PDA

View Full Version : Iggybabble

CRABBY
12-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody has heard from or anything about iggybabble?He has been a great help lately but hasn't logged on for almost a month!!Thanks for any info...Don

iggybabble
12-22-2012, 08:58 PM
I've been missing in action! Actually, I don't fish much saltwater anymore, and with my beloved eastern Sierra mostly closed, I've been doing other stuff. I'm spending a bunch of time with our horses, and working an occasional day on a charter boat or two, either sightseeing or transporting people and supplies out to the Farallones. My wife and I have decided we have grown tired of californias politics, cost of living, etc and our goal is to move up to Oregon next year. It appears that the state of California will be managing it's trout fisheries in a different manner, and we've come to the conclusion that we can get more value for our dollars in Oregon, and can get enough property to board our horses onsite. That's what's happening, no health or other crises, I just haven't gotten around to checking in here.......merry Christmas and happy holidays to all! Bob

dabalone
12-22-2012, 09:53 PM
I've been missing in action! Actually, I don't fish much saltwater anymore, and with my beloved eastern Sierra mostly closed, I've been doing other stuff. I'm spending a bunch of time with our horses, and working an occasional day on a charter boat or two, either sightseeing or transporting people and supplies out to the Farallones. My wife and I have decided we have grown tired of californias politics, cost of living, etc and our goal is to move up to Oregon next year. It appears that the state of California will be managing it's trout fisheries in a different manner, and we've come to the conclusion that we can get more value for our dollars in Oregon, and can get enough property to board our horses onsite. That's what's happening, no health or other crises, I just haven't gotten around to checking in here.......merry Christmas and happy holidays to all! Bob

Happy Holidays to you and yours also. Joining the exodus from CA, totally understandable. Best of luck

Barleycorn
12-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Hey Bob! Tell Tubby I said hello! I have to say that I've thought about Oregon as well, someday maybe, but just cant do it right now. Good to hear from you bud! Check your pm and give me a jingle if you want to fish a few lakes on the 80 Auburn side. I have a new #.

CRABBY
12-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks Bob for letting us know whats up.I hate it when good people just disappear,I get all worried an stuff!!!Oregon sounds nice,wife an I are lookin at places to go as we speak,this state an it's politicians have ruined it.....:oregonian_winesmile.....Don.....PS at least log in now an then so I know your'er not in prison for using to many treble hook's!!!

Katfish
12-23-2012, 12:38 PM
My wife and I have decided we have grown tired of californias politics, cost of living, etc and our goal is to move up to Oregon next year.

Isnt that the truth. Funny, i too have been looking towards OR

iggybabble
12-24-2012, 11:32 AM
We have been investigating Roseburg, Or. It's climate isn't too different than the SF Bay Area, weather climate, that is! Politically, quite different! Around 22,000 people, on I-5, about 50-60 miles to the coast, 100+/- miles to the hwy 97 corridor, lots of miles of streams and rivers nearby, plenty of lakes of the same caliber and fishing quality as Alpine and Mono counties, at least one brewery in Roseburg. All my favorite trout fisheries here in Ca are mostly 200+ miles away, and with what I've heard regarding Brown and DFG's new direction for management of trout fisheries and planting statewide, the direction doesn't look positive. My wife and I have 4 horses, and we need a place that will have enough room for us to board them on our own land. Roseburg and the outlying areas have plenty of horse properties, and at prices that are more affordable than here. I don't like the summer heat in the central valley or foothills, and I prefer the mixed forest of Oregon's I-5 corridor over dry and flat.........here in ca, I still feel like I will be hostage to this states radical environmentalism, and I much prefer a friendlier attitude towards my hobbies........in January or February, my wife and I are planning on taking a 3 or 4 day road trip up there to seriously look it over. We were in Oregon in late 2007 for a week, and we really enjoyed it.

