PDA

View Full Version : Trout fishing at Lake Tabeaud orTtiger creek Res lately

stefanoflo
12-20-2012, 01:08 AM
anyone done any Trout fishing at Lake Tabeaud or Tiger Creek Reservoir Lately ?. I heard they open all year for free.

PapaGreg
12-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Yeah, there's no charge to fish either place, but, unless dfg plants them, the fishing is REALLY tough. I took the grandson to Tabeau about a month ago and we didn't even get a bite. We did see some fish swirling and jumping, but no takers on anything; worms, lures, power bait, eggs, etc.

Bainter1212
12-20-2012, 07:40 PM
+1 on Papagreg's comment. Insearchoffish and I fished Tabeaud on our yaks for half a day about 6 weeks ago for no fish, not even any bites. A few rollers, so they are there but wouldn't touch anything. As for Tiger Creek, I haven't fished it but I hear it's hell to get out to - as in a crazy long drive.

RideNfish
12-20-2012, 08:52 PM
As for Tiger Creek, I haven't fished it but I hear it's hell to get out to - as in a crazy long drive.

Nope, not tough to get to. Marv and I did Tiger, Tabeaud, and lower sierra Moke in the same day. :p

oldgeezer71
12-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Nope, not tough to get to. Marv and I did Tiger, Tabeaud, and lower sierra Moke in the same day. :p

Just curious, have you fished Tiger Creek Reservoir in the winter? If so, what do you use, lures, bait?

RideNfish
12-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Just curious, have you fished Tiger Creek Reservoir in the winter? If so, what do you use, lures, bait?
Sorry, no winter experience and only have been there once for a skunk. I will
try again though. :-)

soarwitheagles
12-20-2012, 11:35 PM
My wife and I have fished Tabeaud and often not done so well.

Never done well at Tiger Creek ever. We have done well at Bear River and Caples in the past. Now, I think it is too cold and perhaps frozen over too.

Caples was wild a few weeks ago. Knocked em' dead there. As in four casts, four fish landed.

I think it is frozen over now. We snow shoed in and it was beautiful. Now I am nearly certain it is too late to fish there.

You may want to ask other people here.

Have a good one!

Soar

PapaGreg
12-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Bainter, you might be thinking Salt Springs for the crazy drive. I've driven the road from Tiger creek to Salt Springs and it's time consuming, probably closed to the public this time of year. You can get there a little easier off of hwy 88.

larson.jason
03-26-2013, 05:37 PM
I have fished both areas since about 1978 they are very productive from both shore and kyak browns are plentiful native rainbows are hard to find but with some work they are present. A lot of people give up on the lake but fish it with crickets light lines and light weight. Drifting the inlet in a kyak is the best. And try Tabeaud in the middle of a rainstorm from the parking lot north east shore line toward the inlet with Kast Masters tipped with a small portion of night crawler deep. Good luck.

Captain Compassion
03-26-2013, 07:34 PM
I have fished both areas since about 1978 they are very productive from both shore and kyak browns are plentiful native rainbows are hard to find but with some work they are present. A lot of people give up on the lake but fish it with crickets light lines and light weight. Drifting the inlet in a kyak is the best. And try Tabeaud in the middle of a rainstorm from the parking lot north east shore line toward the inlet with Kast Masters tipped with a small portion of night crawler deep. Good luck.

I've heard stories of Tiger. Aren't there two Tigers. Tiger Creek and Tiger Regulator? Welcome to the Sniffer LJ

CC

tomaniacal
03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
There are actually three places at Tiger Creek. The afterbay, regulation res. and a forebay. I have fished all three and have either done great or haven't got jack. Doesn't seem like there is an in between. The best luck I had was in the fall.

pcwa_guy
03-26-2013, 10:02 PM
My wife and I have fished Tabeaud and often not done so well.

Never done well at Tiger Creek ever. We have done well at Bear River and Caples in the past. Now, I think it is too cold and perhaps frozen over too.

Caples was wild a few weeks ago. Knocked em' dead there. As in four casts, four fish landed.

I think it is frozen over now. We snow shoed in and it was beautiful. Now I am nearly certain it is too late to fish there.

You may want to ask other people here.

Have a good one!

Soar

Actually my friend usually goes that way to Salt Springs via past Tiger Creek he took his gal up there last week and she caught this she also got a 7 pound German Brown a while back too. I hope to get out there sometime with him. He has shown me alot pictures of big trout coming out of there!!! I've only been up that way once a few years ago. When I was there it made me really want to try the flowing stretch between the two lakes too it looks really fishy!! But when you're working no time for fishing! :-(

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/4837/imgp1803a.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/546/imgp1803a.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

PapaGreg
03-27-2013, 05:16 AM
Was that from Salt Springs? Nice fish. Did your friend mention how the road conditions are, any snow, rock slides, etc.?

larson.jason
03-27-2013, 06:12 AM
I've heard stories of Tiger. Aren't there two Tigers. Tiger Creek and Tiger Regulator? Welcome to the Sniffer LJ

CCActually three tigers, Tiger Creek, Regulater, For bay. All are good with some time spent figuring them out. Regulater by far has the biggest browns 9 lbs are not uncommon.

saizo
03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
That looks like a big rainbow to me not a brown. Long and skinny like a steelhead

CrappieJed
03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
My cabin was just up the road from those lakes know them well. You want some nice browns out of Tabue PM I tell you the trick

CJ

Shoreman
03-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Stefanoflo, email me at mkautz@volcano.net. I want to talk to you offline.

Mark/Shoreman

pcwa_guy
03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
That looks like a big rainbow to me not a brown. Long and skinny like a steelhead

I wrote, "he took his gal up there last week and she caught this she also got a 7 pound German Brown a while back too." Sorry if you got confused thought I wrote it clear enough. But I was talking about two fish, one in the picture and one they got awhile back. Maybe he can send me a picture of the German brown and I will post it too. :)

pcwa_guy
03-31-2013, 08:26 AM
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/9826/imgp1742f.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/203/imgp1742f.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

There is brown I mentioned before it was from a few weeks ago.

JacksonAngler
05-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Fished Lake Tabeaud from about 5:30 to 7:30 last night. I started at the upper end where the water is released into the lake and worked my way down to the lake. I landed 2 nice browns: 1 12.5" and the other 11.5 ". using a Mepps Black Fury. I also had a nice rainbow hookup but lost it near the shore. AND I didn't know there were largemouth bass in the lake, but in one of the coves I caught and released a 9 " bass. It makes sense that there are bass in here as the lake stands at about 2000 ft elevation and the the water gets pretty warm during the summer. It's a beautiful little lake when the water is up......good place to kayak too! I've also caught plenty of trout out of the North Fork of the Mokelumne running into Tiger Creek Reservoir but never caught anything in the lake.

saizo
05-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Yup there's bass in the lake just not many of them. That's an awesome looking brown!! I'm jealous lol

JacksonAngler
05-30-2013, 01:49 PM
That's not my brown, if that's what you're thinking......it's from someone else's older post. But the 2 browns I got were beautiful. I'm going back this evening. Usually I go up and over and fish the Carson or Red Lake, but Tabeaud is only a 10 min drive from my house, so I'm going to give it a shot again. Anyone seen any legal sized bass come outta Tabeaud? I must admit I wwas stunned to catch a bass there.

USMCmatt
06-01-2013, 06:53 PM
10 years ago I used to kill the browns at Tiger Creek. They would only bite on meal worms. it's better when the water is low, that way you can get out to the main channel at the head waters. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago, and it was a wasted day. well not wasted, but didn't get a bite.