PDA

View Full Version : Bodega Crab and Rock Fish December 11, 2012

GuyBrown
12-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Dungeness crabs (released 4 females), 30+ rock fish to 1# all released. Kevin Wilson invited me to join him and his good friend Sam Bobb (Kokoloco) for a day pulling, re-baiting, resetting 6 crab pots and rock fishing out of Bodega. Crab pots off Carmet, rock fishing near Timber Cove. My first time on a private boat pulling crab pots. I learned a lot: Crab pots take up a lot of room in the boat; large ice chest required for bait; crab bait bags; holding tank for the crab; crab pot ACE puller; boat hook to grab pot float; 3 person job; wear life vest at all times; “Assistant Puller” holds back strap of “Pullers” life jacket while he pulls the pots; cleaning and steaming the crabs back at the ramp requires propane tank, crab pot, beer, vinegar, water, crab spice, gloves, 60 minutes; wash down of boat, trailer and motor takes 20 minutes using Kevin’s salt wash away solution. All of this makes for a very long day (up at 4:30 a.m., back home at 9:45 p.m). Air 51-58*. Water 58.2*, clear. Sky cloudy. Wind N 5-15 mph. Tides for Fort Ross L 2:55 a.m. H 8:54 a.m. L 4:05 p.m., H 10:57 pm. Crabbing is a lot of work! Great time with Kevin though and a pleasant surprise meeting Kokoloco (Sam Bobb). Thanks for the invite Kevin.