Bainter1212
12-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Good luck. There are some parts of Oregon that are fantastic. I am partial to the Hood River country just south of the Columbia. Also like the Rogue. Big fish in big river country. Merry Christmas.

salmonid
12-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I love the Roseburg area too. Great fishing for salmon and steel all year long, good trout also. The economy is kind of limited so I hope you are retired.

Good luck and the locals will warm up to you faster if you don't mention you are from CA! LOL.

iggybabble
12-25-2012, 10:07 AM
What I find interesting and kinda sad as well is the fact that many of the folks who post here are saying the very same thing.............many of us are either looking outside of Ca, or at least considering a move. Own guns, an off road vehicle or dirt bike, hunt or fish, and it seems like the Golden state really doesn't care about you any more! From what I saw before in Oregon, it appeared that they really didn't like the California mentality more than they disliked individual people, and if you went to Oregon and appreciated for what it was and had to offer, you likely will get along fine..........a Very Merry Christmas to one and all, and good fishing in the New Year.......Bob

mike_l
12-25-2012, 11:26 AM
anyone who was here when the pop of Ca was more like 12 mil than 40 mil wants out if they have any sense and aren't senile yet.

CRABBY
12-25-2012, 12:14 PM
What I find interesting and kinda sad as well is the fact that many of the folks who post here are saying the very same thing.............many of us are either looking outside of Ca, or at least considering a move. Own guns, an off road vehicle or dirt bike, hunt or fish, and it seems like the Golden state really doesn't care about you any more! From what I saw before in Oregon, it appeared that they really didn't like the California mentality more than they disliked individual people, and if you went to Oregon and appreciated for what it was and had to offer, you likely will get along fine..........a Very Merry Christmas to one and all, and good fishing in the New Year.......BobThey don't care an they know people are leaving.A word of caution,I heard somewhere that calif.is charging an exodus tax on your profit from a home sale etc.if you leave within a year of selling/cashing out,not sure if it's true though,any lawyers,financial types out there???This state needs an wants money,so who knows!!...Merry Christmas everyone....:cheers:

oldgeezer71
12-25-2012, 11:28 PM
I agree with everything you have stated. We moved to Lebanon, OR about 20 miles east of I-5 on Hwy 20 in the early 70's and lived there for about 6 months, also disgusted with CA. We vacationed there one summer and fell in love with the outdoors, hunting and fishing. We even bought a cow, had fresh milk and made butter! I had to return to CA due to the lower wages in the area. At that time, Tom McCall was governor and hated Californians moving into HIS state. Anyway, to get to my point.....I was told to immediately obtain Oregon license plates for all of my vehicles as the crazies were vandalizing vehicles with CA plates. As you know, the real estate is very favorable as compared to CA. Good luck with family and horses on your move. Fishing license is $33.00 + $17.00 for added second pole.

oldgeezer70

iggybabble
01-15-2013, 01:34 PM
Okay, latest update.......coming up 1/25-1/28, my bride and I are driving north to meet with a realtor who specializes in horse properties along the I-5 corridor from Ashland north to probably half way to Roseburg. We have seen some interesting listings in an around Grants Pass, and at prices that are amazing........I just might end up living within spittin' distance of the Rogue River. Lots of real estate up there has been on the market for 6 months and longer, so apparently it's a buyers market.......I'll keep ya updated!

Marv
01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
I have family in OR. Ashland, Klamath Falls, and Bend. Bend is my favorite place and i'd love to move there one day. The town looks like a brochure for an all American town. Don't try and pump your gas or you'll get yelled at, lol.

CRABBY
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Okay, latest update.......coming up 1/25-1/28, my bride and I are driving north to meet with a realtor who specializes in horse properties along the I-5 corridor from Ashland north to probably half way to Roseburg. We have seen some interesting listings in an around Grants Pass, and at prices that are amazing........I just might end up living within spittin' distance of the Rogue River. Lots of real estate up there has been on the market for 6 months and longer, so apparently it's a buyers market.......I'll keep ya updated!Bob,eariler ya said wife,now it's Bride,did ya just get hitched or are you just a romantic kind of guy????Congrats either way your both lucky an good for each other!!!....Don

salmonid
01-15-2013, 09:45 PM
Nice, That is a great place! Good people, good fishing, but kinda hot in the summer.

