PDA

View Full Version : folsom lake

wearegods1
12-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Went trout fishing for a couple hours at Folsom today and my Godson and I ended up with 6 keepers. 4 of them are really nice 14-16inchers and a couple real dinks thrown back to grow up. Caught most on toplined worm behind a dodger about 175-250 behind boat. Also got a couple on a small cop car needlefish. Had a good day for just screwing around. Another fisher gave us a couple to make a nice meal on his way out. Frying 'em up tonight.
fishinjames.com

insearchoffish
12-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Sounds like its time to cross folsom off my list! Thanks for providing the details. Any pictures? We love pictures!

red boat
12-28-2012, 06:42 AM
It was a really nice day out in the sun at Folsom yesterday. Had fun chatting with you James the fishing will get better. Now if i had not lost those 2 nice fish...oh well.

KAYAK4FISH
12-28-2012, 08:04 AM
The sun was shinning bright on Folsom yesterday, I was out in the red kayak if you saw it. Trolled for almost 7 hours only two fish. Call it exercise!!!

wearegods1
12-29-2012, 05:46 PM
ended up wit 3 limits of trout and a nice king caught on needlefish at 8 feet. Caught quite a few on toplined worms behind a sling blade, a couple on redboats needlefish, and a couple on cop car needlefish. Got a few small ones but a majority of them were over 14inches. Including 3 over 16inches. Sorry about pics, light was running out and was eatin 'em for dinner. Will post some pics next week. Will have to admit the king we caught was a suprise and had big sperm sacks and was shaped like a football. Sorry about the spelling errors but am tired.
fishinjames.com

red boat
12-30-2012, 06:26 AM
Just another nice day at Folsom. The Kings are getting into spawn mode so good fishing is ahead. Hope you had a great fish fry James.

RaptorJet31
12-30-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the report guys we are heading out there Tuesday. Are you running a flasher in front of your needlefish? Ive done real good with the salmon out there but this will be my first time targeting trout in the cold months just trying to get an idea of how to fish for them.

Thanks!
Hoss

wearegods1
01-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the report guys we are heading out there Tuesday. Are you running a flasher in front of your needlefish? Ive done real good with the salmon out there but this will be my first time targeting trout in the cold months just trying to get an idea of how to fish for them.

Thanks!
Hoss
I've been doing better with the needlefish trolled plain about 2-2.5mph about 175-200' back. use downriggers to about 6-8 feet down or just a couple small split-shots.
fishinjames.com

wearegods1
01-01-2013, 11:31 PM
got a limit of nice trout today for the first day of 2013. All fish caught on needlefish. Nada on the worm. Here is the pic for all that have asked previously. Not bad for only a couple hours. The fish today were not in front of the dam, but rather by the floating crapper. Trout seem to prefer shallower water the past couple weeks. Caught them in around 50 deep water about 6 feet down on downrigger.
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y453/wearegods1/James11-16-12_zps5715c96b.jpg

dsa2780
01-02-2013, 12:36 AM
Seems to me that the trout in Folsom prefer minnow imitation lures above any other bait. I was there banking it on Sunday and as me and a friend bait fished in the same spot with worms, roe and marshmallows, all the strikes I got that day were on my rooster tail spinner, the fish just seemed to ignore the bait.

I couldn't make a solid hookset on any of them though, they would follow the spinner to the shore, see me and swim off. Lost the only solid hook up on the rocks as I went to go land him.

Whatever, I haven't caught a fish since October with the delta being so blown out , seeing a few trout chase my lure was all I needed for a fix.

red boat
01-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Sorry to have missed you on the 1st James but was there Monday and caught 7 kept 3 nice ones for supper. All around the floating ussreleif (crapper) and if you look at what they have been eating it is all shad minnows they are full of them. that is good news for everything in the lake lots of chow well see you thursday at the crapper...LOL

wearegods1
01-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Seems to me that the trout in Folsom prefer minnow imitation lures above any other bait. I was there banking it on Sunday and as me and a friend bait fished in the same spot with worms, roe and marshmallows, all the strikes I got that day were on my rooster tail spinner, the fish just seemed to ignore the bait.

I couldn't make a solid hookset on any of them though, they would follow the spinner to the shore, see me and swim off. Lost the only solid hook up on the rocks as I went to go land him.

Whatever, I haven't caught a fish since October with the delta being so blown out , seeing a few trout chase my lure was all I needed for a fix.
my advice for banking it on Folsom or just about any lake is to go small with bait. If you use a treble hook with power bait, leave the tips of the hook exposed, and use small worms. Worms behind a dodger has been my best bait trolling for trout except for yesterday.

wearegods1
01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Took my wife to Folsom for a couple hours in the morning for these nice 8 trout. Couldn't quite scratch out 2 limits before my wife's hair appt. Darn hair appointments!!!! The largest went 16 inches and tangled up 3 of our lines. What a mess but worth it!!!
http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y453/wearegods1/trout1-7-13001_zps83eeb028.jpg

CRABBY
01-08-2013, 04:43 PM
James your wife an her hair look fine!!!!Save the hair dresser money an buy gear instead!!!JMO..:cheeky-smiley-006:PS...Nice fish too!!!!!!

wearegods1
01-09-2013, 12:22 PM
James your wife an her hair look fine!!!!Save the hair dresser money an buy gear instead!!!JMO..:cheeky-smiley-006:PS...Nice fish too!!!!!!
Thanks Crabby,
Let me know if you are interested in trout fishing at Folsom anytime next week or so as my wife will be visiting relatives in East Coast for 10 days and I will be all by my lonesome self. I've got all the gear so you just need to bring yourself. Probably after the ISE show
fishinjames.com