size of fish you were smoking. To each his own on smoking trout, but with the average size of the trout and or Kokes caught up here in the foothills, I get great results with a simple method.
I just soak the fillets for between 24-48 hours in terryaki sauce. remove the fillets and sprinkle with whatever else you want to add. Garlic powder, ground red pepper, lemon pepper brown sugar, what ever.
then smoke them.

I don't bother brining them, but if you want to, just adjust the soak time. Brine always leaves the meat a bit salty in my opinion.

danweasel
01-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Yeah mine were a "bit" salty.

I am going to try your method but maybe with less time in teriyaki, I like it ok but its not my favorite.

Oh and the fish: It was just one. A 3.5lb Brown Trout that soaked in a rock salt and teriyaki brine for about 36 hours.

-Dan

Steve079
01-23-2013, 10:21 PM
I would of suggested maybe 4 hours.

the terriyaki flavor is real mild, use apple, alder, or cherry. I think oak, mesquite and hickory are too strong for freshwater fish in general.

You could also try just salting the fillets like you would to eat them, sprinkle brown sugar and LP, and do some that way. If you get a couple limits experiment with your favorite seasonings. I don't know how many limits of Kokes and trout I smoked finding a method that my family really enjoyed. We like the method I described to you, and smoked just until the edges start to look dry. There is enough oil in the fish to keep them moist when smoked to this point.

danweasel
01-24-2013, 07:54 AM
Sounds like good advice to me. Thank you very much. I will get on it this weekend!

-Dan

CATKILLER
01-25-2013, 05:31 AM
BRINE

1 tsp garic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp allspice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corse salt (sea salt)
2 T lemon juice
1 liter cold water
1/2 cup apple juice

RUB

1/2 T garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 T coriander
1 T chili pepper
1/2 T salt
1 tsp cumin
1 T paprika
1/2 T oregano

Brine for 4 hours in frig. remove and rinse off fillets and place on paper towels and pat dry.
let fillets dry in room temp. for 2 to 3 hours (should be nice and shiney)
springkl rub on fillets and rub in.
Spray grill rack with Pam to keep from sticking. Smoke with cherry wood or apple, alder for
4 hours,Spraying lemon juice in the fillets every hour.
AND HOT DAMM IT'S TIME TO EAT

On the brine i double it and add 1 hole box of brown sugar and with the rub
i times by 6 to have more for the next time.

Makes about 20 fillets
You can go to youtub to see how to fillet the trout
Good Luck
I just posted this on a diffrent thread, this recipe come's out nice an moist if your trout are good size.
you can give it more heat the last hr.(180 temp.) and take off 1 hr smokeing time.

This is a repost from last year i have found that the rub is great for makeing
pulled pork. Just take the rub and put all over a 5lb pork butt roast
and place in a roasting pan and place in oven set at 225 and cover for 8 to 10 hr's
it is done when you can pull the bone out and all the meat stays in the roaster
put some meat on a bun or roll and some BBQ sauce and you are good to go.
Good Luck
CATKILLER :odie:

iggybabble
02-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Remember most Teriyaki sauces/glazes/marinades are based upon soy sauce, which has a ton of salt already! If you combine a brine with salt and teriyaki your likely to have way too much salt. By reducing the moisture in the fish, and adding smoke your basically adding and/or concentrating the fishes own flavor, even without a bunch of salt.

Jetspray
02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
Remember most Teriyaki sauces/glazes/marinades are based upon soy sauce, which has a ton of salt already! If you combine a brine with salt and teriyaki your likely to have way too much salt. By reducing the moisture in the fish, and adding smoke your basically adding and/or concentrating the fishes own flavor, even without a bunch of salt.

+++1 salt is an enemy of taste for me, you need to lessen the salt and increase (slightly) the tastes you like (no matter what it is) and if you have a vaccum sealer you can increase the flavor by vaccum sealing the brine and fish.........Jetspray

CrappieJed
02-26-2013, 08:38 PM
+++1 salt is an enemy of taste for me, you need to lessen the salt and increase (slightly) the tastes you like (no matter what it is) and if you have a vaccum sealer you can increase the flavor by vaccum sealing the brine and fish.........Jetspray
I agree JS some of these brine recipes i read are over powered with seasonings a good brine only needs few items. especially trout is a light fish to smoke so it really can make those salty seasonings and rubs stand out

CJ

Jetspray
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
I agree JS some of these brine recipes i read are over powered with seasonings a good brine only needs few items. especially trout is a light fish to smoke so it really can make those salty seasonings and rubs stand out

CJ

Trout is a very delicate meat in the first place, and oversmoking it turns it to shoe leather anyway. I like to taste things, not just gag them down:grin::grin::grin::grin:........Jetspray