PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Pier this week

bretmoua
08-14-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm thinking about going fishing off the pier in berkeley. Any recommendations on what I should be fishing for besides stripers, halibut, and rays? What would you recommend me using for bait? I've been hearing that you can use cast nets while fishing on the pier, can anyone confirm that? Thanks in advance. ::)

StripeSideChaser
08-15-2006, 06:19 AM
I'm thinking about going fishing off the pier in berkeley. *Any recommendations on what I should be fishing for besides stripers, halibut, and rays? *What would you recommend me using for bait? *I've been hearing that you can use cast nets while fishing on the pier, can anyone confirm that? *Thanks in advance. * ::)
Besides striper, halibut and rays? Smelt. Also, the occasional shark. Yes, you can use a castnet for baitfish. I was out last weekend in the evening and saw one hali come off the pier, but it's gotten pretty slow for most of the good fish. The baitfish I netted were small anchovies, no shiners nor topsmelt. Also, if you aren't used to throwing there, make sure you take a good look at the bait you catch... several times this year I've brought up salmon smolt in the net, mixed in with the anchovies or smelt. Dropping one of those in your bait bucket would be a very expensive mistake!
You can also catch perch along the pier using pile worms near the pilings.

bretmoua
08-15-2006, 01:37 PM
anybody else gone out there with any fishing report? :o

timetofish
08-15-2006, 02:47 PM
My uncle fished it two weekends ago(08/05) and hooked into two rays using squid. His son caught what I believe were perch using pile worms. Good luck!!!

bretmoua
08-16-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the update everyone. I will be fishing the pier tomorrow 8/17 and report on whatever I catch. ;D

gmdcdvm
08-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Try asking on www.pierfishing.com.
Lots of guys fish Berkeley Pier on that site.
Gerry

bretmoua
08-18-2006, 12:39 PM
I was finally able to get out to do some fishing yesterday. *First I went to Pacifica Pier for about 3 hours with no luck except for a few small shiner perch and anchovies. *LOL. *After that, I went to Berkeley Pier. *Got there around 5:45pm and fishd until 9pm. *Sad to say, I didn't get a single hit. *Wait, I did get a hit and I got it in. *I caught a finger size anchovie. *I used it for bait and still didn't get a hit. *A couple guys caught 2 limit size stripers. *Towards the bathroom area, the perch were hitting. *I didn't think they were hitting that well because the guy fishing there only caught 2. *So around 9:15 I left that place and made my way around to the wall in Harbor Bay Parkway, close to Oakland International Airport. *I got my poles setup, with grass shrimp and within minutes, I got my first bite. *I pulled in a 29 inch leopard shark. *I planned on taking it home to cook but it starting smelling very bad so I threw the shark back into the water. *I didn't realize the shark had such a strong urea or ammonia smell even when it's not dead. *Anyhow, after catch that shark, the place went dead for 30 minutes. *Around 11pm, I was getting ready to pack my stuff and sleep in the car LOL. *As I pulled in my line, I noticed a funny little fish on there. *Carefully looking at the fish, I saw that it was a midshipmen. *Surprisingly, the booger had bit my shrimp and was stuck on the hook. *So being happy, I toss the booger out. *As soon as the midfishmen landed in the water, I felt a tug. *So I set the hook and behold, I reeled in a 27 inch striper. *Luckily, I still had my midshipmen. *So I threw it back in and didn't get another hit all night. *Around 1 pm, I called it quits and headed off to sleep in the car. *Woke up in the morning at 4:30 and fished the same area where I caught the striper, and nothing....even though I was using the midshipmen. *Didn't have a bite all morning. *Fished til 8:30 am then came home. *Overall, the fishing was ok. *Would have been better if the fish were cooperating but that's how fishing is. *Some days it's on and other days, it's off. *
here are the pics of the leopard shark and striper:
http://img424.imageshack.us/img424/5219/dsc00158jv2.jpg
http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/4539/dsc00159lk2.jpg
sorry the pictures are kind of bad. it's a good thing i'm not a photographer LOL

ReelHabit
08-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Leopards have to be 36" to keep. *Good report

bretmoua
08-18-2006, 01:36 PM
thanks for the shark regulation

Landlubber
08-18-2006, 02:28 PM
I've read that sharks have to be bled immediately upon capture to prevent the urea from seeping into the flesh. In this case it was a good thing that you didn't as the fish was undersize.