If you are getting into rural land make sure you inquire about water rights (pumping from a well or river). Not 100% sure, but I understand farms are limited to water used. Wouldn't want your horses to get thirsty.

Best,

Okay, latest update.......coming up 1/25-1/28, my bride and I are driving north to meet with a realtor who specializes in horse properties along the I-5 corridor from Ashland north to probably half way to Roseburg. We have seen some interesting listings in an around Grants Pass, and at prices that are amazing........I just might end up living within spittin' distance of the Rogue River. Lots of real estate up there has been on the market for 6 months and longer, so apparently it's a buyers market.......I'll keep ya updated!

westcoasterjim
01-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Wife and I keep hoping to move to myrtle point OR. It's about 20/25 miles east of Coos bay. Very nice area and great hunting and fishing.

Jim

GNappers
01-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Politics suck here but I would really miss fishing Monterey Bay for Salmon, Cod, Halibut, White Seabass and tuna on the outside. I love SF Bay and all the opportunities to fish trout around Burney, Sac, Tahoe etc. Just got into duck hunting a blind on the bay and began making bacon wrapped duck appetizers, duck burgers and duck jerky. It's too bad a lot of our waters are getting closed and regs are getting strictor but if we all leave then "they" win. And by "they" I mean the "hippies". I'll be up in Oregon in April for a buddies wedding and hope to fish for some trout and sturgeon. Sorry your leaving that is one less informed person here.

dpars
01-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Iggy, I have loads of family living in the Grant's Pass area, and have spent much time (including living there for about a year) all around that area. It's very beautiful and has a wet, but moderate climate. The area has a real sense of community that has disappeared in most of California. The job market isn't the best, but if you're retired or have some money put away, you should be able to live quite comfortably. My Aunt and Uncle live right on the Rogue, and it's great to sit out on the porch with a beer and watch the fisherman do there thing.

All I can say is Good Luck. My family and I have been contemplating leaving Cali for a little while, and is starting to look like a reality. We're thinking the other direction, though, probably Nevada(I get tired of the rain).

brokea--boater
01-16-2013, 07:46 AM
Last year, I worked in Arizona for about 4 mos. That's when I truly realized how far left California has gotten with the anti outdoor Bezerckly types. I too would join the parade out of this state in a heart beat,but my wife could not live away from our kids and grandkids. Good luck to you, I hope you find something that works for you.

iggybabble
01-29-2013, 06:33 PM
well, we met with a realtor in Grants Pass, and she showed us a bunch of properties........we bought a 1906 farmhouse on 3 acres less than 1/2 a mile from the Rogue River......me, the wife and the horses will become Oregonians in the next few months

49erbassman
01-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Congrats. Or. Is one of my choices if we ever leave Cali

Sent from my iPhone

salmonid
01-29-2013, 10:01 PM
Congrats!

I'm already thinking about retiring back in OR after being in CA for a month. Just kidding, kind of.

Best,

reeltor
01-30-2013, 08:59 AM
Bob- congratulations on finding a ranch. Built in 1906? Should have some real character and history. Grants Pass is a great location - so many options in all directions. Watch out for the OR Highway Patrol around there...

Reeltor

RideNfish
01-30-2013, 10:00 AM
...less than 1/2 a mile from the Rogue River..\

Oh my!! All I can think of is steelhead!!!!! And many choices of rivers in a small area. Congrats!
Does the house have that 1906 look? Love to see pics.

iggybabble
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
My wife is pretty knowledgeable on older house architecture, she knows the styles, periods, design, etc. She said it's typical Late Victorian farmhouse design